Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   2011 6.7L Harvey high water NEXT STEPS (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1505698-2011-6-7l-harvey-high-water-next-steps.html)

golfgooroo 08-31-2017 08:07 AM

2011 6.7L Harvey high water NEXT STEPS

Many have lost it all and hope and pray they recover!

I was in my truck moving along a road (which has never seen water) as it was rising, and decided to not go any further.....put it in reverse and headed back the other way. I think by moving backwards and not staying on the high center of the road, the truck stalled and would not re-crank. The water at this point is just above the exhaust. I called for help, and help arrived in around 30 mins....during that 30 mins, the water rose to above the driverside floor board and in the air filter intake box. However, it was never cranked at this level. Towed home and now I'm trying to recover....and NOT LOSE MY TRUCK.

I've drained a sample of fuel, CLEAN.
engine, CLEAN,
Tranny fluid, CLEAN.
Air filter cleaned and dry.
Batteries recharged.

Looking for advice as to next step, at this point I'm ready to try to crank but I don't want that to be a fatal mistake.

Should I completely drain the fuel and start with fresh?
Should I disassemble any specific system before applying power to it?

Thanks for your help!

djousma 08-31-2017 08:46 AM

Not engine related, but there are axle vents on both front and rear axles. You may want to crawl under there to see how up the vents are compared to how high the water was.

Its unlikely that water got into your fuel system, so maybe key on, no start, and pull any codes that may have gotten set? If there are any of those, review and react accordingly?

Chad149 08-31-2017 08:49 AM

Next thing i would do is put a ratchet on the crank and turn the motor over by hand. Make sure there are no "tight spots". My concern is water ingestion was the cause of the stall. If it's not turning by hand the way it should pull the glow plugs and try again. :-X16

Chad149 08-31-2017 08:52 AM

I would drop the tank and verify no water once i feel the engine is ready. Venting on diesel tanks is not sealed up like the gas engines, since diesels don't have evaporative control systems.:-X18

graysonp 08-31-2017 09:32 AM

I bought my truck from an insurance auction after it was "totaled" from the LA floods last year. These trucks are pretty resilient and as long as you don't suck water into the engine, they will run.

You were there to see the water level, so I think as long as you're confident there's no water in the fuel, intake, or anywhere that would pull water into the engine, you're probably safe to crank it.

I would recommend checking/changing the fluid in the axles and transfer case before putting many miles on it. Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of flood trucks get water in the starter and it ruins them so a new starter may be in order. However, your truck hasn't been sitting in an insurance lot for months so you might be ok.

golfgooroo 08-31-2017 03:43 PM

So I got the batteries charged back up, and re-installed to put the truck in Neutral to tow it in the shop to take a closer look, spin the crankshaft, etc.

Hook up batteries, an initial flurry of sounds hazards lights, wipers, and then NOTHING.

First step is to get it into neutral, any tips to get it from Park to neutral with no power?

To address the electrical issues, is there somewhere I should start before pulling individual fuses?

Thanks for the help!!

my_crib_too 08-31-2017 03:51 PM

The good people of Texas should be proud of the way that they have handled themselves during this disaster. No help for your problem, sorry, but a thought that I wanted to share about Texas.

Bruce...

Braggs 08-31-2017 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by golfgooroo (Post 17434212)

First step is to get it into neutral, any tips to get it from Park to neutral with no power?

There's usually a way to override the shifter lock. It could take several forms (like a small cap, a button, or a key lock). Here's an article on that topic with a few sample diagrams about what they might look like.

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - How To Release A Shifter Stuck In Park

senix 09-02-2017 07:59 AM

I would also consider shining a light as far down the throttle body you can and look for evidence of water ingestion.

You may want to consider an insurance claim at this point. It probably needs a starter, new modules and stuff.

golfgooroo 09-02-2017 01:39 PM

Senix, I definitely agree. I made the call to insurance this morning. My first claim in 25 years of driving....not a good feeling.

Truck update, after initial battery charge and hookup, nothing. After sitting for a day, I tried again and some of dash came on....I was able to get into Neutral to get into barn. Next step is to turn motor over by hand and go from there. Don't want to do much else until after adjuster takes a look.

So what should I be hopeful for. A complete total of truck, collect check, and potentially still repair? How much is it likely that they will offer for truck, is it straight blue book value?

keyspirate 09-02-2017 06:49 PM

Had great luck with insurance

Having lived through hurricane Wilma in the Keys insurance settlements were more than fair and settled very fast.

senix 09-02-2017 07:15 PM

know the value of the truck buy checking Kelly blue book or nada, know the amount you owe on it.

Also if you have done stuff like new tires or something, you want to have proof of that too.

Many things effect the value.

keyspirate 09-02-2017 11:28 PM

Insurance payments

You should get retail plus any add ons, sales tax and fees. That's what everyone got after Wilma and a check in less than 5 days.

Keabler 09-03-2017 10:09 PM

I know you have a ton on your mind, but when I washed my truck down a river (I was young), my dad and I spent a day disconnecting every piece of electronics and blowing them out thoroughly. The trick started with absolutely no residual effects, and the chronic problems with my check engine light even went away.
Hope that helps. Or prayers are with you and your fellow Texans!
Dave

golfgooroo 09-08-2017 12:49 PM

The claims adjuster has been by to look at the truck and stated that anytime the water is up to the dash, it is an "automatic" total so I still haven't heard the offer, but I'm ready to continue to self-assess the truck this weekend. Can anybody tell me the size wrench needed to turn the flywheel? Thanks!