Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   2WD Spring Help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1511387-2wd-spring-help.html)

2PupTruck 10-11-2017 12:32 PM

2WD Spring Help

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...c0478cf2c2.gif
Hi folks, I don't come here often, hoping someone can help me with my 2WD Excursion, family vehicle, occasional towing. Has the factory tow package if that makes a difference.

I noticed the front coil springs were sagging, one side was a half inch lower than the other, and the top two coils were touching. Found an aftermarket set of heavy duty springs (by SD Springs?) and will be putting those on this weekend.

Since the whole truck looked low to me, I got under the rear. I have a six pack leaf spring with what appears to be an aftermarket helper? There is no snubber (was that 4wd only?) Anyway, biggest thing that struck me is that the rear leaf springs sit dead flat with the truck sitting empty, no payload. I would have thought that there should still be some bend in the spring, otherwise it would be bending the wrong way under load? Right? I've attached a picture, sorry, it is kinda large.

Just looking to see if I'm thinking straight and that the rear leaf springs are worn out as well as the front coils. Would plan to replace the leaf springs and the shackles, but want to know if I'm right that the springs should not sit flat like that.

It's a pretty old truck, rust is taking its toll underneath and I'm just trying to get it through another couple of Chicago winters getting my kids around safely. I found what look like reasonable replacement parts from General Spring online, unless anyone has any other recommendations. Not looking to lift the truck, just to get it back to factory ride (which wasn't great, I know). The rear end just slams all over the place right now.

Thanks,

Gavin.

Misky6.0 10-11-2017 01:08 PM

The 2wd sits low. That rear-helper spring is something I had on a prior vehicle - but the RAS (Roadmaster Active Suspension) is a better option (plus it helps put some arch back in the rear leaf springs).

I upgraded to F350 Y-coil springs up front and didn't see but 0.25-0.5 inches of extra "lift" and it settled a bit over a year or two, so not much point in thinking "new" springs will make a long-term difference.

2wd lift is tough due to front geometry, the ball-joints bind with 2" lift and the only kits available are 6" lift (which looks good, but it's still 2wd)

Compare your measurement between center of hub to fender lip to what other's post to get a sense of where you fit.. I posted by measurements here

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...50-y-code.html

pirate4x4_camo 10-11-2017 01:21 PM

The RWD ex rear spring had 6 leafs and no anti wrap bar, it is the same spring minus the anti wrap bar as the 4wd Ex, additional height for the 4wd comes from the block. Yes the springs are supposed to be "flat" by design.

The limitations on the stock excursions ride is that they only have 5" of travel and came equipped with very soft shock valving. (F250 has 8" of travel)

Hard to say without inspecting and driving your Ex but it sounds like it needs shocks in the back.

To check your springs for sag measure from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the fender arch.

A new stock RWD came from the factory with
Front 21
Rear 22

While the 4x4 was
Front 23
Rear 24

On your front coil springs, the stock spring rate was fine, you DO Not need Heavy Duty ( increased spring rate ) what you need is a High Quality spring that doesn't sag quickly. ( all springs sag, poor quality ones just sag quicker )
Fwiw. I would recomend Ford OEM replacement springs over some unknown import.

2PupTruck 10-11-2017 01:38 PM

Thanks guys. Great information.

Couple of pieces of information:

Shocks are not new, but newer..... I replaced with Bilstein HDs a few years ago, probably only 40k on them.

I don't intend to lift the truck any.

Ford no longer makes the front coils, show as NLA on the dealer system. Hence I found the aftermarket ones, if anyone has a better option I can easily return the heavy duty springs. I do not believe the ones I have ordered are imports, I thought it said Made in USA. I will check. I'm just trying to replace with something close given that mine are visibly bad, this seemed like a good option, and with the information I had, the capacity wasn't wildly different.

Only measurement I could find was from street to bottom of hitch and I am an inch low based on that number, but that seems like a strange way to measure, I'm more used to bottom of wheel to wheel arch (or center of hub like you gave). Thanks for the numbers, I'll check it out using those when I get home.

Thanks for confirmation of the springs being flat by design, I'm not used to that.

pirate4x4_camo 10-11-2017 02:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The problem with measuring from the ground is the tires may not be the same pressure or diameter.

Ford actually specs out the ride height measurment from the frame to the axle.

From my 2001 Factory service manual.

pirate4x4_camo 10-11-2017 02:15 PM

Note on your shocks..... Chicago potholes and a heavy Ex are no match for factory sized monotube shocks, even the good quality of Bilstein products are doomed to failure.

I'd pull the shocks off and check them. I almost guarantee you have at least 1 blown out one. Likely the passenger rear. }>

2PupTruck 10-11-2017 02:48 PM

Awesome, thank you.

Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo (Post 17520133)
The problem with measuring from the ground is the tires may not be the same pressure or diameter.

Ford actually specs out the ride height measurment from the frame to the axle.

From my 2001 Factory service manual.

2PupTruck 10-11-2017 02:54 PM

Possibly very true, lol. I'll check. I'm a BMW guy, so Bilstein was always my weapon of choice, but to be honest they've never been very good on the Excursion.

Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo (Post 17520145)
Note on your shocks..... Chicago potholes and a heavy Ex are no match for factory sized monotube shocks, even the good quality of Bilstein products are doomed to failure.

I'd pull the shocks off and check them. I almost guarantee you have at least 1 blown out one. Likely the passenger rear. }>

Misky6.0 10-11-2017 05:01 PM

Try your local Ford dealer, and get front springs for a superduty '99-'04, I got Y-code from an F-350 dually, and they fit fine, no noticeable stiffness change, not sure it's worth the effort. I would try bilsteen shocks for better rebound/bounce control BEFORE swapping coil springs. My rs9000 just don't offer enough bounce resistance.

Toreador_Diesel 10-12-2017 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Misky6.0 (Post 17520423)
Try your local Ford dealer, and get front springs for a superduty '99-'04, I got Y-code from an F-350 dually, and they fit fine, no noticeable stiffness change, not sure it's worth the effort. I would try bilsteen shocks for better rebound/bounce control BEFORE swapping coil springs. My rs9000 just don't offer enough bounce resistance.

Thanks for the heads up on this Steve, I ALMOST bit the bullet on these.

Misky6.0 10-12-2017 10:28 AM

Glad to help! Plus, I'm a couple months from starting the 2wd => 4wd winter conversion process, so no point in buying parts until I can get the '05+ 4WD compatible variety :-X06:-X03}>

pirate4x4_camo 10-12-2017 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Misky6.0 (Post 17520423)
My rs9000 just don't offer enough bounce resistance.

Then they are faulty ( likely the adjuster ) On the highest setting they are extremely stiff. Like knock your teeth out harsh with an unloaded vehicle.

The adjusters are known to get road grime, corrosion in them in wet salty environments. :-arrgh