Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Need help with what to do about mechanic! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1516975-need-help-with-what-to-do-about-mechanic.html)

LilRonnie 11-22-2017 04:59 PM

Need help with what to do about mechanic!

Put my ‘12 6.7 in the shop over a month ago. Found out blown head gasket and then needed a new head. Also had him tune and delete it. After over a month finally gets my truck back “together”! Now he tells me that he can’t get it to build up enough fuel rail pressure. Not having my truck has been a burden on my family. And now I’m at the point I need my truck back! He told in the beginning that it would be a week or so long job. He was supposed to be a reputable mechanic! But is hard to get ahold of or get any answers from! So my question is where do I go from here? I’ve paid him $2500 that he is out on parts and the original quote was for $2300 in labor, which has not been paid yet! The truck was running when I took it to him with no issues with fuel! What do you guys think I should do?

69cj 11-22-2017 06:01 PM

Hate to say it, time to see a lawyer.

senix 11-23-2017 09:58 AM

Get the truck to a proper mechanic. I'd take it to ford at this rate, and take the tuner back off till you get the mechanicals working properly first.

Pocketlint 11-23-2017 10:29 PM

You say this fella was a reputable mechanic but did you ask him if he knows about the 6.7 engines and has worked on a lot of them? Reason I ask is the fact that the truck isn't building fuel pressure, If this guy knows the 5.7 he should be able to figure out why it can't build up fuel pressure.

Obviously your going to need to ask this guy if he can get the truck working or not, and I would not phone him I would show up there and ask him straight out and ask him how he plans on making this right for you, If the truck was running when they got it there should be no reason it shouldnt be running when they finished the job. You need to tell him that the truck has been there way longer than it needs to be, and if they can't fix it then they need to get it to a dealer that can. As for the amount of labor you may be stuck paying the full load on it and then paying to Ford to look the truck over. I would tell these guys if they can't figure it out they need to send it to the dealer to have it looked at on their dime and if they refuse then I would try and cut a deal on the rest of what you owe them and mention that your going to have to pay the dealer to get it straightened out and see if you can both find a number you can live with, but dont get your hopes up that they will help.

I would assume that these guys are not going to stand behind there work, other wise I am sure they would have sent it to a dealer to find out what is wrong. I dont know what this shop uses for scan tools but even with a snap on scan tool they ought to be able to see what is going on, even more so if they have IDS.

I would prepare myself for the fact that these guys arent going to do anything further with the truck and I doubt they are going to pay a nickel to make it right or work with you on the cost to get it back running, so looks like you may be on your own.

You dont mention where you are located, but if you can tell us maybe someone will know and can recommend a good diesel shop that knows the 6.7 and can give you the shops info so you can call them up and tell them the situation about your truck and see what they will charge you to look it over, otherwise your next best option is the dealer and that wont be cheap but IDS is a powerful tool and they should be able to tell you what the scoop is and what it will take to get it back on the road.

Jenksie13 12-06-2017 08:19 PM

Sorry to hear all this trouble. You should definitely bite the bullet and get it to a dealer. If you can't get him to fix it, refund some money, work on lowering the price then put it on a credit card and dispute it later. Document everything and record every conversation you have with him especially the one's in person and where he calls you. CC companies are more than likely going to side with you with evidence they didn't complete what you paid for. If you do work it out with them make sure there's some sort of warranty on the head gasket.

LilRonnie 12-07-2017 04:30 AM

Ok so I got my truck back last Friday! This guy tried to give my truck back leaking diesel from the lift pump, told me “ it’ll be ok if your not parking on a concrete or asphalt driveway”. I told him that I would not except the truck in that condition. He told me that my lift pump was making a little noise and was possibly causing the low fuel pressure issue. So he put an old one on that he had that was broke but “fixed” with epoxy! So I purchased a new one to his suggestion and had him install it while I waited! Left shop with my truck and got about 5 miles down the road and truck started cutting out so I called and told him and he said “it’s due to air still in the system and to drive it and it’ll clear up”! Well I made it home and now it’s back in the shop again. This time it’s at a dealers diesel techs personal shop. Found out the tuner had to be reprogrammed. Turbo has leaked so much oil that the whole bottom of my truck is covered in oil and I’ve only put about 60 miles on the truck since I picked it up! Starter has went out, possibly due to him cranking on it for two weeks trying to get it to start! I’m just worried what else am I gonna find that he screwed up!

senix 12-07-2017 05:36 AM

moral of the story,take it to a qualified diesel mechnanic. Take to a modern tech that has the proper diagnostic tools and can follow the pin point testing per the manual.

Jenksie13 12-07-2017 08:42 PM

I'd be scared the head wasn't done properly. It has very specific torque specs. You should definitely try to get a refund by disputing it. Now you have proof he didn't do a good job and had to take it to another shop. Any CC company will side with you and you may want to have this second shop redo everything he's done.

LilRonnie 12-08-2017 05:16 AM

New shop called yesterday and asked me if I had an issue with my starter and I said it clicked a few times when I picked it up and the old mechanic told me it had a corroded terminal on the starter. Well I think after 2 weeks of trying to get the “air” out he burned up my starter. So now I have to by a new starter before we can find out what else he has screwed up! So I told the new shop to list everything that the other shop could have screwed up on a separate invoice and that I’m gonna take him to court.

LilRonnie 12-08-2017 05:18 AM

By the way the shop that has screwed me is Arkansas Diesel Performance in Conway Arkansas, hate to blast him but I don’t want this to happen to anyone else!

EDC8008 12-09-2017 02:10 AM

Guy probably was used to workin on tractors not newer truck engines.

I always liked Randal Ford in Fort Smith. Where I go when visiting family still there.