Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1978 - 1996 Big Bronco (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum44/)
-   -   2.5 or 4" Lift Question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1508903-2-5-or-4-lift-question.html)

jtagge86 09-23-2017 10:55 AM

2.5 or 4" Lift Question

Hello everyone, looking for some input. Currently working on a 79 Bronco build and plan to evaluate the suspension soon. This will be a daily driver so I am not looking to compromise ride quality but I would like a nicer stance.

The question I have is 4" lift with 33x12.5 or 2.5" with 33x12.5? I would like to go 4" but I don't want to have too large a gap in the wheel wells. I am wondering if anyone has photos of their ride with either set up.

Thanks for the opinions!

Kemicalburns 09-26-2017 10:37 AM

I believe 33's will fit stock. I would look into deaver coils/springs for a soft plush ride. run some adjustable rancho's or some Bilstien shocks.

jtagge86 09-26-2017 11:56 AM

Thanks for the input, I like the idea of a lift but I don't want it to look out of balance. I guess I need to keep doing some research.

Kemicalburns 09-26-2017 12:19 PM

typically guys run a 4" lift with 33's and 6" lift with 35's. these are folks that occasionally wheel and need the fender room.

in your case going with no lift or minimal 2.5" lift and 33's would look sharp.

jtagge86 09-26-2017 12:46 PM

The more I think about it, I agree with you. The 2.5" with that size tire would have a nice stance. Thanks again.

rwilimo 11-09-2019 08:59 AM

I know this is not an apples to apples comparison but I have a 17 CC SB gas motor all stock, installed Fox 2.0's and they were way harder then stock, I did not like them at all, I called Fox who informed me that their shocks are valved for diesels do to their popularity. I send them to Fox for revalve and they are very nice now. I know you said your were revalved already but I wonder to what spec?

Coveredwagonoverland 11-26-2019 12:55 AM

It depends how much you wheel. I’ve run a 33 on a stock suspension with cut fenders and bumpers, it’s fine if you don’t off road a lot. It also depends on your budget, going to a 4inch cheap lift is not the same as going to a 4inch built lift. You may have increased axle wrap from different springs which requires new perches (drop another $400 there if you have no welding/drivetrain skill), you may have a drop bracket that creates too much tension on your frame and cracks it (drop another $400), etc. if you’re looking to keep it as cheap as possible and don’t wheel much and just looking for stance do a 2.5 with some quality shocks and 33s, it’ll look sick. If you’re looking for more lofted but don’t care about wheelin buy a cheap lift and don’t hit rocks at 30mph. But if you want to send it you’re gonna have to invest some money and make sure your suspension geometry isn’t only aligned but built of quality components that don’t just lift your truck. If reinforcs it, and for that you’re looking at dropping a few g’$.

btw a 2 inch lift with decent shocks greatly improves the ride quality, Broncos have an issue with uptravel factory because of the distance from axle to bumpstop and a few ways to remedy that on the cheap is run low psi in the tires and quality shocks, maybe smaller bump stops or if you’ve got the loot compression bump stops. I’d rather run a 2 inch kit with Kings or falcons than a 4 inch kit with Monroe equivalent.

SDDL-UP 12-08-2019 11:29 PM

With a 78/79 Bronco you should be able to run 33's easy with no lift. There are quite a few people running 35's with no lift and report no, or just minor rubbing on the radius arms at full wheel lock. Late years aren't so lucky.

I'll be running a 4" Wild Horses lift on my 78 and plan on 35" or 37" tires.