Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Worth upgrading stock XLT speakers? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1524768-worth-upgrading-stock-xlt-speakers.html)

h20camper 11-30-2021 08:32 PM

You have the Gains at 0? Seems like you might not have the Kicker manual.

I have the Key 180.4 with this and no issues at all. I don’t have a sub and sub amp though.

RubenZ 11-30-2021 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by h20camper (Post 20175017)
You have the Gains at 0? Seems like you might not have the Kicker manual.

I have the Key 180.4 with this harness and no issues at all. I don’t have a sub and sub amp though.

I was told to use the DSP option you have to set gains to 0 and run the Test.. Is that no correct? maybe I should up them.

34SF 11-30-2021 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by RubenZ (Post 20174987)
I seriously think all this has to do with the resistance or something with the way I have the Speakers plugged in with no crossover. The Head Unit is not liking something there. I've also tried with Radio detect on and off. I honestly am not sure what BI-AMP does, but I think thats what I would need if I figure out if tweeters are mounted directly to Head Unit. Then I could biamp those with Mids and forget rear speakers or run those off Head Unit as fill.

You'd still need the crossovers to protect the tweets. Bi-amp allows you to take one signal in and share with two outs (per side) so you could power the mid and tweets separately. But, you'd send too much power to the tweets without an inline or passive crossover. Your plug and play isn't configured for this.

34SF 11-30-2021 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by RubenZ (Post 20175020)
I was told to use the DSP option you have to set gains to 0 and run the Test.. Is that no correct? maybe I should up them.

Nope, start with gains at zero if you're using the mic option to set the DSP. Make sure your sub is off and your headunit is flat. Are you getting any error codes from the kicker?

h20camper 11-30-2021 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by 34SF (Post 20175022)
You'd still need the crossovers to protect the tweets. Bi-amp allows you to take one signal in and share with two outs (per side) so you could power the mid and tweets separately. But, you'd send too much power to the tweets without an inline or passive crossover. Your plug and play isn't configured for this.

I’m fairly sure the factory tweeters have a crossover directly installed to them. They’d almost have to as they're paralleled directly to the OEM full range front door speakers.

RubenZ 11-30-2021 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by h20camper (Post 20175033)
I’m fairly sure the factory tweeters have a crossover directly installed to them. They’d almost have to as they're paralleled directly to the OEM full range front door speakers.

Yes, they do. its directly attached.

h20camper 11-30-2021 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by RubenZ (Post 20175020)

I’d suggest reading the manual on setting things up.

34SF 11-30-2021 08:51 PM

If you matched the gains initially at zero, you should be fine BUT...you have to do this correctly. Most of the SDs with the Sony or B&O system that I've done require significant gain at input.

We've got a lot of text above; I'd start with basic trouble shooting on the wiring first, then check the amp set up as H20 said. IF you can't get that functioning, then there's something else afoot. It's odd that worked then it didn't.

RubenZ 11-30-2021 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by h20camper (Post 20175035)
I’d suggest reading the manual on setting things up.

Originally Posted by 34SF (Post 20175046)
If you matched the gains initially at zero, you should be fine BUT...you have to do this correctly. Most of the SDs with the Sony or B&O system that I've done require significant gain at input.

We've got a lot of text above; I'd start with basic trouble shooting on the wiring first, then check the amp set up as H20 said. IF you can't get that functioning, then there's something else afoot. It's odd that worked then it didn't.

Ok, Both of you gave me ideas that helped tremendously.

I just went through manual and did a basic gains test and it work right away. Thanks, H20Camper. I'm hoping it sticks and tomorrow I'll do it better as per the manual. Upping the gains seems to have worked so far. Thank you! 34SF, thanks for your help as well. I think I now have an idea on what to do for the tweeters and that post with wiring colors seems to help. I'm going to do it right and do the crossover.

If this finally works consistently i can focus on sound deadening the doors.