Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Anyone else loose the turbo v band bolt? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1525051-anyone-else-loose-the-turbo-v-band-bolt.html)

T-wood 01-21-2018 04:09 PM

Anyone else loose the turbo v band bolt?

I know it's a terrible ?. But in the middle of uppipes. I lost the bolt for the v band clamp from turbo to collector. I had to remove it to get it out. I heard it fall. I've looked everywhere...what I need to do is turn the truck upside down and shake it!

Alright flame on....and any suggestions appreciated.

B

Walleye Hunter 01-21-2018 04:29 PM

Look on top of the tranny.

T-wood 01-21-2018 04:57 PM

I did. I looked for it topside...felt around from below. Crawled all over looking. After an hour of this I gave up. Napa had an exhaust clamp that looked exactly like it. So 35$ later I'm back at it.

AllaboutMPG 01-21-2018 05:44 PM

mechanics mirror on stick is how i usually end up finding lost hardware

similar to this

hydro man 17 01-21-2018 05:49 PM

There is an outfit that specializes in hardware of all kinds. I think it is called Fastenall but I am not sure. Brain f**t at the moment.

SaintITC 01-22-2018 06:22 AM

I dropped a short 8mm socket years ago changing out the DS battery. Found it last fall sitting inside the frame rail when I was looking for the longer 8mm socket I had just dropped...

Sous 01-22-2018 10:31 AM

Not on the truck, but still a funny story.

Years ago I drove a 1997 Supercharged Grand Prix. I was changing the oil and knocked the oil fill cap off the top of the engine. It did not hit the floor. I looked for a very long time for that thing, and never did find it. I had a buddy drive me to the nearest Napa and bought a filler cap that would fit the common 3.8 liter. 3 years or so later I was changing out one of the headlight housings and found the cap lodged between the sub-frame and the radiator...

I picked it out of there and laughed at it for a second, then threw it at the trash can nearly as hard as I could...

Walleye Hunter 01-22-2018 10:50 AM

It is amazing how far and in what direction stuff will travel when dropped. When I'm at my wit's end and trying to find something that fell I take something as similar to it as I can find and drop it the best I can in the manner which the first one fell. I have found a few lost articles that way, not all but some.

SaintITC 01-22-2018 11:00 AM

The extended bolt for the p/s valve cover, the ones that the GPR mounts to. I dropped one over the exhaust manifold, never found it. So I did what you said, drop the other. I now have two studs with nuts holding the GPR in place.

Tugly 01-23-2018 05:57 AM

I have a magnet extension that's pretty powerful, and I keep it at the ready every time I work over the engine. That thing gets its fair share of use... it's strong enough to retrieve the wrenches I drop.

friskyjake 01-23-2018 04:10 PM

Magnet

I know this story does not relate to bolts & nuts. Way back in 1974 I ordered a new ford f250 4x4 auto xlt truck. I came with a 360 fe engine, I drove it home to the shop[12 miles] & pulled the engine & replaced it with a 1968 fe 427 side oiler engine. I did not care about warranty then. After getting use to the truck , I did some hard burn outs. Wow with 4.10 & fords posi it was quite exciting till I broke a L side axle . Anyways to get some of the axle junk out I needed a magnet. Well I needed a a really strong one to pull some of the big pieces out. I found a telescope magnet that will lift a 3ilb weight. It worked. I keep the magnet covered with a 1 inch heater hose & it stays in my truck. Now I,m a lot older & I don,t do that with my powerstroke f350. Thanks for reading, Friskeyjake