Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flatbed, Car, Boat, Utility, Horse & Misc. Trailer Towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum289/)
-   -   Tire Load Range (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1522654-tire-load-range.html)

scottmorgan1309 01-04-2018 01:39 PM

Tire Load Range

i have a 1985 f250 2x4 truck reg cab 351W 4spd long bed

this truck is my everyday driver.

i do not haul very much or often.

the max trailer ill tow is a 21' car trailer. with the 1993 dodge ram 2500 on it.

my question is simple can i run passenger tires on the front (like suv tires)and 10ply on the rear safely. my trailers are always rear hitch styled so that puts all the load on the rear. the truck doesn't weigh much when its empty.

reasoning is for better ride. other option is to have two sets of tires. run suv tires 95% of the time and 10ply load e for hauling when i do. is this a safe option?

incase it patters i have i beam coil front 2wd suspension in the front and light rear axle.

senix 01-04-2018 07:55 PM

no, you need to run 10 ply tires. Just air them down a bit if not doing a bunch of towing. Run them about 65 psi.

Running two different ratings would result in a Squamish ride I think.

Colorado350 01-04-2018 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by senix (Post 17702479)
no, you need to run 10 ply tires. Just air them down a bit if not doing a bunch of towing. Run them about 65 psi.

Running two different ratings would result in a Squamish ride I think.

X2 Agree with this.

JayTheCPA 01-05-2018 06:22 AM

Have semi-related experience with this.

When I bought my 3/4 ton SUV it had Class C A/T's all around. Weight wise (the SUV weighed in at 7,200 pounds empty), the tires were rated for the load, but they made the truck handle like it was on four marshmallows. Immediately put Load E tires on and it no longer flopped down the road.

scottmorgan1309 01-05-2018 07:39 AM

good point.. i didn't think about the roll from the tires..
i bet that would be horrible on the corners.

i currently have 215/85r16 (30.4D x 8.5W)
if i go to a wider 265/75r16 (31.6D x 10.4W) +1" D // +2"W
will it change ride? i want to switch for the added surface area anyways.

Colorado350 01-05-2018 09:25 AM

In snowy conditions the tires will float on the snow. You'll also see a little more wear on suspension parts but nothing severe like 37's.

JayTheCPA 01-09-2018 07:40 AM

My truck is running OE tires (highway design 265 width) and does just fine in all conditions. Plowed through 20" of snow and handles dump runs easy enough. With a full cab, my rig is probably a bit heavier than yours, so that might make a small difference when it comes to driving on irregular surfaces.

pikapp 01-09-2018 03:56 PM

Speaking of Load Ranges, my OEM tires - GY Wrangler Fortitude 275/65R18, max load of 2756 @ 51 psi are load range SL. The truck is a tow vehicle, towing an enclosed car hauler with a TW of 1K. Would going to a LT tire, load range C or D be better in eliminating some of the softness and slight body roll felt when towing? Some of the tire vendors I've spoken to say by all means I need to go to a LT tire due to the tow weight and TW, that the OEM tires really weren't meant for that heavy towing. For those who have switched, was the change beneficial?

Colorado350 01-09-2018 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by pikapp (Post 17714122)
Speaking of Load Ranges, my OEM tires - GY Wrangler Fortitude 275/65R18, max load of 2756 @ 51 psi are load range SL. The truck is a tow vehicle, towing an enclosed car hauler with a TW of 1K. Would going to a LT tire, load range C or D be better in eliminating some of the softness and slight body roll felt when towing? Some of the tire vendors I've spoken to say by all means I need to go to a LT tire due to the tow weight and TW, that the OEM tires really weren't meant for that heavy towing. For those who have switched, was the change beneficial?

This chart will explain everything you need to know. Short answer absolutely make the switch. I run load E and would not run anything less. When you're towing your main objective should be a stable set up THEN a comfortable ride. When not towing you can "air down" a bit for a softer ride. https://www.discounttiredirect.com/l...nge-load-index

pikapp 01-10-2018 02:33 PM

Good info thanks. Looks like I'll be switching over to E range tires. Understand one of the best is the Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

Colorado350 01-11-2018 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by pikapp (Post 17716433)
Good info thanks. Looks like I'll be switching over to E range tires. Understand one of the best is the Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

I asked a LOT of shops about this tire and every one of them said pretty much the same thing. It used to be a good tire but there's better ones out there...and they sold the tire too. They recommended it for lighter SUV's but not for a big pickup, I was kind of surprised because a lot of people recommend it. But tires is all these shops do so they know what they're talking about... I ended up going with Cooper's A/TW. This is Cooper's year round snow tire and living in Colorado where you can get snow in July, I figured I'd give them a try. I've been extremely impressed with the traction, wear and manors while towing. Last Spring we were towing through the Rockies on I70 and hit a major snow storm. My truck is DRW and 2wd, I really thought I would have to put chains on to climb some of the passes, keep in mind everyone else was in 4wd. But I kept moving, no fishtailing, no real slipping just moving along. My buddy put them on his 6.0 4x4 Dually after that, and he tows HEAVY, he swears by them now. If you're in an area that gets a lot of snow or one that gets ice, seriously consider this tire. Cooper Discoverer A/TW Tire Test

pikapp 01-11-2018 01:46 PM

The Cooper tire was #2 recommendation after the Michelin, but tire vendor (rep I've known and done business with over 20 years) said the Cooper won't last as long and since my driving/towing will be 100% highway/paved roads and predominately summer weather, he felt the Cooper wouldn't be as a good fit as the Michelin.

Colorado350 01-11-2018 05:28 PM

You gotta use what works for you.n

senix 01-11-2018 05:46 PM

I ran cooper discovery STT's on my last truck. a very good tire for off road and well mannered for towing.

I have cooper AT3 now on my DRW.