Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Intake questions. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1523582-intake-questions.html)

MattRamsdell 01-10-2018 08:34 PM

Intake questions.

Have a 2010 250 SD. Single cab with a 5.4. Pretty new to Ford's. I have been a Chrysler tech, on and off for years, and a government diesel mechanic. Mostly owned Chevy's. I like this Ford a lot but it needs some changes. Definitely feels smothered (which I have read is typical). Wondering what type of realistic gains with breathing and mileage I will get with a new intake. Also if there is any reliable info on actual numbers between makers.

StrokinHer01 01-17-2018 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by MattRamsdell (Post 17717139)
Have a 2010 250 SD. Single cab with a 5.4. Pretty new to Ford's. I have been a Chrysler tech, on and off for years, and a government diesel mechanic. Mostly owned Chevy's. I like this Ford a lot but it needs some changes. Definitely feels smothered (which I have read is typical). Wondering what type of realistic gains with breathing and mileage I will get with a new intake. Also if there is any reliable info on actual numbers between makers.

I don’t know exactly but I do know it will be a definitive noticeable change in power for sure and in mpg also...

KenRebF-250 01-17-2018 03:33 PM

What, if any, are the choices of aftermarket intake manifolds for the 5.4? I understand there is very little in the way of improvement of exhaust elimination but I've never seen anything regarding intake improvement.

super 6.8 01-17-2018 05:08 PM

Best thing you can do initially is get a 5 star tune to get rid of the dead feeling drive by wire. you will be amazed.

Mike189677 01-17-2018 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by super 6.8 (Post 17733155)
Best thing you can do initially is get a 5 star tune to get rid of the dead feeling drive by wire. you will be amazed.

^^^ This the intake and exhaust can both out flow the amount of air the engine can pump you will not notice a difference in power or mpg on a 5.4 maybe a bit more noise from the intake but that’s about it, but the drive by wire is really dumbed down from the factory. With the improvements you will see in the transmission shift stratagy and the drive by wire if that doesn’t satisfy you the next best thing you can do is gears.

MattRamsdell 01-25-2018 07:57 PM

Thanks guys, I will look into it. I am guessing the 5 Star tune is a programmer of some sort? Or is it an actual software change in the PCM? At some point I will probably consider a gear change as well. Unfortunately mine has the open rear differential. Haven't looked too far into LS options yet, but if I end up changing out the carrier then the ring and pinion may upgrade as well. Not entirely sure what would be the best fit for me. I do a lot of highway, back and forth to work.