Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   A FEW QUESTIONS ON SOME F150 OPTIONS: 2011-2015 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1511542-a-few-questions-on-some-f150-options-2011-2015-a.html)

jaygee15 10-12-2017 03:10 PM

A FEW QUESTIONS ON SOME F150 OPTIONS: 2011-2015

I know this is the 09-14 section, but I am considering trucks between 2011-2015 if I might be able to find a good deal on a 2015 that I can afford. I have a few questions I hope you guys might be able to answer to help narrow down the truck I am looking for. I will be using the truck for some daily driving, camping, towing, offroading, etc purposes. I also want the ecoboost engine. So here are my questions.

Does only the fx4 come with a locking rear diff or can you get a lariat , platinum or king ranch with one also?
When did the 10 speed tranny get introduced? how does the 6 speed stack up against it?
are there any years with known issues that I want to avoid?
Which models or years have the shift knob on the center hump, I don't like the ones with the bench seat and shifter on the column?
which models have the full selection of 4x4, auto, hi, and low?

Thank you , and any other advise is welcomed. I hope to buy a truck in the next six months.

AlaskanEx 10-12-2017 04:29 PM

Replies to questions in Red

Does only the fx4 come with a locking rear diff or can you get a lariat , platinum or king ranch with one also? Locking rear axle was optional on all F-150s from XL and up 2011-2015 as far as I know

When did the 10 speed tranny get introduced? how does the 6 speed stack up against it? I've never driven the 10 speed which came out in 2017 behind the 3.5 Eco and in 2018 is behind all but the base engine. I can't comment on how it drives the but 6 speed has proven to be reliable and mostly problem free

are there any years with known issues that I want to avoid? I believe early Ecoboost trucks 2011-2012 could have a few issues that were later fixed, the vacuum pump behind one of them, otherwise '13-15 should be pretty good

Which models or years have the shift knob on the center hump, I don't like the ones with the bench seat and shifter on the column? you'll need to make sure you get a lariat or above trim and make sure it has a full length center console, that is the only way to get the floor mounted shifter, this goes for all years you are interested in

which models have the full selection of 4x4, auto, hi, and low? you will need a 2012 or newer lariat or above trim level to get the "Auto 4x4" option otherwise it will just be normal 4x4

Robbgt 10-13-2017 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by AlaskanEx (Post 17522621)
Which models or years have the shift knob on the center hump, I don't like the ones with the bench seat and shifter on the column? you'll need to make sure you get a lariat or above trim and make sure it has a full length center console, that is the only way to get the floor mounted shifter, this goes for all years you are interested in

Russ, I believe the '15 XLT with sport package came with the console mount shifter as well. :-wink

AlaskanEx 10-13-2017 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Robbgt (Post 17523903)
Russ, I believe the '15 XLT with sport package came with the console mount shifter as well. :-wink

Learn something new every day, I'm not as well informed on the 15-up trucks. :-wink

jaygee15 10-20-2017 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by AlaskanEx (Post 17522621)
Replies to questions in Red

Does only the fx4 come with a locking rear diff or can you get a lariat , platinum or king ranch with one also? Locking rear axle was optional on all F-150s from XL and up 2011-2015 as far as I know

When did the 10 speed tranny get introduced? how does the 6 speed stack up against it? I've never driven the 10 speed which came out in 2017 behind the 3.5 Eco and in 2018 is behind all but the base engine. I can't comment on how it drives the but 6 speed has proven to be reliable and mostly problem free

are there any years with known issues that I want to avoid? I believe early Ecoboost trucks 2011-2012 could have a few issues that were later fixed, the vacuum pump behind one of them, otherwise '13-15 should be pretty good

which models have the full selection of 4x4, auto, hi, and low? you will need a 2012 or newer lariat or above trim level to get the "Auto 4x4" option otherwise it will just be normal 4x4

Sorry for the long delay of response, I was on vacation and promised myself I wouldn't use the internet. Thank you for the reply and information.

How would I know if a model has a locking rear, is there a button to activate or is it auto when put into 4x4 low?

AlaskanEx 10-20-2017 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by jaygee15 (Post 17538512)
Sorry for the long delay of response, I was on vacation and promised myself I wouldn't use the internet. Thank you for the reply and information.

How would I know if a model has a locking rear, is there a button to activate or is it auto when put into 4x4 low?

On the 4x4 switch just to the left it will say "pull" and show a diagram of a locked rear end.