Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Oil change interval (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1509289-oil-change-interval.html)

96DRW 09-26-2017 07:11 AM

Oil change interval

I bought a new F250 6.2L in 6/2016 and did the first oil change in 8/2016 at 3K. The truck currently has 6K on it. I obviously don't put a lot of miles on the truck so I was wondering how often I should change the oil - go by elapsed time or mileage? If I change at say, 5K intervals, it will likely be over a year between oil changes. Thoughts? Thanks

seville009 09-26-2017 07:39 AM

I have a plow truck that only gets about 3,000 miles on it a year; I change the oil annually though.

My daily driver truck gets changed every 6-7,000 miles or so

use synthetic in both.

Doesn't cost much, so why not.

Machrism 09-26-2017 07:45 AM

I'd change it every six months at least.

Chuck-B 09-26-2017 09:19 AM

I would like to add that you should shoot a sample to Blackstone for analysis. They'll tell you if your change interval is ok and how close your oil is to expectations for various chemicals they find in your oil

jimmyv13 09-26-2017 09:32 AM

I used to send oil in for analysis when I had my 6.0 (for OBVIOUS reasons), but I didn't know if the gas engine sheared oil like the diesel.

Mike1 09-26-2017 10:37 AM

Here's my take on the oil changes. When I had my plow truck, I changed oil 1 time a year because I'd only put between 1500 - 2500 on it, BUT, oil changes should be done dependent on what type of climate you live in and how hard the truck is used during those low mile runs. If your hauling or pulling MAX loads, if your area of the country has high humidity for long periods of time or even if your days are really hot and nights cold, all this has to do with condensate getting into the oil in the pan and being circulated through the engine, sure it burns off but sitting long periods of time can take it's toll on machined parts inside the engine. On my Harley, I change the synthetic oil out every 3000 miles, when it's time for winter storage, I change the oil with a cheaper semi synthetic, I'll start it a couple of times over the winter, but not ride it, then in the spring I drop the "Storage Oil" flush the motor with a QT of Full synthetic, then do a full oil change. It's worked well and the bike is 17 years old 65,000 miles on it and doesn't use any oil between changes.

Im50fast 09-26-2017 12:03 PM

I change mine about every 10-15,000 whether it needs it or not. According to my current oil-change-sticker, I'm currently 9,500 miles overdue.
:-X05

seriously - it's a highway baby that gets about 700+ miles every week. And it disappears a quart every thousand, so since I'm adding oil a couple times per month it keeps the oil clean. I'm basically changing 1/6th of my oil every 10 days. And 2/6th's when I wait too long. Two-sixths is 33% of my engine oil being new every month.

And I'm in central Florida so we don't see as much climate variety as the rest of you may experience.

RV_Tech 09-26-2017 12:51 PM

I go by the owner's manual.

Steve

JamesHic 09-26-2017 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck-B (Post 17487292)
I would like to add that you should shoot a sample to Blackstone for analysis. They'll tell you if your change interval is ok and how close your oil is to expectations for various chemicals they find in your oil

I have a co-worker with a 6.0 and put a Amsoil by pass filter on it. He uses Royal Purple and swears by it. He sends his sample to Blackstone as well.
I'm new to all this, just bought a 6.7 with 58K miles on it. Not sure if all that's necessary but couldn't hurt.

mattymax 09-26-2017 02:43 PM

You're gonna get a hundred different answers on this. "Well my shop said" "well my uncle said"
Change it whenever you want. I have my plow/landscaping truck that gets used spareingly. Maybe 2500-3000 miles a year. I change it at the 6 month mark with Mobil 1 Synthetic religiously on the 6 month mark. The truck gets short trips and sits a lot. A lot of people don't factor in TIME.
5 qts = 23$ Wally World
$5 for the filter
So it's really under $100 a year to do oil changes

matt

fire240 09-26-2017 03:31 PM

I go by the owners manual and the oil change sticker the dealer sticks on.

speakerfritz 09-26-2017 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 96DRW (Post 17486949)
I bought a new F250 6.2L in 6/2016 and did the first oil change in 8/2016 at 3K. The truck currently has 6K on it. I obviously don't put a lot of miles on the truck so I was wondering how often I should change the oil - go by elapsed time or mileage? If I change at say, 5K intervals, it will likely be over a year between oil changes. Thoughts? Thanks

You have to consider idle in traffic time if you are in a metro area. Some ford service guides put you in a severe duty schedule if idle time is high.

also, short trips are a negative while long trips are better due to cooking off of fuel and water in the oil so if you frequent the Home Depot vs taking ng long trips, again, another reason to understand severe duty schedule.

dirthawg 09-26-2017 08:25 PM

Anyone have any hard scientific facts as proof to back up the claims that oil sitting in an oil pan with little to no use will deteriorate or draw moisture that could cause rust or engine damage?

I have a portable Honda Generator sitting in an unheated/cooled garage which can fluctuate between 110F with high humidity to 20F depending on the season, that has Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic oil in the crankcase. Last time I changed that oil was 2006. I start the generator once or twice a year just to make sure it starts and runs, drain the fuel every couple of years (I use only non-ethanol fuel) and that's it. Summer of 2016 our power went out and I ran that generator for 30hrs straight without shutting it down. If moisture was a concern that engine would of locked up after 30hrs of constant 3600rpm.

The moisture claim has got me curious. I might go pull the pan on the spare 16hp Kohler mower engine I have sitting in the shed that hasn't ran a drop of fuel in 10+ years that has a new oil and filter which I installed before placing it on the shelf. I live in a high humidity climate so if moisture is an issue I should see it.

I understand these are not automobile engines but machined steel is machined steel, and bearings are bearings, only difference would be they are smaller.

96DRW 09-26-2017 09:02 PM

Thanks for the thoughts. I haul a camper and 18' boat about 3-4 times in the summer; the rest of the time the truck is used for the Home Depot/dump run type of thing. I run it at least once a week. I'm leaning towards an annual oil change - easy to remember. :)

speakerfritz 09-27-2017 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by dirthawg (Post 17488679)
Anyone have any hard scientific facts as proof to back up the claims that oil sitting in an oil pan with little to no use will deteriorate or draw moisture that could cause rust or engine damage?

the moisture is not as a result of sitting.

its contamination (both fuel and water) that enters the oil from blow by.....if the oil is not allowed to reach operating temperature (short trips vs long trips)....the contamination (both fuel and water) will not boil off.

new oil in a motor , in a shed, not exposed to condensation factors, will not likely accumulate condensation.