Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   96 ford ranger manual transmission 4 cylinder engine replacing the dmte (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1523402-96-ford-ranger-manual-transmission-4-cylinder-engine-replacing-the-dmte.html)

taxiridefun 01-09-2018 02:15 PM

96 ford ranger manual transmission 4 cylinder engine replacing the dmte

the position placement of the new part(where you attach the vacuum lines) is different than the original. how does one make the vacuum hose lines fit? they don't fit. why does ford change designs on parts that makes it so hard? any help would be appreciated. I would post photos but do not see a photo option.

ranger pat 01-09-2018 05:57 PM

You would probably get faster responses if you spelled out what dmte stands for. Lots of parts are called different names by different people and even in different parts of the country.

Conanski 01-09-2018 06:24 PM

Could that be the DPFE EGR sensor you are talking about? It is entirely possible you got the wrong part from the store too, those guys generally don't know anything except what comes up on their screen, and everything that comes up on their screens was input by somebody else that knows absolutely nothing about cars.

Kruse 01-09-2018 06:25 PM

Are you talking about the DPFE (at least, that's what I call it) sensor?
(EGR pressure feedback sensor?)

taxiridefun 01-18-2018 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kruse (Post 17714450)
Are you talking about the DPFE (at least, that's what I call it) sensor?
(EGR pressure feedback sensor?)

yes. Here's the whole situation 96 Ford Ranger manual transmission 4 cylinder engine with 197,000 miles on the engine so the check engine light comes on so I have the codes and it said it was the DPFE sensor and that there was a blockage so I watched Schrader's videos on YouTube about the whole vacuum system right and he described symptoms when you put gas in it there's a document there there's no place for the gas for the vacuum to go and so it'll shut the gas nozzle off when you're pumping gas and then all of that had been occurring in my vehicle and since I had a hundred and ninety-seven thousand miles I bought the truck used I figured well it's time to replace some of the stuff so I replaced that but the one the Ford sells the placement was different so I trace the numbers on the one that was on my truck and the Ford dealer said that came back associated with the Ford Cougar so I bought I thought the D then my check engine light came on again but I was able to finally put gas in without the gas nozzle shutting off and gas spurting out but the check engine light came on again ran the codes it still said there was a blockage and that it could be you know any one of those things that that it was possibly the EGR solenoid so to make a long story short I replace the EGR solenoid the DTM me whatever it's called and the EGR valve sensor in order to take the EGR valve off cuz the wrench couldn't get in there and I just cleaned the gasket off and reused it and lo and behold but I did clean all of that out I cleaned the pipes out I cleaned you know I got a new air filter I clean the intake out my friend looked at the intake looked at everything I cleaned he said yeah it looks great now. The check engine light came on and it says it's the EGR valves that I just replaced and now I'm right back where I started the gas nozzle shuts off and gas spurts out when I put gas in my truck I'm just right back where I started I replaced all my vacuum hoses cleaned everything behind the EGR valve cleaned all that stuff out the only thing I haven't replaced is that sensor that I had to remove to get the wrench in there to get the EGR valve off the back pipe so what the heck is it I got a new gasket for that sensor that I had to remove to get the wrench in there to remove the EGR valve from the back pipe but I haven't put it on yet so what else could it be I'm right back where I started and it says it's the EGR valve and I just replaced the flipping thing and I clean the pipe behind it and I clean the two pipes that the DTM e whatever it's called connect to and put new the special valve hoses on that I've replaced everything except that one sensor and the charcoal canister! any ideas. I mean I've got to get my emissions done by the end of the month and I'm no closer to solving the problem no closer any ideas

oh yeah I forgot to mention. gas cap? yep brand new. been there, done that !lol!

the idle air control valve is what I had to remove to get wrench in to remove erg valve.
I have new gasket have not put it on, have not replaced this valve.

KF4EYR 01-18-2018 10:36 AM

have you tried unhooking the battery and rehooking it after about a 20 minute wait? sometimes the system just needs a serious rebooting,,,,

taxiridefun 01-18-2018 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by KF4EYR (Post 17734819)
have you tried unhooking the battery and rehooking it after about a 20 minute wait? sometimes the system just needs a serious rebooting,,,,

well the battery was disconnected for several hours each time I worked. on these. the computer has to reset now but the check engine light comes back on.