Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   E Brake Stuck "Off", Pedal Locked Up (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1514936-e-brake-stuck-off-pedal-locked-up.html)

Somerowl 11-07-2017 01:13 PM

E Brake Stuck "Off", Pedal Locked Up

Good day y'all,
Finally got my project running and driving after sitting just over a year. Brought it back from the initial run and it felt like the brakes were partially engaged. Then when attempting to reset the EBrake, the pedal is stuck in the UP position:-huh. Even if I pull the release lever and try to engage it, no luck, still stuck up (like it's mechanically stuck like hitting a pin or something, won't budge). I did remove the rear discs and the ebrake was binding up a bit with a bunch of surface rust there, since been cleaned out and the cable is acting correctly now, I can pull it by hand and watch the levers actuate with the discs off.
The control unit is apparently riveted together and I can't see anything binding up with it still installed.
The next action is to remove it and see what I can see on the bench, however, with this tremendous forum I figured I'd see if anyone has any great ideas before I go through that exercise.
I could not find anything about the pedal being stuck up elsewhere in the forums, just a bunch of them with them stuck on, that's simple enough, but this one............a different area than I'm used to.
Please help, this explorer is ready to roll!!!:-jammin
Thanks,
Nick

Somerowl 11-27-2017 10:37 AM

UPDATE!!!
The Cable is the issue, not the mechanism. Removed the mechanism and the cable is still locked up. Not the best situation, but certainly simpler to deal with than the mechanism and the cable. Front Cable only, doesn't look like much fun to replace, but straight forward and should take care of the issue.

steve(ill) 11-27-2017 12:54 PM

in the old days we use to "loosen" up rusted cables by taking a plastic bag, poke a hole it in, and tape over the end of the cable making a FUNNEL around it.... put 2 spoon fulls of WD40 or penetrant in the funnel and let it soak down the cable and cover for a day.. do it again,,,, then exercise the cable back and forth ( if possible) and let it free up.. Good lube and monthly operation after that will help.

Somerowl 12-26-2017 12:58 PM

After doing just that (more or less) with PB Blaster and having no luck. Twisted the cable with vise grips (figured nothing to lose on that cable at that point) and having no luck. Broke down and ordered the cable (all of $20 off Ebay), ready to replace the beast. It's super tight and the rears are fully functional and freed up, kind of concerned about replacing it and having enough play. Might have to remove both wheels and re-adjust to install. Any tips here?
Thanks for the help!!