Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   WVO conversion assistance (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1509421-wvo-conversion-assistance.html)

AK_jason 09-27-2017 01:27 AM

WVO conversion assistance

First, although I have spent countless hours searching and reading information on forums, this is my first post on any forum, ever.

I recently decided to convert my 2002 F250 to run WVO and found some of the best information and designs at this site, most notably from SkySkiJason. I truly would not have been able to make it as far as I have without the information that Jason has shared. If you happen to read this Jason, thank you!!

My system is essential identical to the system Jason builds and I’m at a point now of needing to tap into the existing electrical system to power my switches and gauges. I would like to use the power to the diesel pump so I can switch the diesel pump off and on as needed and to take advantage of the inertia switch safety feature. My question is, which wire am I looking for, how do I identify it, and does somebody maybe have a picture of it? I'm guessing the ~12ga, pink/black wire that feeds directly to the pump is not the one I want.

My next question may be a bit premature as I have only just begun preliminary testing, but thought I would ask anyways. The pickup was parked and at an idle when I ran a jumper wire to the purge valve. The valve worked, but almost instantly the fuel pressure dropped to near zero and I could hear the engine starving for fuel. A couple of possibilities may be causing this. 1) Being at an idle, there was little demand on the fuel system. However there is little difference in pressure when at an idle vs. with a load. 2) I originally intended to run a 5/16” return line, but because I ended up needing a 90deg fitting off the purge valve and the only 90 I had was a 3/8”, 3/8” return it was. Could it be that the 3/8” is so large that when the purge is opened, all the diesel is dumped into the return… starving the engine?

timmyboy76 10-24-2017 05:39 AM

Welcome to the greasy side of things...i created my own DIY system back in 4/12', and just removed it in 2016. Put 125k on her, trouble free..... Anywho, I removed the power wire at the d2 pump and ran it to a switch in the cab, then back to pump.
As for the purge, yes, your correct. Once opened, there's no resistance to anything(fluid) and what your heading is normal. My "return" was 1/4", and sounded just like what your describing. Look at it like this, now you know what the motor sounds like if ever forget to flip d2 or close the purge😁

AK_jason 11-25-2017 08:35 PM

Hi timmyboy76. Thank you for your feedback. I was actually so eager to get the system running that the day after posting, I got the pickup back on the road running on the grease. I now have a few thousand miles on it and it’s been running perfect… and I’ve been loving every mile!

Instead of tying into the d2 power side, I ended up putting in an add-a-circuit in the fuse box and increasing the veg oil pressure and used this pressure differential to control the d2/oil. I’m only considering this temporary, or at least until I get the wiring figured out and the weather is a little better… I’m kind of done laying in the rain and snow for now.

The purge issue, I think, ended up being a combination of low pressure and air in the system. Once I was able to do some real driving and got the air out of the system, I never heard the noise again. Good to know it’s kind of normal though… I won’t panic if I hear it in the future.

I’m curious why, with 125k trouble free miles, would you remove your system? I’m actually considering another 7.3l for my wife and possibly other uses for WVO around the house.

timmyboy76 12-03-2017 09:58 PM

THEE only reason was do to the fact, I couldn't take the parking lot, which everyone calls a freeway. Was playing havoc on my already skewed sanity. Having v you get the daughter going at 4:30am, to be on the freeway by 5;30am, so we were not late to school 35 miles away by 7:30, fur 6yrs, finally had a toll. Mail in the coffin was 6hrs to get to school...from there(Oct 2015) put the home on market. Sold it jan/16, and moved 1.8 miles from her school👍... Trust me bud, miss everything about the system, picking up oil, filtering it...24hr job and LOVED IT! Thinking of building another, just to have for vacation purposes and going to/from river(bought home there)..