Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   2011 6.7 ENGINE FAILURE UNDER 116,000 ORIGINAL OWNER (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1515943-2011-6-7-engine-failure-under-116-000-original-owner.html)

S & K Racing 11-14-2017 06:52 PM

2011 6.7 ENGINE FAILURE UNDER 116,000 ORIGINAL OWNER

I am extremely upset. I special ordered my 2011 F-350 4x4 superduty because of the hype about it and the reviews Ford posted about these trucks going over 300,000 pulling heavy trailers around the country. This my first and only new vehicle I have ever had and probably will. It has under 116,000 and has always had all services and maintained. While idling waiting for a coworker it started to miss and the check engine light came on. Went straight to have code checked and it came up #2 injector failure. Then started to hear tapping and shut it down. Injector was replaced and while warming up and before test drive tapping got louder and then a squealing. Never a sign of any kind of problem at all. Ford dealer now says it has had another failure and is terminal and motor has to be replaced at $19,0000.00 plus tax. I paid $68,0000 for the truck of my dreams with extended warranty and everything and get just outside of warranty and a engine that was supposed to go well over 300,000 doesn't even make it half way and the dealer doesn't even say why just that it is terminal and must be replaced. This is ridiculous and very upsetting. :-huh:-huh:-huh:(:(:(:(

I.B. Washincars 11-14-2017 07:07 PM

Sounds like a used engine would be your best option. There's one in your state, with 41K miles for $7000. You could probably be back on the road for 10K or less.

Chuck's First Ford 11-14-2017 07:09 PM

demand a better answer.... I would not accept what they offered...

or better yet.. have it towed to a better dealer...

19K for a word "terminal".

Just Strokin 11-14-2017 07:24 PM

What was the mfg date of your truck?

See if your truck falls into the category of this TSB.

You might can get some assistance from Ford if it does. No guaranty or anything, but, if the truck was MFG before 3/29/2011, have the warranty clerk contact the regional office and see if they will assist you with the repairs. Or maybe you can contact the CSM for you district. Do not go in with guns blazing but be kind and inquire if your trucks is one of these in the TSB. Kindness goes a long way with outside of warranty assistance from Ford.

Reference TSB 14-0127

ISSUE:

Some 2011 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine and built on or before 3/29/2011 may exhibit a runs rough or no crank concern due to a broken exhaust valve. DTCs P0671, P0672, P0673, P0674, P0675, P0676, P0677 and/or P0678 may be stored in the powertrain control module (PCM) from a damaged glow plug. The glow plug circuit DTCs may also be accompanied by cylinder misfire DTCs, cylinder contribution DTCs or other engine performance DTCs.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

Does the vehicle exhibit a runs rough, no crank concern with any of the following DTCs P0671, P0672, P0673, P0674, P0675, P0676, P0677 and/or P0678?
No - this article does not apply. Refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual for normal diagnosis.
Yes - proceed to Step 2.

Remove and inspect the glow plug associated with glow plug circuit DTC present. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-07C. Is the glow plug damaged?
No - this article does not apply. Refer to the PC/ED manual for normal diagnosis.
Yes - replace the engine long block. Refer to WSM, Section 303-01C.
For prior approval warranty repairs, complete the cost cap tool by selecting short block, both cylinder heads, oil cooler and 16 lifters.

S & K Racing 11-14-2017 08:20 PM

Larry
Thank you. I will try to find the district CSM. Do you know where I might find a number. I took delivery of the truck in October on 2010 so I was definitely before 3-2011.

All I can do at this point is hope for some assistance. I love my truck but can not afford that kind of repair bill or to replace it. The whole reason I bought this truck was to have it for the next 20 years

Just Strokin 11-14-2017 08:31 PM

Ask the Ford dealer to pull the DTC's andd see if they match up with the ones in the TSB.

Try the Ford CRC number 1-800-392-3673

Pocketlint 11-14-2017 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by S & K Racing (Post 17592140)
Larry
Thank you. I will try to find the district CSM. Do you know where I might find a number. I took delivery of the truck in October on 2010 so I was definitely before 3-2011.

All I can do at this point is hope for some assistance. I love my truck but can not afford that kind of repair bill or to replace it. The whole reason I bought this truck was to have it for the next 20 years

I would definetly try and press for a better answer as well and escalate it up the chain. If you could ( notice how I said could) afford a neew engine it would be covered under warranty for however the period of time is that it comes with warranty wise.

The only other solution is like I.B.Washingcars mentioned is to look for a used 6.7 Ford engine out of a wreck. If you were to do that I would look for an engine that was out of a 2012 and up 6.7. You would still have to pay to have it installed of course but it would be cheaper than new and I would look as low miles as you can get.

It sucks when these engines break but honestly it doesnt matter if it was a Dodge RAM GMC or Chev any of the newer diesel engines for 11 and up are expensive to replace no matter what brand, it's just the way it is.

You could always see if you can find a reputable diesel shop to rebuild your engine if it isnt thrashed with FORD parts no knock off or dorman or junk chinese parts because inferior parts means its just matter of when you will be going back in to rebuild a second time and no one likes to spend money twice.

One thing you can do as well if you are going to need a new Ford engine. Call up other dealers and say hey my engine grenaded I need a new or reman engine installed how much would you charge for the shebang.... get quotes from dealer all around you, dealers will compete for the work, as much as they are telling you 18k, they arent buying the parts for 18 and doing the install for a grand there is profit there Get competing quotes from other dealers

But Work on getting answers on your truck and they why's wand what's that happened and see what and where things go, in the meantime work on the back up plans like quotes from other dealers, quotes from shop that know these engines if you need to install one from a wrecked truck and get that information too.

Keep us up date how things go, good luck!

speakerfritz 11-15-2017 12:41 PM

bump it up the chain and keep making a lot of internet noise about it.

you diid what you were told by ford and you expect them to do the right thing.

AND, the hype I saw was the 150K continuous ride around the country pulling a decent sied trailer.

sunuvabug 11-15-2017 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by I.B. Washincars (Post 17591957)
Sounds like a used engine would be your best option. There's one in your state, with 41K miles for $7000. You could probably be back on the road for 10K or less.

I feel your pain ... especially something you bought new. Happened to me twice years ago on 2 separate cars (GM & Ford). Got rid of them after the manufacturer(s) made the appropriate replacements ON THEIR DIME. Be polite, persistent and progressive (escalating the issue both inside and outside of FORD i.e. social media, news media, government ombudsmen, even legal representation etc.).

I agree with I.B. Washincars. Perhaps Ford would be willing to split (50/50) the cost of a mutually acceptable used engine and foot the labour (100%) to swap it out. Don't hold your breath but that's where I would start. They'd also probably not be willing to warrant a used engine at all either.

speakerfritz 11-15-2017 01:12 PM

One more thought

see if there are metal particles in the fuel filters

if yes

then have the fuel tested for contamination

if contamination is found

ser if yourcomprrhensive insurance will cover it.

Copper.Farm 11-15-2017 01:52 PM

I feel your pain.... at least it was not the mishaps of the 6.0L - I sold that truck(boat anchor) at 98,000 because the warranty expired at 100,000 and I decided I could not afford to keep it running.

Now, 160k on my 6.4L with no issues at all.

Like many, I need 300,000+ to break even.

S & K Racing 11-15-2017 07:11 PM

I called ford customer service and after being on hold for 27 mins then another 15 as she "checked" to see, to be told sorry there is nothing we can do for you at this time but make sure to keep my receipts. When I asked if there was someone else I could talk to about it I was told "I am sorry sir there is no further assistance we can give you."

This sounds to me that they know it is a problem and that they just avoiding it until they are made to deal with it. Up until this point I had nothing bad to say and actually was a big factor in twelve of my friends and their friends to buy one of these trucks. Now I am rethinking my decisions.

99f350sd 11-16-2017 07:46 AM

I feel the pain....I would never own a diesel without super extended insurance to cover the powertrain..at least till 200k..is that even possible.

99f350sd 11-16-2017 07:49 AM

I would call that guy down in georgia...whats his name..powerstroke help . com.
Bill Hewitt.. Thats it..go nowhere else imo

S & K Racing 12-11-2017 05:33 PM

Well it is still a mess. Took it took another dealer for a second opinion and told that it appears to be a spun bearing that should not have happened. They were filing for assistance from Ford when it came back that there wouldn't be any because of the first dealer listing "Lack of Maintenance" which is not true, and now the dealership that could not tell me what was wrong is now stopping me to be able to have a chance for assistance. I am still stuck with a truck that should have easily gone 300,000 that didn't even come close. Pretty sad to, seeing how my 2001 f-150 that I gave my brother when I got my dream truck now has over 320,000 on original equipment. (because it was and is maintained). Looks like my days of being Ford Loyal is over.......
All those friends that I pumped up about my truck that ended up getting themselves one are already or will be soon getting rid of theirs before they have a similar problem. SAD when 4 of five cars in my family are fords.

One disgusted and upset Multiple Ford Owner