Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum287/)
-   -   GPS Setup for low bridges and tight turns (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1515974-gps-setup-for-low-bridges-and-tight-turns.html)

Brock Samson 11-14-2017 11:32 PM

GPS Setup for low bridges and tight turns

Basically like a trucker GPS..

Any suggestions for a reliable GPS that won't get me stuck like this guy?
hearing the dude explain a winch to his wife @3:15 lol

There are tons of roads like this in Northern California.

Besides good GPS standalones like Garmin and such.. Best standalone?

Tablet and Software (app or additional software) Android, Windows, Apple??

I would like a 10inch windows tablet with some kind of software so that I can remove it when not being used. That way I can run my Spotify music, google assistant, maps, google maps, other crap. samsung has a good split screen for there android tablets.

I'm very tech savvy and can do this, but I'm wondering if somebody has any recommendations, or examples??

rwtdct 11-15-2017 08:56 AM

I have been towing for a lot of years and have been in a lot of tight places. This turn could have been easily made, yes you would have been partly in on coming traffic, just make sure it was safe to do so. My opinion this was a rooky move and being a rooky he should have paid attention to road signs stating not RECCOMENDED or NO over sized trailers (where was the common sense).

Sharp turns - make wide turns

djousma 11-15-2017 09:48 AM

I bought at Garmin Dezlcam GPS. Has truck mode, and standard car mode. I tend to use it when travelling in areas I have not before. You input your rig height/length and then go about your business.

If you tend to stay on interstates, you should be ok. If you dont see any OTR truckers around you, thats the time to be worried...

Brock Samson 11-15-2017 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by rwtdct (Post 17592982)
I have been towing for a lot of years and have been in a lot of tight places. This turn could have been easily made, yes you would have been partly in on coming traffic, just make sure it was safe to do so. My opinion this was a rooky move and being a rooky he should have paid attention to road signs stating not RECCOMENDED or NO over sized trailers (where was the common sense).

Oh I totally agree the turn isn't the problem here (yeah sure driver ofcourse) but we don't know if raking the top off the 5th wheel prior to the turn caused him to lose it, also the turn comes up quick after the tunnel. I agree, and have also been towing in convoys for a while.

Either way I agree, but once you're in there you're in, definitely need to pay attention to road signs. Some roads are unmarked and unknown. I think a Garmin is a nice tough if you want worry free.

MODSSO 11-15-2017 01:27 PM

Just poor driving. We travel some very narrow twisting back country roads to get to our off-roading adventures. Quite a few times we have to stop oncoming traffic and use both lanes to make a turn. On these type of roads alot of the time we are going very slow and paying close attention. Toting a 21k lbs 45' TY is not for everyone and if anyone behind me does not like...tough ####. Patience and prior planning are 90% of the game.

Brock Samson 11-15-2017 01:34 PM

Lol guess I should take off the video, I was just looking for good GPS recommendations haha.

Chuck's First Ford 11-15-2017 02:07 PM

I like my Garmin dezl 770 "Trucker".. over 10,000 tow miles so far...

SkiSmuggs 11-16-2017 07:26 AM

Maybe he was looking at his GPS instead of the signs. LOL.
On the serious side, we go lost in the mountains of VA a couple years ago and, by the time my wife said there was a sign that said RVs not recommended, we were beyond an easy back out. The road was narrow, steep and curvy. 40 harrowing minutes later, we were through it with only the loss of a front marker light cover on the upper right and a gutter extension on the back right. Next time, I will back up.

Desert Don 11-16-2017 08:01 AM

As an old trucker, most of it BEFORE the advent of the GPS, I learned real fast to look before I leap. So I always develop a plan before I go someplace new when towing my 5er.
Also, I also learned after the advent of the GPS, I have never seen so many lost truck drivers!!!!!
Get on the google machine and look for low underpasses, tight curves, etc when planning your trip!!

Ans as a side note, I regognize the highway in the video.....Iron Mountain Highway in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Fun ride on a motorcycle, but if the gentleman had done a little research BEFORE going there, he would have known that he should not have been there!
Just last spring, I had some company visiting here in AZ. I was showing them around the country a bit and decided to take them to Oatman, and old mining town (tourist trap). The highway going there is OLD route 66, and there is a sign at each end that clearly states “NO VEHICLES OVER 40 FT LONG”. Well, guess what........in the tight stuff, there sits a semi pulling a 53’ trailer! His truckers GPS had led him right there!!!! Ok, enough of my rambling!! LOL! Good luck.

HRTKD 11-16-2017 09:30 AM

Here is one option, but I don't know if it can be used offline:

RV travel ? trip planning tools and information from Good Sam Club

Brock Samson 11-16-2017 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 99150 (Post 17595412)
As an old trucker, most of it BEFORE the advent of the GPS, I learned real fast to look before I leap. So I always develop a plan before I go someplace new when towing my 5er.
Also, I also learned after the advent of the GPS, I have never seen so many lost truck drivers!!!!!
Get on the google machine and look for low underpasses, tight curves, etc when planning your trip!!

Ans as a side note, I regognize the highway in the video.....Iron Mountain Highway in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Fun ride on a motorcycle, but if the gentleman had done a little research BEFORE going there, he would have known that he should not have been there!

Definitely plan ahead, and GPS just in case. Makes sense

rwtdct 11-16-2017 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by 99150 (Post 17595412)

Just last spring, I had some company visiting here in AZ. I was showing them around the country a bit and decided to take them to Oatman, and old mining town (tourist trap). The highway going there is OLD route 66, and there is a sign at each end that clearly states “NO VEHICLES OVER 40 FT LONG”. Well, guess what........in the tight stuff, there sits a semi pulling a 53’ trailer! His truckers GPS had led him right there!!!! Ok, enough of my rambling!! LOL! Good luck.

I have been through Oatman several times on my HD bike and car. Its cool seeing live donkeys in souvenir stores and watching the little wild west show.

69cj 11-16-2017 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by rwtdct (Post 17592982)

Even if he could have, he already shaved his AC and antenna off in the tunnel. Darwin strikes again.

rwtdct 11-16-2017 12:44 PM

Yep...........

Lets all knock on wood!

SecondChance 11-16-2017 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Brock Samson (Post 17592496)
hearing the dude explain a wench to his wife @3:15 lol

Technically, the man's wife could be referred to as a "wench." A "winch" is what is used to pull vehicles out of bad situations.

As a few others have said, this particular situation could have been easily avoided. We have pulled over 25,000 miles using a Garmin RV760 with the parameters of our rig set up in the RV profile. It has not yet led us into a situation it should not have - but I still check a map before leaving for a new destination and read ALL road signs regarding clearance, length and load limits. The Mountain Directory (East and West versions available in PDF format) is also very helpful for grades, etc.

Rob