Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Transmission and OBD port issues. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1512473-transmission-and-obd-port-issues.html)

hellssorrow 10-19-2017 05:39 PM

Transmission and OBD port issues.

Hey fellow FTE'ers, hope you guys are doing better than I.

The truck: 1999 F-250 LD XLT? 4WD, 5.4 Gas 254221Miles, 4R100 rebuilt less than 10 miles,Tow package.

The problems:

1. Transmission will not shift out of 1st gear, drives forward in Neutral, drives forward with reverse lights on in Reverse.

2. No speed read out on speedometer, it doesn't move at all. Transmission does have both speed sensors in it and plugged in. Worked before transmission rebuild.

3. OBD port has no power not does the cigarette lighter port, yes the underdash fuse F3 was good, replaced it with a new 20A fuse that was tested before installing it.

Background, transmission was rebuilt by a friend who owned a transmission shop and retired. Unfortunately he passed away from a PE last week, so I'm on my own. The day the transmission was installed it worked like a dream, all gears worked fine, 2nd day the problems as stated above. I got a OBD scanner to try to see codes, but problem 3 is stopping me. I'm not afraid of doing work, my issues are knowledge, tools, money, and time, but isn't that everyone's. Being a volunteer firefighter and EMT student doesn't help the time & money. Any knowledge or suggestions on these problems are greatly appreciated. Also, assume I have basic mechanical knowledge and limited tools. If you guys need any more info on the truck let me know. Thank you.

Mark Kovalsky 10-19-2017 07:54 PM

There are two ways I can see it moving forward in every position. One, the manual valve inside the pan isn't properly connected to the linkage, so that when you're moving the shifter the manual valve isn't moving.

Second, the forward clutch could have failed.

With the shifter in park and the engine off will the truck roll, or does park hold?

hellssorrow 10-19-2017 09:10 PM

Thanks for the reply Mark.

With the engine off in park it will hold without the parking break engaged, but will roll in R-N-D-2-1.

I'm guessing if the forward clutch failed, it/s either a bad rebuild or defective part as the truck has about 10 miles on it with the rebuilt transmission, am I correct?

I'm spent $800 on the rebuild and would hate to have to get it done again, especially since it's 42 miles to the next closest shop and with the truck down I got a motorcycle as my daily driver.

Is there any thing else it could be or any additional test I can do? just want to be as sure as possible.

Thanks again Mark.

Mark Kovalsky 10-20-2017 05:14 AM

Yes, you could take the pan off and see if the linkage is connected to the manual valve.

Mickey Bitsko 10-21-2017 08:05 PM

Not being snarky or a smart azz, I would bite the bullet and tow/trailer it to the nearest dealership or most highly recommended transmission shop and have every issue addressed and get on with life.
In reality, getting any transmission rebuilt properly for$800 is a steal. Even a few hundred more is still a good deal.
Just my .02
Mickey