Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   Transfer case help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1515840-transfer-case-help.html)

69rangerhiboy 11-14-2017 06:53 AM

Transfer case help

Once again I need some help on my old truck.It is a 69 F250 4x4 with HD dana44m front with the large hubs and a rebuild model 24 transfer case.
Yesterday I took it for a run down I-70 to get some gas at the other end of town. Just installed new electronic ignition and plugs and coil and Taylor plug wires. Run up to close to 77 mph with no problem at all. When I got out of it to take the ramp getting off, I had a lot of noise in the transfer case like it may have been between neutral and 4 high. Have no carpet or pad right now as I just finished putting the seat back in after covering the floor with Dynamat. Today will be installing new Warn Hubs and working on the transfer case linkage from the pass posting I did.
Anybody got any ideas on the noise when I backed out of the throttle?
Thanks guys for sharing all your knowledge and experience!

orich 11-14-2017 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by 69rangerhiboy (Post 17590130)
Once again I need some help on my old truck.It is a 69 F250 4x4 with HD dana44m front with the large hubs and a rebuild model 24 transfer case.
Yesterday I took it for a run down I-70 to get some gas at the other end of town. Just installed new electronic ignition and plugs and coil and Taylor plug wires. Run up to close to 77 mph with no problem at all. When I got out of it to take the ramp getting off, I had a lot of noise in the transfer case like it may have been between neutral and 4 high. Have no carpet or pad right now as I just finished putting the seat back in after covering the floor with Dynamat. Today will be installing new Warn Hubs and working on the transfer case linkage from the pass posting I did.
Anybody got any ideas on the noise when I backed out of the throttle?
Thanks guys for sharing all your knowledge and experience!

Hmm check all your joints & the sliding yokes for any of the spline movement up & down play.

Orich

fe390pc 11-14-2017 01:17 PM

I agree with Orich.
1) Check your u-joints (have you replaced them and are they greased?).
Remember there are three shafts to look at.
2) Check the slip joints on the drive shafts, they should be free to extend and retract but little side to side movement. These should also be greased.
3) Verify that you didn't have a hub locked too.

My front shaft was destroyed because the slip joint was down near the axle and not up at the transfer case. This placement had allowed water to get into the joint and completely destroy the splines.

69rangerhiboy 11-14-2017 07:36 PM

Ok! I had the u joints replaced with new Spicers when I had the transfer case and tranny out of the truck for rebuild. A young guy at the local Chevy dealership (sorry,please don't shoot at me) put the u joints in for my while I was in Michigan. He is a motor-head and works on many older trucks and cars for people here. He admitted he did not check the slip joints as I had asked him to. I thought about that this afternoon as I took my brother for a spin in the truck so he could get down by the shift levers and listen and feel for vibration. He says the noise is mostly coming from the tranny in the front, especially backing out of the throttle going down hill. I know with 3 drive shafts it ain't going to be like a church! But there is something going on and I will be under it after the rain quits checking the slip joints. My money is on the slip joints at this point. Got new Warn Hubs on her today and now I can tell if a hub is locked or unlocked. The old dogs were really bad. I will be cleaning the up for the internet for a guy going old school. An other ideas, shout them out guys! I'm all ears and eye balls!

fe390pc 11-14-2017 07:44 PM

The tranny could be low on gear oil too.

orich 11-14-2017 08:57 PM

Dry slip joints can make noise, remember the transfer case can jump around when changing gears unless you have a torque support rod rigged up on it.

Kind of like this but mind is a 205.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...37f1fa0755.jpg

205 TFC bracket

69rangerhiboy 11-14-2017 09:22 PM

Where can I find a torque support rod to rig up? Or can you give me the info to make one? The tranny is full of gear oil. I put in it Castrol Syngear CD-50 which is made specifically for manual transmissions. I know heavy lube like 75w is used by some but at times it does not reach all the bearings. This is good stuff! Use it in Road Ranger and other heavy truck trannys.

orich 11-14-2017 09:55 PM

You'll have to dream one up an design.

I got the bearing plate off ebay then made up my own.
Orich
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...74db31795a.jpg

09 Mustang mufflers

69rangerhiboy 11-15-2017 08:14 PM

Orich,
What did the 5 speed do for your gasoline money? 416cid! What did the motor start life as?

Crawled under the 69 today and the slip yokes are all tighter than a nat's rear stretched over a rain barrel except the one on the transmission! Anybody got a Spicer part number and a place to get it for a fair price. Have not bought one for since probably early 80's when I had a 71 f100 4x4. Biggest mistake I ever made concerning trucks! Thanks for the help guys and gals!

RichS2659 11-15-2017 08:29 PM

There is a guy on Fordification that has made Dana 24 strutrods for bumps for orders.

orich 11-15-2017 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by 69rangerhiboy (Post 17594618)
Orich,
What did the 5 speed do for your gasoline money? 416cid! What did the motor start life as?

Crawled under the 69 today and the slip yokes are all tighter than a nat's rear stretched over a rain barrel except the one on the transmission! Anybody got a Spicer part number and a place to get it for a fair price. Have not bought one for since probably early 80's when I had a 71 f100 4x4. Biggest mistake I ever made concerning trucks! Thanks for the help guys and gals!

Well it was a 390 engine to start with an added a 428 crank then had it punch out 0.30th bore.

With a o/d 5sp one was to learn how to drive with it for getting as much mileage as you can.

I only check the mileage once when, I first the installed the motor.
Had about 350 miles on the motor before heading home from my sons home where we install the new motor.

I took it kind of easy on the new motor on my way home Las Vegas to san Jose 527 miles from is door to mind. Varying my speed 45-70mph.
I checked the mileage an figured 14.+

I drive my truck keeping my eye on the vacuum meter mileage. It some thing you have train yourself to do for max mileage.

Orich

69rangerhiboy 11-15-2017 09:14 PM

Got any ideas of horsepower? Checked mine today on trip to my brothers hauling scrap metal, about 900 to 1100 lbs. got about 12 mpg. Traveled 125 miles on the odometer.
Truck has 138,000 miles, not sure about engine, it had been rebuilt by the guy I bought it from in Colorado. He has a auto dealership so rebuilding it was a no brainer. He put a RV cam in it with a Edelbrock 4 barrel with a cast iron intake.

Got a name for the guy that makes the strut rods?

orich 11-15-2017 09:35 PM

Some guys have trouble with the slip joint making noises if not using the correct spline lube.

I myself started having a harmonic in lower gear (like I was lugging it) when I went to a 205 TC. I then found out ford have this problem also an use a heavy lube.

Also other vehicle company's used it on there 4x4's

I pulled the drive line apart wiped as much grease off as, I could then applied Anti-Seize compound with the brush it come with 8.oz type container. I put as much as, I could in the slip joint splines put it back together that was my fix.

I did order the stuff ford used but have not use it yet.
It white thick stuff comes in a tube.
can't remember the name right now.

Orich

orich 11-15-2017 10:11 PM

Aw here the spline lube ford uses
Orich
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...86ac368e01.jpg