Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   6.7 Ford Long Block (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1525467-6-7-ford-long-block.html)

K8NMA 01-24-2018 01:55 PM

6.7 Ford Long Block

Can anyone on here tell me what consists of a long block motor when ordered from Ford? The dealership has ordered a new long block for my 2011 F350, I just wasn't sure what all was included.

Thanks in advance!

Just Strokin 01-24-2018 03:32 PM

Generally a long block in the short block and heads. Short block would be complete with crank, rods, pistons etc. The long block has the heads installed. They should need minimal items off your old engine along with the accessories such as alternator, water pump and similar items.

K8NMA 01-24-2018 03:46 PM

Ok, thanks. So what about the oil pump?

OneCylinder 01-24-2018 05:20 PM

If I had to guess I would say yes. Crankshaft, cam, timing gear, oil pump, lifters, push rods, rockers, reman or rebuilt heads, pistons, rods, bearings, seals and gaskets. No oil pick-up tube, no oil pan, no front or rear engine covers, no water pumps, no manifolds/valve covers, no exhaust manifolds, no turbo, no fuel pump, etc, etc.

HRTKD 01-24-2018 06:34 PM

From Wikipedia (I have no idea how correct it is):

Long block is an automotive term for an engine sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder head, camshaft (usually), and valve train. A long block does not include fuel system, electrical, intake, and exhaust components, as well as other components (see below for a more complete list).

-Short block. The long block is always a superset of the corresponding short block.
-Cylinder head. A cylinder head assembly is installed with a head gasket and torqued to specification. Complete cylinder heads include valves, valve springs, valve guides (if applicable), valve seats (if applicable), valve locks, and valve keepers. Flathead engines include the valve train if it didn't come with the short block.
-Camshaft in most engines. On many engines with timing gears, the camshaft is timed.
-Oil pan and possibly valve covers.

A long block engine replacement typically requires swapping out parts from the original engine to the long block. These parts include the oil pan, timing cover, valve covers, intake manifold, emission-control parts, carburetor or fuel injection system, the exhaust manifold(s), alternator, starter, power steering pump (if any), and air conditioner compressor (if any).

willydmax 01-24-2018 07:01 PM

This probably isn't how the 6.7 long block comes but recently I ordered and installed a Motorcraft reman long block 5.4 in a customers 2007 F150 and it came with almost everything installed, even had oil in it and oil filter. I had to transfer intake, alternator and new coil packs. I was impressed.

K8NMA 01-24-2018 08:44 PM

Ok, thanks for all the helpful info.