Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Do I need a new gasket for this type of sending unit? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1510829-do-i-need-a-new-gasket-for-this-type-of-sending-unit.html)

jstihl 10-07-2017 11:06 AM

Do I need a new gasket for this type of sending unit?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...e32d82891c.jpg
Hey guys just was getting ready to do the hutch mod and found that my sending unit is different from all the pictures I have seen online. Instead of having the screw on donut ring I have bolts holding mine down. Just wanted to know if I need to pre-order a gasket before I start tearing everything down. My truck is a cab and Chassis so I'm assuming why it is different. Any tips on cutting steel fuel line? Were you guys able to get tubing Cutters on them? Here is a pic of my sending unit. Am I still going to be able to trim the tubes for the Harpoon mod with this sending unit?

Walleye Hunter 10-07-2017 11:40 AM

Unless I am mistaken what you have there is a steel fuel tank and a different animal than what we have. Where are you fixing to cut the fuel line? Steel tanks have a de-lamination problem where the coating on the inside of the tank flakes off and causes problems. It has been discussed that the Racor screen filter will solve that for you but you'll need to keep an eye on it and keep it clean.

Edit: And if I was doing it I would get a new gasket if it's available.

jstihl 10-07-2017 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter (Post 17511080)
Unless I am mistaken what you have there is a steel fuel tank and a different animal than what we have. Where are you fixing to cut the fuel line? Steel tanks have a de-lamination problem where the coating on the inside of the tank flakes off and causes problems. It has been discussed that the Racor screen filter will solve that for you but you'll need to keep an eye on it and keep it clean.

Edit: And if I was doing it I would get a new gasket if it's available.

i am doing the hutch mod. i was told that the delamination was only on certain steel tanks . not sure if mine has it or not. is this the same sending unit? same procedure for hutch mod? was going to cut the steel return fuel line at the frame and run fuel injection hose with clamps to the fitting on the tank. from what i read the fuel connections on the tank can let air into the lines. should i leave the return alone and just replace the other line to the fuel pump?

Walleye Hunter 10-07-2017 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by jstihl (Post 17511095)
i am doing the hutch mod. i was told that the delamination was only on certain steel tanks . not sure if mine has it or not. is this the same sending unit? same procedure for hutch mod? was going to cut the steel return fuel line at the frame and run fuel injection hose with clamps to the fitting on the tank. from what i read the fuel connections on the tank can let air into the lines. should i leave the return alone and just replace the other line to the fuel pump?

You could leave the return line alone, that shouldn't be a problem. If possible it's always best to cut tubing with a tubing cutter, otherwise a hacksaw can be used. I don't know what steel tanks are/were good and which are not but I have read where someone paid an obscene amount of money for a new tank only to have it fail too.

jstihl 10-07-2017 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter (Post 17511130)
You could leave the return line alone, that shouldn't be a problem. If possible it's always best to cut tubing with a tubing cutter, otherwise a hacksaw can be used. I don't know what steel tanks are/were good and which are not but I have read where someone paid an obscene amount of money for a new tank only to have it fail too.

My fuel pump is all the way under driver door, so do you guys think it would be ok to just replace the small section of rubber hose that goes from the tank to the frame rail where it turns back to steel line, and put the wix filter in the middle of the rubber hose? its a loooooong ways from tank to fuel pump and i don't have nearly enough fuel injection hose

Walleye Hunter 10-07-2017 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by jstihl (Post 17511173)
My fuel pump is all the way under driver door, so do you guys think it would be ok to just replace the small section of rubber hose that goes from the tank to the frame rail where it turns back to steel line, and put the wix filter in the middle of the rubber hose? its a loooooong ways from tank to fuel pump and i don't have nearly enough fuel injection hose

To me that sounds like a good plan but someone else might feel differently for reasons I'm not aware of.

jstihl 10-08-2017 08:11 AM

Has anyone done the hutch mod with a steel tank?

HD Rider 10-08-2017 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by jstihl (Post 17511173)

That's exactly what I did. I also replaced the short section by the fuel pump to get rid of the factory quick connects. I left the return line alone.

jstihl 10-08-2017 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by HD Rider (Post 17512607)
That's exactly what I did. I also replaced the short section by the fuel pump to get rid of the factory quick connects. I left the return line alone.

thanks hd rider, did you have the steel tank as well? Did you replace the gasket?

HD Rider 10-08-2017 11:57 AM

No. Mine was a plastic tank. I would replace the gasket on a steel tank. If you can't find one, you can make it out of cork gasket material.

petrokiller 10-08-2017 02:49 PM

Maybe you can look up sending units on O'Reilly's or other site for F450 compared to F250.
May can determine if the units are different.

I left my return and factory connection factory at the tank. Only changed the rubber to my pump to use the wix filter.

My truck has plastic tank.

jstihl 10-08-2017 07:48 PM

deleting post for wrong information. according to oreillys a cab and chasis sending unit for a 7.3 has a fuel pump attached to it , but after contacting 2 ford dealerships they confirmed that this information is wrong. sorry for any confusion, when in doubt always contact a dealer. Glad i still get to do the hutch mod though:-jammin looking forward to a smooth idle at last:-X04

Sous 10-09-2017 08:41 AM

That is no good... At least you were able to document what was happening so that it may help someone else in a similar situation later.

jstihl 10-09-2017 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sous (Post 17514628)
That is no good... At least you were able to document what was happening so that it may help someone else in a similar situation later.

Hey sous, just wanted to let you know that oriellys gave me the wrong information on my cab and chasis sending unit. mine is indeed the same as the rest, after contacting 2 ford dealerships today. just didn't want anyone to pass on the wrong info. i will only call the dealership from now on:-X19. ordered a new gasket from ford and looking forward to seeing how she runs after the mod this weekend

Sous 10-10-2017 07:57 AM

A parts store gave you the wrong information... That never happens!

Hopefully you will notice a difference right away as I did.