Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   High boost - no pull (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1514912-high-boost-no-pull.html)

Picton 11-07-2017 09:54 AM

High boost - no pull

What could be causing this?

The turbo seems to work more than it should...and the truck doesn't seem to pull like it should. I experience the issue regardless of the tune I'm running. Just recently went back to the "DPF Off" stock HP tune. Same issue. Entering the freeway with an entrance ramp going up hill is where the issue really shines. You'll hit over 20psi, 2k rpm and feel like your not going anywhere. Could this be an exhaust back pressure sensor issue? I don't know what else could be causing this. My truck isn't throwing any codes and never has since I first started noticing this.

Thoughts?

Firefighter 1406 11-07-2017 12:06 PM

Any black soot under hood?

Picton 11-07-2017 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 (Post 17575049)
Any black soot under hood?

None at all. Also...I don't recall having this issue until I removed the DOC. Which was done thousands of miles apart from the DPF.

slowmans 11-07-2017 05:42 PM

Could be EBP sensor acting up....

6.4L EBP Failure - Exhaust Back Pressure -- Powerstrokehelp.com

Picton 11-08-2017 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by slowmans (Post 17575890)

Yeah I've seen that video before. Sure sounds like it. Though I don't have smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I'll give it a good cleaning anyway. If that doesn't fix it, I'll replace the sensor. So like he says in the video, I guess the best angle of attack would be from the driver side fender well. I assume he took the wheel/tire off?

Picton 11-08-2017 06:59 PM

I had another thought. Since this started happening around the time I finally deleted the DOC, I have it in my head that the delete is possibly the issue. Does the engine have enough back pressure once you've deleted the DOC/DPF? Surely that can't be the issue as I've not heard of anyone complaining about loss of power and high boost due to deleting the emissions equipment.

Sorry fellas...I may have just had a complete conversation with myself on my own thread.

Probably the EBP sensor...or the tube it sits in getting clogged up with soot. Which would be especially possible with my driving conditions...short trips...often not allowed to really warm up (though we're talking Houston, TX...They don't even recommend plugging the truck in until you've reached -20*...or was it 20*...either way in Houston we're not hitting those marks) so it could coke up a bit. Hopefully that is all it is.

DieselDenny 11-08-2017 07:27 PM

Kinda thinkin that your steering a good course Pic.

Let us know.

How about pulling cables overnight. Clearing codes first and then take the girl to prom so you have a fresh insight.

Denny

Picton 11-08-2017 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by slowmans (Post 17575890)

slowmans...Apologies. I just realized I didn't thank you for the tip and the video link. You're the man for that one!

Denny - Thanks for the positive reinforcement...once again...I find myself not 100% certain as to your meaning...lol.

I don't have any codes being thrown...unless by putting on a new EBP sensor will throw a code that needs to be cleared? All I know is...prom night...**** is going down.

slowmans 11-09-2017 06:26 PM

No Problem, i think that is going to be your issue!

Picton 11-09-2017 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by slowmans (Post 17580872)
No Problem, i think that is going to be your issue!

Let's hope so!

Firefighter 1406 11-10-2017 11:58 AM

Interested to see what you find out.

DieselDenny 11-12-2017 04:20 PM

Any findings?

Picton 11-12-2017 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by DieselDenny (Post 17586562)
Any findings?

Not yet Denny. Didn't get a chance to really look at the sensor until this afternoon. If I were to try to clean...the sensor sits right on top and the port where Bill Hewitt cleaned was at the bottom at the exhaust manifold. Correct? Of course the placement doesn't easily allow for a tool on either end. And the mounting bracket the tube is held in place by doesn't look nearly beefy enough to handle the torque that may be required to remove the EBP sensor a the top. The sensor lug is thick. Anyone know the tool? At either end?

Do I remove the fender well shielding? Does it go back together well? That can be a potential royal pain to bolt back in.

Thoughts?

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f728bae9ed.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...454a514a88.jpg

DieselDenny 11-12-2017 06:14 PM

Pic, might be chasing a rainbow on this problem, but maint is maint. In my footsteps, it's never been the device, it's always the delivery man. I would pull the tube and send a team of oscillating fibromastic crap down it and then do a recheck. Then replace the sensor.

I'm still pondering the WHOLE issue.

Denny

Picton 11-12-2017 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by DieselDenny (Post 17586779)
Pic, might be chasing a rainbow on this problem, but maint is maint. In my footsteps, it's never been the device, it's always the delivery man. I would pull the tube and send a team of oscillating fibromastic crap down it and then do a recheck. Then replace the sensor.

I'm still pondering the WHOLE issue.

Denny

Don't know about a rainbow...there is some information on the issue I'm having possibly related to the EBP sensor. Worth investigating. I'll let you know.