Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Small Block V8 (221, 260, 289, 5.0/302, 5.8/351W) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum55/)
-   -   I gambled and maybe I (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1503670-i-gambled-and-maybe-i.html)

schoo 03-17-2019 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Tim Young (Post 18544230)
I think David is asking about the harmonic balancer, does it have a 0 degree mark at TDC and the degrees BTDC on one side and degrees ATDC on the other? It looks to me as though it just has the degrees BTDC and 0 degrees TDC.

yes all it has is 0 through 40* I think(my eyes are old see post 325 I said I didn't have a OBD and there it is) . No after top dead center markings, I made a blue arrow to indicate which set of timing marks to use when I was matching new balancer to the old balancer
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f9e8219e82.jpg
Started down I just felt it

Scndsin 03-17-2019 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tim Young (Post 18544230)
I think David is asking about the harmonic balancer, does it have a 0 degree mark at TDC and the degrees BTDC on one side and degrees ATDC on the other? It looks to me as though it just has the degrees BTDC and 0 degrees TDC.

Yes. I'm thinking I see nothing but degrees after TDC.

There are things called timing tape, but Henry Help Us, if you can find one for a sbf.

Scndsin 03-17-2019 12:54 PM

OK, my bad. Looked at a balancer on the shelf & yours shows before degrees & no after degrees.

The pointer lines up with the first zero mark when you find for sure TDC?

schoo 03-17-2019 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Scndsin (Post 18544983)
OK, my bad. Looked at a balancer on the shelf & yours shows before degrees & no after degrees.

The pointer lines up with the first zero mark when you find for sure TDC?

yes piston is at the top of stroke 0° on pointer, rotor at #1
the engine started on the third try of the key after assembly it has never been off by very much

Scndsin 03-17-2019 02:11 PM

Then you should be able to pull the spout, loosen the hold-down & get 10* (second 0, second red mark to the right)

Unless the cap is hitting something. The only other issue you might be having is that 8 inches of vacuum could be some heavy leak.

schoo 03-17-2019 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Scndsin (Post 18545097)
Then you should be able to pull the spout, loosen the hold-down & get 10* (second 0, second red mark to the right)

Unless the cap is hitting something. The only other issue you might be having is that 8 inches of vacuum could be some heavy leak.

yes about getting my nerve up here soon.
the only vac line I have doubts about is the egr from the solenoid to the unit will it run if pull that line

diggerrigger 03-18-2019 05:00 PM

You can disconnect the vacuum line at the EGR valve and plug it. It will have no effect for your purposes at this time.

8 inches of vacuum is way low. Vacuum that low would most commonly indicate a manifold leak. Is the PCV valved line made to the tapped opening on the the rear of the upper intake? I know this connection opening is out of sight, maybe out of mind.

schoo 03-18-2019 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by diggerrigger (Post 18547312)
You can disconnect the vacuum line at the EGR valve and plug it. It will have no effect for your purposes at this time.

8 inches of vacuum is way low. Vacuum that low would most commonly indicate a manifold leak. Is the PCV valved line made to the tapped opening on the the rear of the upper intake? I know this connection opening is out of sight, maybe out of mind.

yes PCV is there I’ll ck for vac leaks I used studs when I installed the manifolds

schoo 03-18-2019 06:29 PM

I drove it up to town twice today first time I tried it at 12°-15° I had to stop and advance it up to 20°+ just to get up the hills.

It it heats up to the fan comes when not moving but driving it cools down to 190 or so, when I turned it off I checked the thermostat housing with my gauge and it read 197 just after shutdown.

Tim Young 03-18-2019 07:06 PM

Well besides the motor, everything else is working ok?

I would like to see a photo of your truck!

Scndsin 03-18-2019 07:13 PM

197* is good. 20* I guess will have to be lived with for now.

Are your IAC, throttle body, gaskets new?

Are all the extra ports on the vaccume tree capped?

This thing doesn't have a power brake booster does it?

What intake to head gasket did you use?

schoo 03-18-2019 09:02 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...ea3e654d5.jpeg
Ford had the gas tank in the cab mine (Chevy van Fi tank)is in the rear behind the Chevy rear end, gas cap is jag

Originally Posted by Tim Young (Post 18547494)
Well besides the motor, everything else is working ok?

I would like to see a photo of your truck!

everything working ok? This is a hot rod made up from I’m counting 6or7 cars/trucks. Power steering for instance jaguar rack & pinion but the pump is ford E250 the pump is new when I built the engine but the rack seals are old and when I started up the engine I had a lot more pressure than the old pump( the old one worked great)so of course I blow the seals

schoo 03-18-2019 09:09 PM

There are lots of truck on FTE that are sooooo much better than this truck check out some of them on the 48-56 forums

schoo 03-18-2019 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Scndsin (Post 18547512)
197* is good. 20* I guess will have to be lived with for now.

Are your IAC, throttle body, gaskets new?

Are all the extra ports on the vaccume tree capped?

This thing doesn't have a power brake booster does it?

What intake to head gasket did you use?

Dave I am going to be checking vac system this week
gasket at throttle body is new
IAC was not messed with
The tree is caped where no hose are

ill check out the lower intake manifold also
yes I have a vac booster for brakes and I have had some trouble with brake fluid leaks at master (Chinese)

Tim Young 03-18-2019 11:38 PM

Thanks for the update!