Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Calling all 6.2L Superduty owners...I need advice (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1521055-calling-all-6-2l-superduty-owners-i-need-advice.html)

DieselBeast01 12-22-2017 03:39 PM

Calling all 6.2L Superduty owners...I need advice

I have been dormant on this forum for quite some time. Used to post here quite a bit in the diesel section then in the f150 section. I moved away from Ford trucks and jumped around between RAMs and Chevys for a few years. I am now looking into buying another superduty after realizing that other trucks do not compare. I do not want the diesel. I had an old 2001 7.3, and as far as I'm concerned, Ford will never be able to match that reliablity in the new diesel engines. I also know all the pros and cons to the diesel, so I don't want to see a bunch of posts telling me to get the diesel.

I am thinking of going with a 2011 or newer superduty 4x4 with the 6.2l engine. Preferably an Extended cab short box. Since the only superduty I have ever had was diesel, I don't know how the gas motors perform in these trucks. Can any one give me some insight on this new 6.2l. The truck will be a weekend warrior only since my daily commute is 30 miles one way (4 banger yota will make that drive every day). I need this new truck to pull my 24ft pontoon on a regular basis (almost every Saturday and Sunday for 6 months of the year), and be reliable. This thing might get 15k miles put on it every 3 years. I don't care about the gas mileage, since this truck will usually have a load on it anyways.

Any insight into theses new superduty's in general, and the 6.2L motor would be appreciated.

P.S. I know I could have searched, but this forums search feature still sucks just like it used to when I stayed on here all the time.

dtherrien 12-22-2017 04:13 PM

You wont be disappointed with the 6.2. I would suggest 2012 or newer if you are planning on getting one. 2011 is the first year of the 6.2. 2012 thru 2016 have proven to be very reliable both engine and transmission...actually the transmission is overkill. I installed a 5star tuner in mine to compensate for how the transmission shifts from the factory. If you can find 4:30 gear ratio that would be a nice find.

seville009 12-22-2017 04:25 PM

Have a 2011 6.2l; about 95,000 miles. No issues. Don’t tow alot, but I do tow a 7,700 lb skidsteer once and awhile on a dual axel trailer - pulls it easily.

Chuck's First Ford 12-22-2017 04:45 PM

I have a 2012,,, SCLB.... 6.2L 3.73.....

I carry in the bed of truck 1,500 pounds AND tow 9,000 pound PLUS travel trailer..
truck has 156,000 miles...

I tow 4 days @ 450 per day.... 1,800 miles twice a year.. no problems..
and it is My daily driver.

birdiecat 12-22-2017 04:57 PM

2016 f 250 60000 miles in one and a half years with a 3600 lb slide in camper in the back. We went from 200 ft below sea level in death valley to 13000 ft above in the rockies. The only problem was to replace 2 burnt tail light bulbs.

Pocketlint 12-22-2017 05:05 PM

I have two 2011 6.2 SD's one has 257k on it and the other has 347k on the odometer. Regular maintenance on the trucks, make sure you keep up on wear items regular oil and fluid changes I always used full synthetic oil,

My trucks aren't babied they work, but I also make sure I maintain them, but they have been dead on workhorses and have yet to leave me by the side of the road.

You will like the 6.2 not many major issues with them for their owners. And yes they will tow and are good for short commuting :-X22

T diesel 12-22-2017 05:46 PM

2013 has bigger brakes.
FLAWLESS drive train!

DieselBeast01 12-22-2017 05:58 PM

I'm definitely looking for a 2011 and up. I didn't like the way some of the previous years looked, but the 2011-2016 are some good looking trucks. Pocketlint, if you have one with 347k, then I don't think I will have anything to worry about. Mine will more than likely never see that number on the odometer. I think the 6.2 superduty is definitely what I will end up with. Now, I just have to find one. They are kind of an oddball around my area. Everyone either has diesels, or f150. Gas 250 are harder to find. This truck could possibly see 2-3 weeks of sitting time during the winter with no one driving it.

Are there any issues with letting them sit for a little while. I know my last truck, 2500 GMC 6.0l gas. Did not like to sit at all. If it sat for a week, it would take it another 3 days just to recover from sitting when I started driving it again. What are the main differences between the Fx4 and the regular 4x4s. I know in the old superduty's, 01-07, the Fx4 meant you just paid premium pricing for better shocks. Are there significant differences between the packages now.

I'm also assuming that almost all of the trucks XLT and up have microsoft sync, which is a must for me. I'm kind of a technology nerd. Hell even my 96 tacoma has a bluetooth stereo.

Feels kinda good to be posting on here again. If I pick up one of these trucks, I'll definitely have to start frequenting these forums again.

eberlestock 12-22-2017 06:44 PM

The 6.2 has proven very reliable. I just finished a 5 year stint in a 2012 company ride I got new. It had the 4.30 cogs and I modded it with a small lift, intake, exhaust and tuner. Its been a great truck and I put 300,000km on it.. It just got replaced with a new 17 6.2. One thing I recommend is a center console over the fold down bench seat

Pocketlint 12-22-2017 06:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by DieselBeast01 (Post 17675392)
I'm definitely looking for a 2011 and up. I didn't like the way some of the previous years looked, but the 2011-2016 are some good looking trucks. Pocketlint, if you have one with 347k, then I don't think I will have anything to worry about. Mine will more than likely never see that number on the odometer. I think the 6.2 superduty is definitely what I will end up with. Now, I just have to find one. They are kind of an oddball around my area. Everyone either has diesels, or f150. Gas 250 are harder to find. This truck could possibly see 2-3 weeks of sitting time during the winter with no one driving it.

Are there any issues with letting them sit for a little while. I know my last truck, 2500 GMC 6.0l gas. Did not like to sit at all. If it sat for a week, it would take it another 3 days just to recover from sitting when I started driving it again. What are the main differences between the Fx4 and the regular 4x4s. I know in the old superduty's, 01-07, the Fx4 meant you just paid premium pricing for better shocks. Are there significant differences between the packages now.

I'm also assuming that almost all of the trucks XLT and up have microsoft sync, which is a must for me. I'm kind of a technology nerd. Hell even my 96 tacoma has a bluetooth stereo.

Feels kinda good to be posting on here again. If I pick up one of these trucks, I'll definitely have to start frequenting these forums again.

Like I said use good synthetic oil, I always use OEM filters, regular oil, change out the coolant when its been a while to fresh coolant, change out the plugs and cops and wires, I have done mine three times now, cheap to do and never ever had a misfire or any instance of truck running rough, keep up on the wear items and you ought to be fine.

I have never seen a truck die from maintenance but seen plenty die because they haven't been maintained. All the things I do are what I call my regular maintenance and there is stuff I do called preventative maintenance like coolant plugs, checking the hubs and greasing, fan belts servicing the 4x4 system etc. My Dad always told me it's way cheaper to do stuff before it becomes a problem than it is to do after it becomes a problem, you look after it and it will look after you.

No there is no issue with them sitting, I havent drove my one with 267k on the clock for about 6 weeks now. I use my other truck the most because it has the 8 ft bed and my 267 k truck has the 6.5 ft bed, so when I tow the with 347k truck I just have more room in the truck for additional items like a generator etc in the box. We are getting colder here in the great white north so the only thing I have done to my 267k truck was to go out and start it up and let it run for 10 minutes so the battery stays good. It wasnt too bad weather wise here so not so cold but this week we are seeing like -16 c for a low and then later in the week -20 c for a high with -24 for a low but with win chill it will feel like -28c so I will be putting the trucks on the timers with the block heaters timed to come on especially if I will be heading out , makes it a little easier on me and the engine when it starts up

Slowpoke Slim 12-22-2017 08:51 PM

Mine is a '12 XLT, and it does not have sync. I am NOT a tech nerd however, so I look upon that as a bonus, not a minus.

You don't say how much your pontoon boat weighs. I pull a 12K 5er (ok, 11,800), and sometimes a flatbed with a tractor on it (all in, it's 9K). Bought mine brand new, and have had zero trouble with it.

Sometimes mine sits for a week straight at work, as I travel out of town almost all the time for work.

grpark20 12-22-2017 09:19 PM

Still no issues here out of my 6.2L. I drug 10,000ish across the US from NJ to CA in a zig zag pattern and ended up towing through the Rockies and Ike's Gauntlet. The truck preforms very well. On occasion I wish I had more power but not at the cost it will take. I would definitely recommend the 4.30 gears. I have 3.73 and honestly don't need 4.30 except for more of a torque feel. I'll end up doing a programmer, then 4.30 gears. If that's not enough and I'm still in love with it I'll do a supercharger. I love the truck though.

Chuck's First Ford 12-23-2017 06:14 AM

I am not a Tech guy.. got my first smart phone (cheap one) last year...

I wanted a work truck.. for Camping.. no tech.. no carpet... everything inside is washable. a nice equipped "XL" is good for me.

if anything stops working .. I can fix it..

for Miles record on the 6.2L.... Flatbed Ed.. on this forum.. 2011, 418,000 miles... camshaft failure..

ExDakotaOwner 12-23-2017 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by seville009 (Post 17675244)
Have a 2011 6.2l; about 95,000 miles. No issues. Don’t tow alot, but I do tow a 7,700 lb skidsteer once and awhile on a dual axel trailer - pulls it easily.

Mine is like this guy. I havent towed with it. But driving it you can feel the power. Im just under 92000.

Still planning my use for the huge truck. Until then, I dont regret my decision to make purchase.

82_F100_300Six 12-23-2017 10:10 AM

Here's mine doing what it and I love best...and it's also a 24 ft parachute er pontoon
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...be150673fd.jpg