Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   Can I get all the coolant out of my van......And ...go! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1515201-can-i-get-all-the-coolant-out-of-my-van-and-go.html)

humphrey169 11-09-2017 10:23 AM

Can I get all the coolant out of my van......And ...go!

Argue here, not there.

fordman75 11-09-2017 11:21 PM

By just draining the system, no. There will always be some left in the block and heater system ( depending on the vehicle ) .

By flushing the system, yes.

Drain the system, get as much coolant as possible out. Then flush it with water. If you are worried you didn't get all the coolant out. Then fill the system with straight water, drive and repeat.

Drain the system. If you are concerned about the water you can also use low pressure air to blow thru the system. This will get more water out.

But a little straight water is not going to throw the mixture off enough to be a problem. And once refilled and ran for a little bit, you can check the coolant with a tester.

That being said. If you are in a cold weather climate you have to do this when it's warm enough out. You don't want that straight water freezing.:D

Im50fast 11-10-2017 03:43 AM

I’ve been thinking lately about changing my coolant... I changed my spark plugs at 315,000 miles and learned that they are factory originals. I bet my coolant is also.

I dont even even know where to start

vettex2 11-10-2017 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by fordman75 (Post 17581459)
By just draining the system, no. There will always be some left in the block and heater system ( depending on the vehicle ) .

By flushing the system, yes.

Drain the system, get as much coolant as possible out. Then flush it with water. If you are worried you didn't get all the coolant out. Then fill the system with straight water, drive and repeat.

Drain the system. If you are concerned about the water you can also use low pressure air to blow thru the system. This will get more water out.

But a little straight water is not going to throw the mixture off enough to be a problem. And once refilled and ran for a little bit, you can check the coolant with a tester.

That being said. If you are in a cold weather climate you have to do this when it's warm enough out. You don't want that straight water freezing.:D

:-X22:-drink

NICKSAN 11-10-2017 07:45 PM

I was never able to get all the coolant out of my 1970 Beetle.

fordman75 11-10-2017 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by NICKSAN (Post 17583182)

I bet you forgot to let the air out of the tires, didn't you?:D If it's air cooled then the air in the tires could be considered coolant.:-X04

jayro88 11-11-2017 07:14 AM

I would think that you could just drain it all out, but if you did a few cycles of drain, add water, drain, add water (maybe some Prestone flush while you are at it) You would be able to dilute the original coolant down to the point where it is a non-factor.

If there is a way to test for the presence of the coolant (maybe some kind of test strips) do an experiment and report back......pretty much the only way to put this to bed.

NICKSAN 11-11-2017 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by fordman75 (Post 17583473)
I bet you forgot to let the air out of the tires, didn't you?:D If it's air cooled then the air in the tires could be considered coolant.:-X04

Yes, and spark plug #6 was really hard to get to, but I got it. :-X04

fordman75 11-11-2017 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by NICKSAN (Post 17584887)
Yes, and spark plug #6 was really hard to get to, but I got it. :-X04

What did the glove box door get stuck shut? That's usually where I keep my spare plugs.:-X04

NICKSAN 11-11-2017 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by fordman75 (Post 17584915)
What did the glove box door get stuck shut? That's usually where I keep my spare plugs.:-X04

LOL, on a serious note, I miss my bug, It was a baja bug and I built it from scratch.

If I ever win the lottery or work up the courage to rob a bank I am going to build another one. :D

Stewart_H 11-12-2017 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by NICKSAN (Post 17583182)

This is a Ford forum, not an Entomology forum! :-missingt :-X14 :-X24

Kidding aside, all y'all can disagree all ya want, but don't let the disagreements cause flaming like it did in the other thread I cleaned. :-whud

Stewart

NICKSAN 11-13-2017 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 17586758)
This is a Ford forum, not an Entomology forum! :-missingt :-X14

:-X24

Ouch..... Nice one. :D