Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Removing turbo- wits end (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1523086-removing-turbo-wits-end.html)

B-Rad88 01-07-2018 03:21 PM

Removing turbo- wits end

1 Attachment(s)
So I previously posted about the issues I was having. Long story short, I'm pull the turbo, putting a 1.0 housing in, bypassing the EBPV, getting those 2 pieces ceramic coated, and putting a different stock turbo on that's in good shape with a new turbo wheel on it.

I'm basically about at the point where you start seriously considering just selling the truck.
I have the turbo and housing off, but can't get the back 2 pedestal bolts. The passenger rear pedestal bolt is stripped, but I don't know if one of those extractor sockets will fit on it between it and the up pipe collector. I haven't tried very hard yet on the back driver side pedest bolt, but I kind of feel I need Jesus to help me get it off.

I had to remove the turbo and housing separate because of the stripled bolt.I wanted as much access as I could have to tackle it. I have thrown everything I got at it all day and still nowhere. Tried torching it but that didnt work, but now I absolutely have to get it out because I'm sure i roasted that o ring.

Anybody in the Phoenix metro area that has more experience with this want to give me a hand? I'm waiting on parts for everything from riff raff so it will be until next weekend at the earliest before I can put it all back together. But I'm getting desperate. I did read somebody said to just cut the bolt heads off with a dremel. I'm not opposed to that as long as it works and I can get the studs out. I don't know if a dremel will fit back in by that bolt on the driver side, but I have another pedestal turbo and housing so I'm not concerned if I mess the pedestal up a little bit. One of the things I ordered was all new hardware as well.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...ba79e24e9d.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...d9ca85e1ce.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...c1708beb00.jpg

Red97350 01-07-2018 03:44 PM

Can you take the up-pipes with the collector off? You're looking at more work that way, but you should have more access to the heads of the bolts. I'd be willing to give you a hand, but I'm a bit far for that.

Red

B-Rad88 01-07-2018 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Red97350 (Post 17708750)
Can you take the up-pipes with the collector off? You're looking at more work that way, but you should have more access to the heads of the bolts. I'd be willing to give you a hand, but I'm a bit far for that.

Red

The first bolt I tried to loosen on the up pipe collector just spun the wrench so at least one of those is stripped too.I don't want to keep messing with it in case it really comes down to that.it would be a challenge to take the 4 bolts off for the collector too though. But that's basically how this ordeal has been going. I keep removing something to make it easier, to then find out I have to remove something else to make it easier, and over and over again. I soaked all 4 of them in a penetrate my dad sells which worked on the top 2 bolts and bottom 2 nuts on the up pipe flange to the turbo housing, so maybe tomorrow will be another story.

I'm just wondering what people have been doing throughout the years to get to them. I guarantee I'm not the only person who has been frustrated by it so I feel somebody has come up with a solution. That's how I figured out to remove the fuel pump giving me the room I needed to loosen the bolts underneath the turbo from the pedestal, so I could just pull that and leave the pedestal in.

z31freakify 01-07-2018 04:10 PM

Your solution is the Freakify Mod if you plan on keeping a stock turbo.

B-Rad88 01-07-2018 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by z31freakify (Post 17708808)
Your solution is the Freakify Mod if you plan on keeping a stock turbo.

So I googled that and your thread of it came up. I'm a little confused. Is this swapping the pedestal out for a SD one? I do not have a SD pedestal, just an E99 spyder. What is the center cartridge?
After doing this mod, does it somehow make it so that you can access each bolt more easily than before? My main problem is trying to get this crap out now. But if it isnt too expensive or time consuming and I can get my hands on the parts in a week or 2 tops, I may consider doing it.

Red97350 01-07-2018 04:37 PM

The Freakify mod is using a SD pedestal and center cartridge so you can remove the turbo from the pedestal by removing two bolts from the top of the turbo (rather than the 4 bolts from the bottom). This is what I'm doing on my crew cab.

Red

B-Rad88 01-07-2018 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Red97350 (Post 17708872)
The Freakify mod is using a SD pedestal and center cartridge so you can remove the turbo from the pedestal by removing two bolts from the top of the turbo (rather than the 4 bolts from the bottom). This is what I'm doing on my crew cab.

Red

I'm assuming this doesn't help with the back 2 pedestal bolts having to come out again in the future. I'm wore worried about those. All of the hardware has sucked on this thing but I'm reinstalling everything with anti seize. Removing the 4 bolts from the bottom of the turbo pedestal wasn't that bad honestly with the fuel pump out. 3 of the 4 bolts are super easy to get.the 4th one is pretty close to the engine so you have to crack it loose with the box end of a wrench and a breaker bar, and then flip it around to the open end to keep turning it loose. Eventually, the head will hit the engine and you will have to lift up on the turbo and loosen it again until you get the threads all the way backed out. I shoved a pair of pliers under the turbo while I loosened it the rest of the way and then pulled the turbo right out. If I had known that was the route I was going to end up going, I could have had the turbo out in about an hour.

What I really need help with is figuring out how to get on that back pedestal bolt to take it out. I'm kind of thinking the up pipe collector has to come off but I have at least one stripped bolt on that. It's the easiest to access so hopefully the others weren't messed with and a bolt extractor socket will,work on them, if I can get on it.

z31freakify 01-07-2018 04:47 PM

A torch is your friend at this point.

Red97350 01-07-2018 04:49 PM

I suppose you could just cut the up-pipes, but then you are going to need new up-pipes. Depending on how many miles are on your truck, you may have some leakage at the donut gaskets anyways.

Red

B-Rad88 01-07-2018 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by z31freakify (Post 17708909)
A torch is your friend at this point.

I tried a torch earlier on the stripped bolt but I think it's too stripped for anything to work. So hopefully soaking it with penetrate and then using my torch when it's dry, with an extractor socket will get that bolt out. Then I just have to come up with something for that last one.

Red97350 01-07-2018 04:51 PM

You could just cut the pedestal worst case scenario, and you have another pedestal you can use.

Red

B-Rad88 01-07-2018 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Red97350 (Post 17708912)
I suppose you could just cut the up-pipes, but then you are going to need new up-pipes. Depending on how many miles are on your truck, you may have some leakage at the donut gaskets anyways.

Red

I don't have any leakage that I know of from the up pipes. My clamp around the down pipe was pretty loose and with the turbo seals blown it was leaking oil out of that a bit.

z31freakify 01-07-2018 04:54 PM

I ment an actual torch to cut all of it. If you decide on the freakify mod make sure you save the turbo the pedestal can go on the scrap bin.

B-Rad88 01-07-2018 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Red97350 (Post 17708918)
You could just cut the pedestal worst case scenario, and you have another pedestal you can use.

Red

I'm kind of thinking using my dremel,to cut the bolt heads off and hopefully I can get the studs out later without having to find somebody with a welder to weld nuts on them for me to get them out,

B-Rad88 01-07-2018 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by z31freakify (Post 17708926)
I ment an actual torch to cut all of it. If you decide on the freakify mod make sure you save the turbo the pedestal can go on the scrap bin.

Probably a good thing I don't have one because I would have probably already have considered cutting through all of it since I have a replacement piece for everything I'm removing already,