Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread *** (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1503643-the-official-superduty-morning-coffee-thread.html)

empiretc 09-06-2017 10:06 AM

we are finally out of the 100s!!! mornings are actually in the 70s now instead of the 80s.

glow plugs???? we don't need no stinking glow plugs........lol

Have a good day all. Those of you in Florida, please be safe. Things here in TX really sucked and hope it doesn't get that bad over there.

F250_ 09-06-2017 10:18 AM

Key West is evacuating now. If the storm follows the predicted path, there are going to be a massive number of people affected throughout the state of Florida. If it tails off to the west, though, and enters the Gulf, Irma will be a wickidly HUGE problem wherever she eventually lands. My inlaws are all in Miami, but they have not yet decided whether or not to evacuate, and will probably wait too long to decide.

Hussler 09-06-2017 01:53 PM

Wish we had some rain or wind. Worse day ever for forest fires smoke. Can barely see the buildings across the street , like dense fog. Knew it was going to be bad today when opening the back door early this morning and it smelled like 100 campfires. These fires are a long way off but we live in kind-of a bowl so it just sits. Good news it might rain tomorrow, 80% chance .. hope .. hope.

Sous 09-06-2017 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by F250_ (Post 17445890)
Key West is evacuating now. If the storm follows the predicted path, there are going to be a massive number of people affected throughout the state of Florida. If it tails off to the west, though, and enters the Gulf, Irma will be a wickidly HUGE problem wherever she eventually lands. My inlaws are all in Miami, but they have not yet decided whether or not to evacuate, and will probably wait too long to decide.

Been talking to some friends with family in Puerto Rico. This is a big one, that is a for sure. I agree with you, the call to evacuate needs to come quick and early. As I am sure you know, it is a hard choice, not only risky but very emotional.

Sous 09-06-2017 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hussler (Post 17446290)
Wish we had some rain or wind. Worse day ever for forest fires smoke. Can barely see the buildings across the street , like dense fog. Knew it was going to be bad today when opening the back door early this morning and it smelled like 100 campfires. These fires are a long way off but we live in kind-of a bowl so it just sits. Good news it might rain tomorrow, 80% chance .. hope .. hope.

My wife is planning to travel up to WA from GA to see family. How badly does the heavy smoke effect vehicles in regards to air filters? Will she need to have someone check/replace the filter when she gets to where she is going before heading back home to GA?

F250_ 09-06-2017 03:23 PM

We went through several evacuations when we lived in Texas (a couple of tropical storms and then for Rita which was only one month after Katrina). The evacuation effort in Florida is going to be horrible with the projected path sweeping up the entire length of the state, and there is really no safe option for escaping east or west until you hit the panhandle... EVERYONE has to head north, and those corridors are getting ready to be jam packed for the length of the state

brian42 09-06-2017 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sous (Post 17446430)
My wife is planning to travel up to WA from GA to see family. How badly does the heavy smoke effect vehicles in regards to air filters? Will she need to have someone check/replace the filter when she gets to where she is going before heading back home to GA?

It depends on how much particulate (ash) is in the smoke and how much you drive in it (obviously the closer the fires are the more ash will be in the air).

We seem to get a major wave of fires every 4 years or so out here. 2003 and 2007 were by far the worst. Even after driving in those daily my filter never got too bad. I did a visual inspection every few days of heavy driving/commuting to make sure it wasn't getting too dark. Once the fires were contained and the air cleared up my OCD would kick in and I would change my air filter as a precautionary measure. Probably not needed but I thought the cost of a 6637 replacement far outweighed the potential of driving around with an air filter full of smoke.

Even if the smoke is limiting visibility (like Hussler mentioned above) her filter should be fine for the visit. Just check it when your wife gets back and make the call then. I've driven in thick smoke for over a week and my filter was still white-ish.

hydro man 17 09-06-2017 03:44 PM

SOUS, I don't have any scientific data to quote, but I believe that most smoke particles (not ash) are too small to be filtered out by a conventional air filter. I would think that a filter that "fine" would clog too easily.

brian42 09-06-2017 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by hydro man 17 (Post 17446508)
SOUS, I don't have any scientific data to quote, but I believe that most smoke particles (not ash) are too small to be filtered out by a conventional air filter. I would think that a filter that "fine" would clog too easily.

I agree that the smoke is fine enough to get through the filter. Sometimes the big block has to take one for the team. My filter did get grey but the filter minder never made it past the 1/2 way mark.

Glowplugger 09-06-2017 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sous (Post 17446426)
I agree with you, the call to evacuate needs to come quick and early.

I agree to a point here, but man if i was a Floridian I would have left last Sunday. If you wait till the call to evacuate you're just begging for trouble. That call is for the most retarded of people to finally get on the road and leave. It usually comes just as the water starts pouring.

Walleye Hunter 09-06-2017 04:36 PM

If I lived down there I would have some kind of super duty window shutters permanently mounted on my house. Maybe roll up steel at that and I'd have closed them and been long gone already.

Sous 09-06-2017 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by brian42 (Post 17446458)
It depends on how much particulate (ash) is in the smoke and how much you drive in it (obviously the closer the fires are the more ash will be in the air).

We seem to get a major wave of fires every 4 years or so out here. 2003 and 2007 were by far the worst. Even after driving in those daily my filter never got too bad. I did a visual inspection every few days of heavy driving/commuting to make sure it wasn't getting too dark. Once the fires were contained and the air cleared up my OCD would kick in and I would change my air filter as a precautionary measure. Probably not needed but I thought the cost of a 6637 replacement far outweighed the potential of driving around with an air filter full of smoke.

Even if the smoke is limiting visibility (like Hussler mentioned above) her filter should be fine for the visit. Just check it when your wife gets back and make the call then. I've driven in thick smoke for over a week and my filter was still white-ish.

Brian, thanks for the first hand experience advice. This makes me feel just a little better about sending her off to drive across the country. Sure will be boring around the house, but I am planning to get a lot of halfway done projects finished around the house.

Sous 09-06-2017 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Glowplugger (Post 17446579)
I agree to a point here, but man if i was a Floridian I would have left last Sunday. If you wait till the call to evacuate you're just begging for trouble. That call is for the most retarded of people to finally get on the road and leave. It usually comes just as the water starts pouring.

Here in north GA sometime people run to the stores to buy their "milk sandwiches" (read as milk and bread) because they like to freak out when they are not prepared. For example, when snow is predicted here in the Hartwell area, forget it... Everything closes.

I just went out and fired up my generator to let the fuel run through it a bit more and then run itself dry. Haven't done it in about 8 months or so, it is a good time to check the serviceability.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter (Post 17446614)
If I lived down there I would have some kind of super duty window shutters permanently mounted on my house. Maybe roll up steel at that and I'd have closed them and been long gone already.

Like in the Purge movies...

BBslider001 09-06-2017 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sous (Post 17446426)
Been talking to some friends with family in Puerto Rico. This is a big one, that is a for sure. I agree with you, the call to evacuate needs to come quick and early. As I am sure you know, it is a hard choice, not only risky but very emotional.

The weather guys just said this storm is bigger and badder than Andrew. Seriously guys, get out if you can!! Like now.

Wes444 09-07-2017 05:40 AM

52 this morning, what happened to fall? glow plugs are ready to go