Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   Disc brake swap question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1524774-disc-brake-swap-question.html)

benbuilder 01-19-2018 04:34 PM

Disc brake swap question

I am changing the drum brakes on my 1966 f100 to disc brakes from a 73-79 f100 set up. I am going to use the 66 I beams.

I have read that I need to use the 66 kingpin when doing the swap.

My question is on the bushings, I see that there are two bushings, do i need to replace these also? Or will they stay in?

I am bringing the axle and drum spindles to a shop to have the kingpins removed and then the new disc spindles pressed back in.

Thanks

john jamieson 01-20-2018 08:23 AM

New king pins, you should use new bushings. If your having a shop remove the old ones, get a kit with bronze bushings and the shop will ream them to the final spec. I tried to do it myself and bought a kit with the nylon bushings. No problems so far. But I still ended up taking them to a shop because I couldn't get them apart.

john jamieson 01-20-2018 08:27 AM

And make sure your kit has a lot of shims(8-10). I needed 3 on each side and they can be a bear to find.

Crop Duster 01-20-2018 09:39 AM

Here is a link that show some of the differences. Comparing I-beams and Spindles - FORDification.com

benbuilder 01-21-2018 01:41 AM

This chart was helpful. I see the difference is in the length of the king pin
1966 6.35
75-79 6.49

I believe my spindles to be from a 75-79. I guess i should remove the pin and measure, then i will know for sure.

I was hoping to buy in advance. Would it matter which length?

I know it may be a stupid question, but i was able to drive one out and it seems to me there is plenty of pin even if i used the shorter one?

Feel free to correct me.

Crop Duster 01-21-2018 03:56 AM

Spindles

1 Attachment(s)
If you read that page you will see that their recommendations were based on the steering bump stop more than kingpin size. I don't know what sort of mixing and matching you can do and have it all work together. If it were me I would try and get the "I" beams that go with the spindles you have. Also if you get the "I" beams and radius arms from a 75-79 you will have the option of adding a sway bar if you can find the brackets that slip over the radius arm. Here is a page I downloaded back when I was looking for a stabilizer bar and brackets for my truck. It took me awhile to find the parts. Apparently not many people wanted to pay extra for that bar. Adding it made a big difference in body roll.

benbuilder 01-21-2018 07:04 AM

Thanks for all the help.

I plan on using the 66 axles and the 75 spindles. I only have the later spindles. I did not get the axles.

Unless someone tells me i am wrong? I thought i read this was ok.