Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Lawsuit - Anyone heard of this? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1523812-lawsuit-anyone-heard-of-this.html)

Joe/GA 01-12-2018 02:32 PM

Lawsuit - Anyone heard of this?

I would sure hate to be forced to have a flash that would rob power AND reduce MPG's. I hope this is not true.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...es-were-riggede to

SkiSmuggs 01-12-2018 02:48 PM

I saw it a couple of days ago and my first thought was to stay away from the dealer and find a good diesel shop. My second thought was wondering if a tow tune would over ride the dealer flash. It is disappointing that Ford MAY have stooped to this, but this is an allegation at this point.
At this time, there is no recall or order for a flash. AR6200 and Enerburn both claim to reduce NOx so it would be nice if a tail pipe sniff would get a waver if there was an order.
I had a hot rodded dual carb, extractor exhaust VW Bug that had a tail pipe sniff test and the guy said it was one of the cleanest cars he had ever tested of that age. Given that my truck's tow tune dramatically increased regen intervals, I suspect my truck runs clean compared to stock.

Joe/GA 01-12-2018 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs (Post 17721177)
Given that my truck's tow tune dramatically increased regen intervals, I suspect my truck runs clean compared to stock.

Thing is, they would probably flash regardless of exhaust readings. :-huh

sparky1166 01-12-2018 04:09 PM

If may truck won't be like the truck I bought, then Ford can buy it back.

projectnitemare 01-12-2018 07:22 PM

Won't break my heart if they need to buy mine back

Joe/GA 01-12-2018 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by sparky1166 (Post 17721337)
If may truck won't be like the truck I bought, then Ford can buy it back.

That's what I'm thinking!

73F700 01-12-2018 10:03 PM

It seems that any company that has produced a diesel engine in the last 5-10 years is currently being hit with the same lawsuits. I doubt that any real consequences will come as a result, it is more a 'treat all manufacturers as guilty until proven otherwise' approach.

I believe this particular suit even suggested that Ford should adopt the brand, 'Super Dirty' - Seems like they had trouble filling the suit with real facts so they thought they would give marketing advice as part of the suit..

While on the topic, it is true that several manufactures have been evading the emissions requirements on their vehicles where they could. These manufacturers clearly would have known the risk they were taking but felt it was worth it when taking account the difference in both mileage and reliability.

Chad149 01-13-2018 11:15 PM

^^^^^^^^^Nailed it.
Mercedes had their suit dismissed already, but are still fighting to get thier new passenger car diesels certified.....

Dakster 01-14-2018 03:22 AM

Would like to see independent testing to verify whether our trucks are in violation or not. I seem to remember a few states doing random emission tests on vehicles. If anything they should have a lot of data on it.

I hope Ford gets their suit dismissed just like MB.

swarf_rat 01-14-2018 10:54 AM

It is at best disingenuous of the law firm to say it represents "drivers". I can't imagine anyone who legitimately owns the truck would sue Ford over NOx emissions. It is very difficult and expensive to even test the NOx emissions while driving.

I think this is an example of an entreprenurial lawsuit, where a law firm looks for a big target with deep pockets, then finds a stooge for standing. There are even venture capital firms that specialize in funding such things. In most big class action lawsuits, the big winner is the law firm.

SkiSmuggs 01-14-2018 10:58 AM

The only test that should matter is the one the EPA did on the trucks. If there was no cheating then, this suit should be dismissed.

Braggs 01-14-2018 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by swarf_rat (Post 17724415)
It is at best disingenuous of the law firm to say it represents "drivers". I can't imagine anyone who legitimately owns the truck would sue Ford over NOx emissions. It is very difficult and expensive to even test the NOx emissions while driving.

I think this is an example of an entreprenurial lawsuit, where a law firm looks for a big target with deep pockets, then finds a stooge for standing. There are even venture capital firms that specialize in funding such things. In most big class action lawsuits, the big winner is the law firm.

LOL, awesome response.

camminich 01-14-2018 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by swarf_rat (Post 17724415)

I also completely agree, so far this doesn't pass the "sniff" test.

The VW issues were brought by state AGs as vehicle emissions testing stations were getting a lot of complaints directly from VW/Audi owners after testing was successful that their cars were no longer running correctly. I know in my area there was a very vocal Audi drivers groups that were threatening legal action against the State of WA for doing something to their Diesel Audi's during testing. This caused states to investigate these issues ultimately getting VW to admit that the cars were intentionally hiding higher levels of NOx. If you look on many of these forums, VW owners suspected this problem almost a year before it came to light.

I think if our SDs were having the same issue, we would see a lot of similar complaints. So far to date, I am not sure if I have seen anyone say their truck ran different after getting an emissions inspection.

As said already, this may be just another legal group looking to grab an opportunity. Be interesting to see if Cummins, Isuzu, or some of the other large US diesel manufactures see similar lawsuits.

Also interesting, this report only appears so far in just a few small places, not a lot of mass media coverage on this topic. Now that could be Ford putting a good lid on the issue, or just that our media is currently focused on other topics in the news.

Joe/GA 01-14-2018 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by camminich (Post 17724685)
I also completely agree, so far this doesn't pass the "sniff" test.

Also interesting, this report only appears so far in just a few small places, not a lot of mass media coverage on this topic. Now that could be Ford putting a good lid on the issue, or just that our media is currently focused on other topics in the news.

true. Hasn't been all over the news. Maybe it's nothing. I hope so.

radium 01-15-2018 05:29 AM

Thanks for posting this going to my dealer this morning to ask him if they flash my 17 and that would explain why the truck is a total dog and I've been complaining about the fuel mileage from day one and lack of power compared to my 16. Truck is totally stock not even lifted like my other vehicles the mechanic is scratching his head agree with me that it's a complete dog and can't get out of its own way and didn't understand why. I was just getting ready to call Ford in the next two weeks and start arbitration case to get rid of the truck when according too two separate dealers everything's okay with the truck feels like I'm driving an F-150 with a 4.6 gas LOL I'll let guys know take care