Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   You ford techs may be stumped! IPR? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1523471-you-ford-techs-may-be-stumped-ipr.html)

WildWop 01-09-2018 10:39 PM

You ford techs may be stumped! IPR?

The problem started one late night when i was driving home with cruise set on 80 going down i5 northbound, and it felt like i hit a Prius. Woke me up really fast. I started looking in my mirror to see what i hit and then it happened again. My whole truck was jerking from this sputter and it was causing it to violently come out of OD and then it got even worse and worse. Now i cant even get it out of the driveway.

I’m going to try upload videos of what my truck is doing, if not ill have a link for you to check it out. ICP confirmed good by unplugging. Sync is good, fuel pressure is good. Changed filters, oil is good, did a HPO shake down, no leaks, and injectors all buzzed good, as well as shut each one down individually while running to see if the problem changed, no prevail. Changed cam and crank sensors. WTF could it be!!!:-arrgh the load percentage will jump from 20 to 99 really quick. 20 at idle then when it does the sputter it drops to 0 and spikes to 99

Since i pulled the tune off and returned to stock my IPR will sit at 30ish and wont exceed 40 and cause the truck to run stupid. Could the IPR be stuck? Bad? IPR will reach about 60 duty cycle on start up but then its just lazy i guess you could say.

Please help...........

packagerjr 01-10-2018 05:37 AM

I'm not a Ford tech so this advice is as good as what you paid for it.
What are the 50 pending codes shown on your SG2, assuming I saw that correctly?
i wonder if you have an accelerator pedal position sensor issue. Also would be worth checking calibration voltage (CVI) on Scangaige during these events. Sounds like it idles OK so hopefully there's no serious mechanical damage. Good luck.

bismic 01-10-2018 07:05 AM

Certainly not a Tech either, but +1 on packagrejr's question on the codes - Unfortunately the scangauge is a poor code reader and you will have to get access to a scan tool that does read codes decently.

Also, the IPR value is a commanded value so it has nothing to do with the actual IPR position. It does not really sound like an IPR issue to me, but I suppose anything is possible.

When you say fuel pressure is fine, what is the pressure - at idle and at the elevated rpms? Have you verified that the secondary fuel filter bowl fills quickly KOEO and that there are no bubbles when filling? Also check for bubbles when cranking - you can crank with the passenger side starter wire (yellow with light blue striped colored wire adjacent to the passenger side battery in the engine compartment, near the vacuum pump that has a "squeeze-and-pull" type connection) disconnected and jumpered to the battery positive terminal (key off) or you can pull the FICM relay and crank.

I have seen the engine load go up with stiction issues so I wonder about fuel supply, so I would validate as much in the fuel system as possible first, unless the codes point you in another direction.

Oh and just to confirm - it is a 2005 model year?

WildWop 01-10-2018 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by bismic (Post 17715476)
Unfortunately the scangauge is a poor code reader.

+1 on packagrejr's question on the codes.

Also, the IPR value is a commanded value so it has nothing to do with the actual IPR position. It does not really sound like an IPR issue to me, but I suppose anything is possible.

When you say fuel pressure is fine, what is the pressure - at idle and at the elevated rpms? Have you verified that the secondary fuel filter bowl fills quickly KOEO and that there are no bubbles when filling? Also check for bubbles when cranking - you can crank with the passenger side starter wire disconnected and jumpered to the battery positive terminal or you can pull the FICM relay and crank.

I have seen the engine load go up with stiction issues so I wonder about fuel supply.

The fuel pressure stays at about 63 and doesn’t drop down, I have checked for hair bubbles in the fuel bowl because I didn’t see the gauge do anything funny, but I will try that I suppose. And the code reader actually crashed and it’s only done that once, it went from numerical to alphabetical and then crashed. when it’s sputtering it’s goong from blue to black smoke, and the fuel bowl gets to pressure right about the time that the injectors finnish cycling or before.

WildWop 01-10-2018 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by bismic (Post 17715476)
+1

I have seen the engine load go up with stiction issues so I wonder about fuel supply, so I would validate as much in the fuel system as possible first, unless the codes point you in another direction.

Oh and just to confirm - it is a 2005 model year?

And I’ve also unplugged the accelerator and nothing changed, and the injectors all buzzed fine, had them shut down 1 by 1 while running to see if anything changed and it didn’t, the autel scanner did point me to cam position and crank sensors which I then replaced. It was a soft code and just said that it could be caused by the VGT screwing with the ecm. Unplugged the VGT and nothin.. and yes it is a 2005

bismic 01-10-2018 07:23 AM

Also - do you have an EGR delete? If so which one?

Inspect the vgt wiring and connector closely (for loose fit or wire chafing). My connector wore out and would not stay on reliably. Would drive rough with black smoke.

Cam and crank codes can come from stalling events. That might be what happened with you.

WildWop 01-10-2018 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by bismic (Post 17715539)
Also - do you have an EGR delete? If so which one?

Inspect the vgt wiring and connector closely (for loose fit or wire chafing). My connector wore out and would not stay on reliably. Would drive rough with black smoke.

Sinister EGR, egr is shut off. The wires are perfect on the VGT as well.

bismic 01-10-2018 07:49 AM

Could you describe the initial problem again? Was it a loud noise, or a hard jolt, or both? Did it smoke significantly when that happened? Did you (or do you when idling) smell any exhaust fumes under the hood?

WildWop 01-10-2018 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by bismic (Post 17715619)
Could you describe the initial problem again? Was it a loud noise, or a hard jolt, or both? Did it smoke significantly when that happened? Did you (or do you when idling) smell any exhaust fumes under the hood?

Started off like a hard jolt late one night while I was driving, happened about 4-5 times in about 6 miles until I got home, it was dark so it wasn’t smoking that I could see. Next day I couldn’t drive it because of how bad it was and as of right now if I try to brake stand it goes from black to blue while acting like that. And the ipr won’t go past 40%

seijirou 01-10-2018 10:22 AM

Are you getting the fuel pressure reading from the test port or from a tap on the upper bowl cap or somewhere else?

WildWop 01-10-2018 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by seijirou (Post 17715969)
Are you getting the fuel pressure reading from the test port or from a tap on the upper bowl cap or somewhere else?

The test port next to the FPR

seijirou 01-10-2018 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by WildWop (Post 17715980)
The test port next to the FPR

Okay good.

I don't like to throw parts at a problem, do you have access to a known good FICM that you can try?

Where my head is on this is it was either fuel delivery or electronic as in harness, connectors, grounds, TPS, or even ECU. Sounds like you already ruled out the TPS?

I really don't think it's HPO related.

Obligatory I'm not a :oval tech disclaimer. :p

WildWop 01-10-2018 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by seijirou (Post 17715989)
Okay good.

I don't like to throw parts at a problem, do you have access to a known good FICM that you can try?

Where my head is on this is it was either fuel delivery or electronic as in harness, connectors, grounds, TPS, or even ECU. Sounds like you already ruled out the TPS?

I really don't think it's HPO related.

Obligatory I'm not a :oval tech disclaimer. :p

I’ll wiggle some connectors around, Ficm is at 49v and logic power is 13.x and yes I’ve unplugged the tps and it still idled the same.

seijirou 01-10-2018 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by WildWop (Post 17715994)
I’ll wiggle some connectors around, Ficm is at 49v and logic power is 13.x and yes I’ve unplugged the tps and it still idled the same.

In another 6.0 I had an intermittent dead miss due to a FICM connector issue. While most of the time FICM problems are in the power section, there are other sections that can fail.

I would put together something like this so you can know for sure if this miss is because one or more injectors aren't being told to fire or something else.

Per4mance 01-10-2018 10:36 AM

Is the tach jumping around when this happens?