Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   My F250 won't trigger some traffic lights to turn green (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1507652-my-f250-wont-trigger-some-traffic-lights-to-turn-green.html)

thelonius 09-13-2017 11:47 AM

My F250 won't trigger some traffic lights to turn green

Anyone else observe this? There are at least two intersections near my house that will not trigger, even after I back up then pull forward again multiple times.

I know the traffic light sensors work fine because any other vehicle I'm in will trigger it immediately. What's the problem here? Aluminum?

2009kr 09-13-2017 12:17 PM

I can say for sure, it has nothing to do with the aluminum sheet metal.

If steel was necessary to trigger the sensor (which it isn't), your "aluminum" truck has 2x the steel of a small "steel" car.

DSLTRK60 09-13-2017 12:44 PM

It could very well be the aluminum body. Some lights use an inductive sensing loop in the pavement. Aluminum doesn't distort the e field as well as steel would.

Stroking along 09-13-2017 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2009kr (Post 17461349)
I can say for sure, it has nothing to do with the aluminum sheet metal.

If steel was necessary to trigger the sensor (which it isn't), your "aluminum" truck has 2x the steel of a small "steel" car.

Well let's hear it, what do you think triggers it?

2009kr 09-13-2017 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stroking along (Post 17461402)
Well let's hear it, what do you think triggers it?

As the previous poster said, they are usually an inductive loop. They will respond to any conductor that enters the field. Aluminum actually conducts better than steel and will be detected just fine. Most bicycles have enough metal to trip them.

Perhaps it's a small loop (you can usually see them) and your high and wide truck is straddling the sensor enough to not trip it. Could you try driving 1' to the right or left and report back?

fordmantpw 09-13-2017 01:37 PM

These trucks are also much higher off the ground than small cars, and that may have an effect as well.

jergle 09-13-2017 02:45 PM

I remember reading somewhere in the past that guys with big tires and jacked up trucks would sometimes hang a steel weight off the front bumper so it would be low enough to trigger the light. Might check some of the 4WD forums for more info.

SESWIM 09-13-2017 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by fordmantpw (Post 17461510)
These trucks are also much higher off the ground than small cars, and that may have an effect as well.

Yep. I have a JK that has trouble tripping lights. Height has a lot to do with it.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...psd26af66b.jpg

Sam

River Wild 09-13-2017 04:40 PM

It's not the truck. Could be any number of factors such as time of day and programming. Could be the loop detector is faulty in which case the signal will then go into a default timing mode where the other movements have priority. Call the City or whoever owns the signal and tell them there maybe an issue and any Public Works department worth their salt will check it out.

retiredandfree 09-13-2017 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by fordmantpw (Post 17461510)

Now I know what these are for, strictly function

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...6a6e9d8e63.jpg
;)

jaherbst 09-13-2017 06:21 PM

Inductive loops are old school. Most lights have a doppler/lazer overhead to detect traffic. No detection --the light does not change.

Jack

thelonius 09-13-2017 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by River Wild (Post 17461854)
It's not the truck. Could be any number of factors such as time of day and programming. Could be the loop detector is faulty in which case the signal will then go into a default timing mode where the other movements have priority. Call the City or whoever owns the signal and tell them there maybe an issue and any Public Works department worth their salt will check it out.

It absolutely has something to do with my truck.

As I previously stated, these are lights right by my house that I pass multiple times daily. The light will trigger immediately when I approach it in any other vehicle. I can also watch vehicles trigger it consistently from the front door of my condo. I've watched thousands of cars trigger that light and never seen anyone idle at a red light there more than 10 seconds.My truck is the only one I've observed to not trigger it.

thelonius 09-13-2017 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by 2009kr (Post 17461431)
As the previous poster said, they are usually an inductive loop. They will respond to any conductor that enters the field. Aluminum actually conducts better than steel and will be detected just fine. Most bicycles have enough metal to trip them.

Perhaps it's a small loop (you can usually see them) and your high and wide truck is straddling the sensor enough to not trip it. Could you try driving 1' to the right or left and report back?

You bet. I'll try it and report back. Thanks for the idea.

Tricon 09-13-2017 07:00 PM

You're just missing the field. Drive a little offset and you'll probably hit it, you might be able to rev your engine and set it off with the EM field from your alternators. I was able to do that at a local light like clockworks.

My sport bike pretty much never sets off inductive loops. Always sets off the lazer/lidar ones tho. I just wait the required 30 seconds and then run the light. Love that CA law.

thelonius 09-13-2017 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tricon (Post 17462077)
You're just missing the field. Drive a little offset and you'll probably hit it, you might be able to rev your engine and set it off with the EM field from your alternators. I was able to do that at a local light like clockworks.

My sport bike pretty much never sets off inductive loops. Always sets off the lazer/lidar ones tho. I just wait the required 30 seconds and then run the light. Love that CA law.

If I am missing the field, why does this phenomena occur with apparently only my truck?