Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   79 Crew Cab :R&D turbo kit(sink included) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1523573-79-crew-cab-r-and-d-turbo-kit-sink-included.html)

uniwagon 01-10-2018 08:16 PM

79 Crew Cab :R&D turbo kit(sink included)

Hello I have looked and found not what I was looking for so here it goes. Has anybody on here installed a complete turbo kit from R&D.I am talking Turbo,manifolds,intake,intercooler,pump,studs..... .ect.I have talked on the phone with him at length about how to get the same performance out of the 7.3 as the 460 I have now and then shut the hood and only open it to change the oil.
I am committed to the idi(cummins will not fit due to the twin transmissions I have) Swapping into a 79F350 Crew cab,so I need the turbo and all of the fixins to build it once.I am sold on the performance that I will get but has anybody else thrown the kitchen sink at one of these things???
Chris

Macrobb 01-11-2018 10:04 PM

I sure as heck don't have the money for such a kit, but I've done a few mods. I have no doubt that all of the R&D products work as expected, it's good stuff.
I've seen him make 400+HP at the wheels with an IDI, so I know he can do it.

Personally, well, you can see my sig. I'm at easily 35% more than a stock 460 V8(easily double a stock IDI), with a stock engine, factory turbo and just a RD2-110 and adjustments to use it.

uniwagon 01-12-2018 09:57 AM

Hello again.I just am looking for actual street driven feed back on the parts before I go head first.I have the utmost confidence in Justin and his parts but I am replacing a 450hp ish,550 ftlbs ish 466 that is perfect the way it is.
But I am moving to the west coast and to be able to keep the truck(tows my race car)I have to install a diesel To exempt it from emissions.
I know I am asking a lot from a 30 year old diesel unless someone out there has a 73-75 F350 with a 167 wheelbase with a title that I could "barrow" }> This is the only way forward.
Chris

cadunkle 01-12-2018 11:30 AM

I feel your pain. I have a 460 truck with similar power output that was originally a 351w. Eventually I ran out of palces to buy stickers so ended up buying an IDI truck and it has been a long road just to get marginally acceptable performance out of it for towing, still a long way to go before I would consider it the same or better than my 460 truck that just sits and rusts now.

Chevy_Eater 01-12-2018 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by uniwagon (Post 17720468)
Hello again.I just am looking for actual street driven feed back on the parts before I go head first.I have the utmost confidence in Justin and his parts but I am replacing a 450hp ish,550 ftlbs ish 466 that is perfect the way it is.
But I am moving to the west coast and to be able to keep the truck(tows my race car)I have to install a diesel To exempt it from emissions.
I know I am asking a lot from a 30 year old diesel unless someone out there has a 73-75 F350 with a 167 wheelbase with a title that I could "barrow" }> This is the only way forward.
Chris

If by the west coast you mean California then you're not going to get a '79 exempt with a diesel.

Macrobb 01-12-2018 06:45 PM

With a carburated gasser, how hard is it to just install a catalytic converter and clean up the exhaust?
Sounds like you'd probably just have to slap a catalytic converter and probably an air pump on there and see how it works. As long as your mixture is close-ish, it should work?

Chevy_Eater 01-12-2018 07:31 PM

We still don't know if he's talking about Commiefornia or not, but they more than just emission test here, they visual test to make sure everything is bone stock.
Your emissions could be zero, but if you're missing a part or do not have "California" certified cats you fail big.

uniwagon 01-12-2018 08:15 PM

Hello,Yes California,yes I have read all of the laws and talked at length with people who have done this legally and proper.I also called a CA dmv and talked with them.
You can only install a newer diesel in a smogged truck that was available in the same weight class or one lower 3/4 or 1 ton that was in from the factory truck of the same size.All diesel pick ups up to 97 are exempt. because they don't have any emissions equipment to start with.
You can retro fit a newer diesel (1988 7.3idi with proof of what it came out of ,I have the wreaking yard receipt for the engine) in to a older truck 79 F350,go to the dmv and ask for a change of registration to a diesel engine they inspect to prove that you installed a diesel then change the vin ending with a "d" and send you a new title with the updated vin with your registration.
You can't install a engine older than the vehicle or that was never offered in it IE.......no Dt466 or 6v53s

Macrobb 01-12-2018 08:20 PM

I hate to say this... but why would *anyone* want to go to commiefornia?

uniwagon 01-12-2018 08:22 PM

P.S. My F350 is originally a non converter truck factory and started life with a 300 6. and the 460 in now came out of a 69 Lincoln.So no amount of emissions trickory is going to make it pass,diesel swap is only way forward.Like I said unless one of you has a 73-75 f350 with a 167 in wheelbase and a good title.
Chris

uniwagon 01-12-2018 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Macrobb (Post 17721770)
I hate to say this... but why would *anyone* want to go to commiefornia?

Because I have lived in NE PA for my whole life and hate it and SNOW.

Macrobb 01-12-2018 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by uniwagon (Post 17721784)

Well how about Nevada, Utah, Arizona, or even Oregon or Southern Idaho? Or just about anywhere *but* california?

DrCharles 01-12-2018 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by uniwagon (Post 17721784)

Wildfires, mudslides, earthquakes, 2 hrs to drive 10 miles, and smog is SO much more fun? :-X04

uniwagon 01-12-2018 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by DrCharles (Post 17721845)
Wildfires, mudslides, earthquakes, 2 hrs to drive 10 miles, and smog is SO much more fun? :-X04

Actually I am looking at in or around San Diego, no fires or mudslides.
If you read all of the emissions laws in all of the states of the southwest ,Cal. is actually the easiest to deal with.Arizona,Nevada ect..... all test back to 1967 in the areas where most of the people live or that I would want to live.Besides I am a drag racer and a hotrodder and SC all of that is year round.
Turbo set ups any one?

mroth2008 01-13-2018 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by uniwagon (Post 17721895)
Actually I am looking at in or around San Diego, no fires or mudslides.
If you read all of the emissions laws in all of the states of the southwest ,Cal. is actually the easiest to deal with.Arizona,Nevada ect..... all test back to 1967 in the areas where most of the people live or that I would want to live.Besides I am a drag racer and a hotrodder and SC all of that is year round.
Turbo set ups any one?

I havent heard one complaint, and honestly even modified stock system like mine will eat a 460 for breakfast. 500$ s366 100$ intercooler 100$ in piping. Make a factory idi a good tow rig, Im starting to tweak my timing on my truck. The only change I would do on mine is a smaller turbine housing. Mac on here went from 091 housing to a 063 and he loves it spools faster.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...e8cfa9288d.jpg