Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   2014 Rotors Turned? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1510081-2014-rotors-turned.html)

Razkid 10-01-2017 09:03 PM

2014 Rotors Turned?

On a 2014 F150 6 lug, can the rear rotors be turned if the grooves aren't too deep or are they throw aways, like a lot of other vehicles made today, because they are made too thin to ever be turned?

seventyseven250 10-01-2017 09:21 PM

I don't know if they "can" be turned but around here so few shops will even attempt to turn rotors that it's cheaper to replace them no matter how much thickness is left.

artscott61 10-01-2017 09:40 PM

Most tire shops will check the thickness left and go from there.On my little throw away hhr I turn about 2 maybe 3 times than buy new. Just bought a pair of new and will be the last time since I am going to retire it when I retire in a couple years.

rbentnail 10-03-2017 08:35 AM

I get rotors turned all the time. My local O'Reilly's does it provided it's not below the minimum when brought in. What I do: buy a replacement set, replace and have turned. That way, for me, there's no reason to not do it. I do the fronts every 20-25,000 miles and the rears at thrice that. Really helps with the front tire wear.

Razkid 10-03-2017 03:07 PM

Thanks for the replies. I bought the truck and the dealer turned the rotors and replaced the pads. I hope the minimum thickness is stamped on the rotors so I can check them when I bring it home. Does anyone know the minimum thicknessof these rotors?

rbentnail 10-04-2017 11:22 AM

IIRC the fronts are 32mm, I'd guess the rears are the same but I don't remember. The minimum is cast into the front rotor so again, I'd assume the rear would be cast in too.

I mentioned earlier that I do the fronts at 20-25K miles. Seems excessive to some but my '01, my '10 and now my '13 all start to get a little tickticktick I can feel in the steering wheel when I step on the brake at around that mileage. In the beginning it drove me nuts until the slight shimmy started and I realized what it was. This is likely why your rotors were turned, so just be aware that it'll need to be done. It's also why I just buy the auto store brand instead of the heavy-duty (read 'expensive') rotors.

Razkid 10-10-2017 06:51 PM

Thanks for the reply rbentnail. The truck needed rear pads so I told the dealer I wanted the rotors turned, if possible, or replaced when replacing the pads. I still haven't had a chance to measure them, but soon!

tseekins 10-12-2017 05:49 AM

Funny that this topic comes up now. I just had a Virginia state inspection done on my 2004 Expedition. The truck failed due to the front rotors being too thin. The truck has 115K miles on it and I expressed that the rotors have never been touched, never needed turning.

Well, the rotors were replaced as well as the pads. I've never experienced this before. When I do my brake job on my 2011 truck this November, the front rotors will be replaced, I ain't messing with them as they were turned under warranty at 25K miles. I'm now at 78K miles on the OE brakes.

AlaskanEx 10-12-2017 08:40 AM

I've never had good luck with turning rotors, the warp seems to come back worse and faster. That being said your driving style will determine how long brakes last. I typically run though pads in 30k or so. Daily stop and go traffic with plenty of hill and mountain driving.

My f150 I put drilled and slotted rotors on the front with new pads about 38k and the front pads were very close to being gone with a warped feeling when stopping. I have not touched the rear yet at 54k, but checked them the other night and the pads need to be replaced and I will do it in a week or two when I swap over to winter tires and wheels.

unibody62 10-13-2017 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by AlaskanEx (Post 17521645)
I've never had good luck with turning rotors, the warp seems to come back worse and faster. That being said your driving style will determine how long brakes last. I typically run though pads in 30k or so. Daily stop and go traffic with plenty of hill and mountain driving.

I agree, that turning factory rotors is just a waste of money in the long run. I had mine turned under warranty at maybe 29,000 miles. Warp came back within the year and I don’t drive hard or tow. Mostly around town driving. When I needed new pads last year, I bought new front rotors. I bought a better quality product that has a higher carbon content, but didn’t cost a whole lot more. I didn’t think I needed to go the route of drilled and slotted, they can get pretty pricey. I used these rotors on my car and had good success with them. The car gets driven much harder, too.