Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2015 - 2020 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum276/)
-   -   2016F150XLT (<1yr) LOUD undercarriage rattle (pt2: 6 sound files) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1509495-2016f150xlt-1yr-loud-undercarriage-rattle-pt2-6-sound-files.html)

CFDer01 09-27-2017 03:04 PM

2016F150XLT (<1yr) LOUD undercarriage rattle (pt2: 6 sound files)

6 Attachment(s)
Rattle is totally random on <16K new F150 truck. Hard to recreate, loud when it happens (~2-5 second).
Happens within 2 miles after prolonged parking (overnight/work).
6 sound files recorded with cell phone attached below.
I (and the dealership techs) have looked under the truck, no apparent loose parts, sounds seems internal to engine/transmission.
Was already in service for a week, no luck. Will take it in one more time to dealership that sold it, and a second time to a dealership nearby.
If not solved after that, I'm thinking about opening a lemon case with Ford.
Advice on noise source/how to proceed welcome.
More details in the thread "2016 F150 XLT (< 1 yr old) rattle in undercarriage"
Peace and Thanks,
CFDer01

3greezy 10-17-2017 06:09 AM

Good Morning CFDer01,

I am new to the forum due to this same issue. I have a 2017 XLT 3.5 Eco. your audio files represent the exact noise my truck is creating during the same time.

did you/dealer ever figure out the issue? any advice would be much appreciated!

thanks

jd50i 10-17-2017 06:38 AM

Sounds like the same noise on my Dad's RAM, turned out to be a deflector plate on the driveshaft where it went into the rear end, the tack welds had broke.

CFDer01 11-25-2017 02:21 AM

I didn't check this thread for a long time because I thought nobody would answer ... thank you jd50 and 3greezy for you comments.

I spoke with the manager at the second dealership that kept the truck for a week. They went over the recording with other techs but could not recreate the noise. They drove it out morning/evening for a week but it was quiet. They also took a good look at the front hub.

The service manager over there told me he thinks it's something to do with a vacuum leak in the 4x4 system .... it got a little to technical for me to understand. The weird thing is that since that service, the noise has been quiet. It has previously been active for 2 months, then quiet for 4, then again active for 2 regardless of my using 4x4.

The 2 bottom lines that I got was:

1. Until they recreate it, they can only guess at the cause.

2. The service manager of the dealership that sold me the truck and the 2nd dealership that did a 2nd check both told me to start a case with the Ford hotline. They said they would recommend extending the warranty for a couple of years ... that's all they could do.

Note that another thread has appeared: "2016 front end vibration and noise" where they report the similar symptoms with their truck. I may post there and direct them to these recordings.

3greezy hope you get this message .....

Thx,
CFDer01

Grdsman2025 12-04-2017 03:42 PM

I'm putting my money on a vacuum leak....most likely your check valve right before your IWE solenoid.
Mike

CFDer01 12-07-2017 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Grdsman2025 (Post 17633350)
I'm putting my money on a vacuum leak....most likely your check valve right before your IWE solenoid.
Mike

Grdsman, thx for a specific pointer. I'll discuss it with the service manager at the dealership and see what he says. Unfortunately I just drive the thing and do routine maintenance but don't know much of the engineering of the wheel/suspension elements. Thanks again.

Terryd91 12-07-2017 09:27 AM

yeah it sounds like the IWE partially engaging. Mind did it, but it was every time you stepped on the gas.