Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   Why do you love your bronco? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1515712-why-do-you-love-your-bronco.html)

phillips91 11-13-2017 11:27 AM

Why do you love your bronco?

My wife refuses to drive my bronco(not that I'm complaining) because it is a pain to get in the back seat, switching car seats in and out is a headache, getting in the back to get groceries is a chore(she's short, so open spare, lower window, open gate, climb up on gate,etc). She asked me what was so special about it and why I've held onto it all these years as other vehicles have came and went. So I'm curious what it is that makes everyone else hold onto theirs.

When i was 4 I went bronco shopping with my dad. He let me pick out which one I liked the best. He was about to sign the papers on it but when he asked the dealer if he could knock $500 of it to match the Chevy blazer across the street the dealer told dad to just go buy the Chevy. So we did. I spent many nights with dad in the back of that blazer going hunting, fishing and camping. It was what I learned to drive in. Even though our expedition, vans, escape, etc, have all been more convenient for daily use and kid carrying, taking my boys out in it makes me feel like that little kid again.

My boys are 3 and 2 and out of all the vehicles I have, the bronco is by far their favorite. My 2 years olds first words were da da and his second word was "co." My wife had no clue what he was saying, but everytime we would take him outside he would yell "co" and try to get down. I set him down and he went straight to the bronco, pointed at it and started yelling "co! Co!" So it's staying around until they get older and then it's up to them to figure out a way to share it lol.

75BigBlock 11-13-2017 04:40 PM

I haven't had mine for very long, but I do really like it. I got my first vehicle when I was 15 (my '75 F150) and grew to love the dentside F-Series. I was going to get a short bed 4x4 dentside to have as an offroad toy, but this '78 Bronco popped up for cheap. Ultimately, for me, it was the fact that it has a back seat and the "roof" comes off that made me get it over a short bed single cab truck. I have 3 young daughters and being able to take them with me to experience what I consider fun and have that open top open air feeling is great.

Locoforfomoco 11-13-2017 08:35 PM

I don't love it. I rather hate it right now. It's saving grace is it has a straight, fairly rust free body, it has only 65K miles, and posi trac front and rear. The steering is the worst in any vehicle I've ever owned and the early fuel injection leaves something to be desired. It's fairly close to putting a gasoline drenched sweat sock in the throttle body. (Actually, I think I would get better performance from the sock) The AOD shifts well, but the 302 runs spasmodically at best. When punching it off the line, it launches you into the intersection where it falls flat on it's face and stalls momentarily. Just as quick as it stalls and right before the traffic runs into you, it starts going again. As mentioned earlier, the steering has a random binding that happens when turning or at high speeds while going down a two lane black top. When it unbinds it will send the truck towards oncoming traffic, towards the side of the car next to you or ditch bound. Sometimes it does it from left to right a few times to make sure you've cleared your bowels out completely in your BVDs. To say it's exciting to drive is like saying the Elephant Man had a little puffiness around his eyes. This particular truck is not for the beginner.

ZombieSlayer 11-13-2017 11:44 PM

I've loved the 78-79 and 92-96 since I was in high school. My freshman year this new kid (a junior) comes rolling up in his dads 78 brown and white beast. We had a lot of fun with that one.

Then I saw my first 95 the following year when I met my girlfriends parents. Lots of memories from that one too, although not as many involving actual driving :D

ATC Crazy 11-18-2017 06:27 PM

My main mode of transportation has been 3/4 and 1-ton trucks for the past 10 years. A Bronco has always been on my want list, and I finally picked one up a few months ago. I love the nimbleness, short wheelbase maneuverability, and the softer suspension.
And best of all, after owning newer trucks, I welcome the simplicity of the older stuff!

diymirage 11-23-2017 02:27 PM

out of the 5 people living in my house, 3 hate the bronco and will take any ANY other vehicle i got

when i bought it, i had a very specific list of demands and there were only 4 vehicles that fit made all the demands

Plymouth Trailduster
Dodge Ramcharger
ford bronco
chevy blazer

out of those 4, the only one could find, affordably was the bronco, so it is what it is

Rileybronco22 12-09-2017 08:31 PM

Broncos are the huskiest trucks on the road, solid like a rock! Tons of space, but easy to control. Every year and model has something special about it. There's nothing else that comes close to the body of a Bronco. Its like a second home to me. Would love a Raptor haha, but could never feel the love like I do with a Bronco. Couldn't imagine life without mine. Crazy attached to her. Closest I'll get to a Mack until I get my CDL! lol Some people talk *****, but they don't know what they're missin!

NASSTY 12-10-2017 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a love, hate relationship with my 92 Bronco.
Mostly love because I can't seem to part with it, but I hate the:
Heater (weakest blower motor ever)
Head lights
Wipers
Rattling on bumpy roads
Handling sucks compared to my last several F150's (97,06, 11, 14 and 17)

grumpin 12-10-2017 11:20 AM

Nice Looking Bronco!

phillips91 12-10-2017 07:45 PM

Good to see some other answers. My wife and I have 3 little ones and I recently got an escape to make getting them into their car seats a lot easier. Carrying sleeping toddlers in from the back seat of a bronco is a pain in the butt too. My wife swore she was done with kids, so I figured I was good with the escape and then as the kids got older and could buckle themselves in I could use the bronco a little more. Plans change and in about 9 months we will see if the bronco survives the cut when i need a vehicle that will seat 4 kids. It's stuck with me this long, so I think it will still be around after baby #4 :-drink

EDC8008 12-11-2017 11:49 PM

Well it's just me (57) and the wife (60) so we don't have that problem but we got grand kids so we'll see how it goes.

:-bigparty:-bigparty:-bigparty:-bigparty

fe390pc 12-12-2017 12:47 PM

I have had three broncos. 1988, 1989 and 1991 I miss everyone of them. It was the best all around vehicle I have ever owned. We used them to pull snowmobiles from Mass to Maine in the winter. The 88 was a 302 with C6 and it was just a beast. No AC or power windows. The 89 had two problems, the rear window was installed wrong and the gauges never worked right till I pulled the dash and soldered all the connections on the gauge panel. Put about 100K on that one. The 91 was just a fun truck, never had much go wrong but with over 100K we replaced it with a 1997 F150. I will get another bronco as soon as I finish my 70 F250 rebuild.

diymirage 12-25-2017 02:06 PM

i will say this...i love how this truck still has driprails
i can open my door under 3 inches of fresh snow, and NONE of it gets sucked into the truck and unto my seat

AbandonedBronco 01-03-2018 11:26 AM

I love my Bronco because of what it can do. It's got it all.

Sure, it's a love/hate relationship but mainly because it's over 35 years old and it needs maintenance, but I love driving it every day.
They handle really well, they look awesome, and they're extremely capable. I love the room they have while still being compact. Being able to fit 5 adults and a load of camping gear, and still being short/nimble enough to wind up high mountain trails is irreplaceable. Not to mention, I can still comfortably do 80mph on the interstate to get there (another plus is how comfortable they are on long trips).

It can fill so many different roles and it fills them all well.

Then, since it IS 35 years old, insurance is dirt cheap as are parts. And it's easy to work on.

JRE_96Bronco 01-03-2018 04:38 PM

I had one via marriage. A 1994 White "OJ" Bronco.
The wife got tired of driving it. So we bought her a little convertible car.
In the split, I got the Bronco and she got the convertible.
I sold it about 7 years ago.

Today, I bought a new (old) one. 1996 Black Bronco.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...791fa60a4a.jpgJRE_1996Bronco

Needs some TLC (new roof paint and top paint for example) and then some help from this board...obviously....but I like her so far.