Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   turbo chirping has begun (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1524864-turbo-chirping-has-begun.html)

speakerfritz 01-20-2018 11:01 AM

turbo chirping has begun

well, the infamous turbo chirping has begun. sound is from the vanes/vane acuator system and not really from the turbo bearing. the acutal sound is like predator birds or ravens squaking.

so another thing to put on the list .

DieselDenny 01-22-2018 02:25 PM

What's your plan of attack? Is it Hi or low pressure side?

Any loss noticed in performance or boost or just the audible?

Denny

speakerfritz 01-22-2018 03:10 PM

It’s strange
It hasn’t happened again.

DieselDenny 01-22-2018 03:29 PM

Thanx Fritz,

Think it was a mod sinking in?

If it rears again, do you have a plan in place.

Knowing you, you had a 4th and 1 plan in the mix.

Denny

speakerfritz 01-22-2018 03:53 PM

im contemplating putting in a 60ml injection nozzle before the turbo and mist some oil onto the variable vanes. 60ml would be just enough to keep it wet.

I can tap some off my oil bypass filter line (5PSI to 60PSI).

DieselDenny 01-23-2018 12:32 AM

Your talking hi side from what I gather. Correct?

Sounds like blistered paint kinda, can you expound?

Appreciate your innovative aspect on this rig.

Denny

CampSpringsJohn 01-23-2018 07:31 AM

Is it turbo chirping? Or broke exhaust manifold bolts? My truck was making a chirping noise for probably a year. And it would come and go, some days it would do it a lot, other days none. Then one day it was horribly loud! Had 3 exhaust manifold bolts broke on one side, and 2 bolts broke on the other side.

speakerfritz 01-23-2018 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn (Post 17746201)
Is it turbo chirping? Or broke exhaust manifold bolts? My truck was making a chirping noise for probably a year. And it would come and go, some days it would do it a lot, other days none. Then one day it was horribly loud! Had 3 exhaust manifold bolts broke on one side, and 2 bolts broke on the other side.

anything is possible.

DieselDenny 02-04-2018 04:14 PM

Just back from a 400 mile round.

Heavy snow, ****ty roads and I just noticed slightly off throttle I had a bird up front.

I'll see tomorrow if it's still there but will check manifolds first.

Denny

DieselDenny 02-07-2018 01:03 PM

No loose or missing man bolts. Washed the truck top to bottom. Went away. Thinking it was a belt noise from the salt and ice spray on the trip.

Fingers crossed.

Denny

Firefighter 1406 02-08-2018 08:17 PM

Anymore word from this? I had and squeal today on heavy throttle. Was riding with the shop mechanic trying to figure out my vibration issues. It happened twice. I was getting on it pretty good. I am hoping it was a fluke as well. Do you guys have a sound clip of yours?

speakerfritz 02-08-2018 08:26 PM

Mine did it once when I punched it during regen

Firefighter 1406 02-08-2018 09:17 PM

I HOP it was a fluke. Really do about broken manifold bolts causing this as well. And they are a giant pain in the rear from what I have read. I would think that if the truck was cold and did that it make have been a manifold bolt. But the truck was warmed up when it did it for me.

CampSpringsJohn 02-09-2018 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 (Post 17786015)
I HOP it was a fluke. Really do about broken manifold bolts causing this as well. And they are a giant pain in the rear from what I have read. I would think that if the truck was cold and did that it make have been a manifold bolt. But the truck was warmed up when it did it for me.

That is how mine was. Did it for a long time until it got to the point that it didn't quiet down once warmed up. Always did it under throttle.