Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   *** The Official Superduty Morning Coffee Thread *** (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1503643-the-official-superduty-morning-coffee-thread.html)

Wes444 05-07-2018 04:24 PM

Maybe we'll see you in Yellowstone in June :-wink

BBslider001 05-08-2018 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sous (Post 17970083)
May 25th is the time when I have a week consisting of 6 Saturdays and 1 Sunday. An old Senior NCO told me that one time many years ago and it stuck with me. Money will be tighter of course, but we are planning to make memories instead of money and collect experiences instead of things. Time will tell, but we are hoping that are leap of faith will be a good one.

We had already been talking about our distance limit after retirement, but driving 1000 miles in 48 hours solidified that we are going to limit ourselves to 200-250 miles a day maximum when traveling.

This is a good plan...see more, drive less. My wife and I learned that, but the kids sort of forced it. I am happy about it though. We started limiting our days to 500 miles when we travel to see friends or go to horse/stock shows. It makes it less stressful for everyone involved.

Originally Posted by Sous (Post 17970091)
Truck did much better towing this trailer than the 313RE, but considering it weighs 2000 lbs less right off the bat that was expected. My wife and I talked about "our" plan for injectors, turbos and the overall future of the truck. We have agreed that the T4/SXE path is the right choice for us and to stick with stock injectors for as long as possible. The current injectors could last another 100,000 miles for all we know. We believe that this is the right path for us and our goals for the truck.

The modified OEM turbo did well though and the truck never needed to be shifted out of 5th gear on the interstate due to lugging or slowing down. I don't go faster than 65 MPH cruising.

I sort of thought and learned the same thing when I was "upgrading". If I can pull a long grade at 65 mph, why do I need more? I do stuff for longevity and better performance anymore, not necessarily to be able to go faster, though sometimes that is a nice side effect. Those injectors probably have a lot of life left,so why not use them until they start acting up?

brian42 05-08-2018 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by BBslider001 (Post 17971184)
I sort of thought and learned the same thing when I was "upgrading". If I can pull a long grade at 65 mph, why do I need more? I do stuff for longevity and better performance anymore, not necessarily to be able to go faster, though sometimes that is a nice side effect. Those injectors probably have a lot of life left,so why not use them until they start acting up?

I second this. I had been dreaming of single shots for so long that I wasn't going to reconsider them. If I had not experienced them myself I would have always pined for them and never fully enjoyed the truck after not getting them. That being said...

I should have stuck with a set of 8 new ADs. With 310K on the clock now (4K on the 160/80s) they're great but every time I smell or hear something I think "is it me?" and "do I need to pull over and give the truck a once over just to be sure?".

We've all had the "I know you told me but I have to do it and won't be happy until then" moments. I've been to a few movies that I just had to see anyway no matter how bad others tell me it is. This time I just did a REALLY expensive version of that. Now that I've pulled the trigger and drove around for awhile I can second guess my decisions and do the forensic analysis. With a clear head I can say that I should have stuck with fresh ADs (would have felt like a performance upgrade). They would have lasted me until a rebuild then I could have beefed up the guts, put single shots in, and had a good time without worrying.

Do I love my 160/80 single shots...yes. Should I have waited...yes. The 20-year-old in me (that has wanted single shots for 5 years) spoke louder than the 50-year-old (that should have waited 10 more years) that I am.

Just my .02. YMMV.

Tugly 05-09-2018 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by brian42 (Post 17972534)
...I should have stuck with a set of 8 new ADs. With 310K on the clock now (4K on the 160/80s) they're great but every time I smell or hear something I think "is it me?" and "do I need to pull over and give the truck a once over just to be sure?".

I fretted for a while on my 160/100s, but then I just got used to them being more fickle than the ADs. I either have one intermittent injector in there, or one intermittent something in there - but it doesn't effect pulling power or fuel economy. So... I drive blithely on, ignoring the wolf cries and feeling all the better for it. Waiting for something you want to enjoy is for 20-year-olds, not for 50-year-olds who have earned the right to have what they want now. Another 10 years and you might not be in a position to enjoy a souped-up 7.3L, meaning it could be too late then.

I'm owning my decision. If I stuck with ADs, I would have regretted not getting more power. Now that I have big-nozzle ACs, I regret not having the rock-stable clean and quite of the ADs - but the permagrin factor launches the corners of my mouth in an upward trajectory.

Sous 05-09-2018 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bonanza35 (Post 17969807)
I forgot you weren't retired yet. I wouldn't of said what I said. Sorry, It's a nice set up. I'm looking to but for a used toy hauler in really good shape. I bring some of the grandkids toys to help my son. He has way to many toys with 4 kids. But we have a blast. Also I would like to carry a golf cart some times. He just took his trailer to the lake for 5 months and goes back and forth. It's nice there, but his trailer is way to big to tow across county. It's like 43 foot or more with flipped axles for the dunes also.

I should have been more clear.

I retired from active duty service on 1 May 2017 and started a civilian job in the same month. I am retiring from the civilian job on 25 May 2018 and we are going to try and live life to the fullest extent we can. Money will be tight, but time together and with loved ones will be much more common.

Sous 05-09-2018 06:41 AM

I second this. I had been dreaming of single shots for so long that I wasn't going to reconsider them. If I had not experienced them myself I would have always pined for them and never fully enjoyed the truck after not getting them. That being said...

I should have stuck with a set of 8 new ADs. With 310K on the clock now (4K on the 160/80s) they're great but every time I smell or hear something I think "is it me?" and "do I need to pull over and give the truck a once over just to be sure?".

We've all had the "I know you told me but I have to do it and won't be happy until then" moments. I've been to a few movies that I just had to see anyway no matter how bad others tell me it is. This time I just did a REALLY expensive version of that. Now that I've pulled the trigger and drove around for awhile I can second guess my decisions and do the forensic analysis. With a clear head I can say that I should have stuck with fresh ADs (would have felt like a performance upgrade). They would have lasted me until a rebuild then I could have beefed up the guts, put single shots in, and had a good time without worrying.

Do I love my 160/80 single shots...yes. Should I have waited...yes. The 20-year-old in me (that has wanted single shots for 5 years) spoke louder than the 50-year-old (that should have waited 10 more years) that I am.

Just my .02. YMMV.

Brian, this only solidifies my recent decision to keep the AD's Alliant until I need to refresh them and upgrade to the T4/SXE kit. Once I realized that my 250K mile stock injectors get the heavy towing job done just fine and that a T4/SXE kit would put me into the "getting it done better and more efficiently" category, I think that was the ah ha moment. I was seeking more power, fuel and more boost, while I should have been seeking efficiency and reliability in the system. By leaving the AD's in place until they are ready to be removed (who knows how much longer that will be, could be 100K miles from now) and then upgrade to the T4/SXE to obtain a 1:1 ratio on MAP:EBP I will be sitting very well and on the pin head of efficiency in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Tugly (Post 17973167)
I fretted for a while on my 160/100s, but then I just got used to them being more fickle than the ADs. I either have one intermittent injector in there, or one intermittent something in there - but it doesn't effect pulling power or fuel economy. So... I drive blithely on, ignoring the wolf cries and feeling all the better for it. Waiting for something you want to enjoy is for 20-year-olds, not for 50-year-olds who have earned the right to have what they want now. Another 10 years and you might not be in a position to enjoy a souped-up 7.3L, meaning it could be too late then.

I'm owning my decision. If I stuck with ADs, I would have regretted not getting more power. Now that I have big-nozzle ACs, I regret not having the rock-stable clean and quite of the ADs - but the permagrin factor launches the corners of my mouth in an upward trajectory.

I had a 1997 Supercharged Pontiac Grand Prix that I bought brand new as a young Airman. I spent some much time and money on that car and in the end it was undrive-able without tinkering with something first. It was a blast to drive, but it always needed attention. I told myself that was the last time I would do that, and it has been.

I know that even 160/0's would be a safe bet, but I think that 140/0's (stock AD injectors) will get me to where my goals are for the truck. Then, if I have a problem with anything in the way of tuning I can simply remove the chip or swap out the PCM and go from there. Hopefully that will never happen, but that is my thought process.

You fellas posting up about your thoughts, experiences and opinions are what makes this forum a rare occurrence in the modern world. Thank you for taking time out of your day to help all of us learn from your experiences.

Stewart_H 05-09-2018 11:30 AM

I had been dreaming of single shots for so long that I wasn't going to reconsider them. If I had not experienced them myself I would have always pined for them and never fully enjoyed the truck after not getting them. That being said...

We've all had the "I know you told me but I have to do it and won't be happy until then" moments. I've been to a few movies that I just had to see anyway no matter how bad others tell me it is. This time I just did a REALLY expensive version of that. Now that I've pulled the trigger and drove around for awhile I can second guess my decisions and do the forensic analysis. With a clear head I can say that I should have stuck with fresh ADs (would have felt like a performance upgrade).

Just my .02. YMMV.

For me, it's the opposite. I'm more in the similar mindset as Tugly.

I have stock Alliant 160's from Ford in my old '02 F250 and that thing is a blast to drive. Rock solid in every aspect, whether daily driving, racing at NHRDA events, or pulling our 10k travel trailer or my 10k dump trailer.

My Excursion on the other hand has stock injectors with only a tune, and every single time I am in that truck, whether as a driver or passenger, I wish it has 160 singles in it. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

My old '99 F250 has a set of one-off single shots from Full Force and that beast with a 6" lift and 37's will pull like an assaulted gorilla running through the jungle.

I do not miss stock injectors in the upgraded trucks, and I want to put singles in the Excursion too, I just gotta do it when the wife isn't looking because it's her daily driver and she loves it the way it is. ;)

Stewart

Stewart_H 05-09-2018 01:00 PM

Hey all, check out the NEW sticky thread that has been posted regarding items for sale! ;)

Stewart

BBslider001 05-09-2018 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 17974017)
Hey all, check out the NEW sticky thread that has been posted regarding items for sale! ;)

Stewart

Ok, fine, ya got me...LOL

Sous 05-09-2018 04:22 PM

Thanks for adding that for us Stewart, it does make shopping for miscellaneous stuff a bit easier.

Stewart_H 05-09-2018 04:58 PM

Don't tell anyone, but I've been meaning to do that for a couple years, I just kept forgetting. :eek:

Stewart :-banghead

brian42 05-09-2018 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tugly (Post 17973167)

Originally Posted by Sous (Post 17973195)
Brian, this only solidifies my recent decision to keep the AD's Alliant until I need to refresh them and upgrade to the T4/SXE kit. Once I realized that my 250K mile stock injectors get the heavy towing job done just fine and that a T4/SXE kit would put me into the "getting it done better and more efficiently" category, I think that was the ah ha moment. I was seeking more power, fuel and more boost, while I should have been seeking efficiency and reliability in the system. By leaving the AD's in place until they are ready to be removed (who knows how much longer that will be, could be 100K miles from now) and then upgrade to the T4/SXE to obtain a 1:1 ratio on MAP:EBP I will be sitting very well and on the pin head of efficiency in my opinion.

I know that even 160/0's would be a safe bet, but I think that 140/0's (stock AD injectors) will get me to where my goals are for the truck. Then, if I have a problem with anything in the way of tuning I can simply remove the chip or swap out the PCM and go from there. Hopefully that will never happen, but that is my thought process.

You fellas posting up about your thoughts, experiences and opinions are what makes this forum a rare occurrence in the modern world. Thank you for taking time out of your day to help all of us learn from your experiences.

I'm sure in a year or two I'll settle down and not be so much of a Nervous Nelly. Unfortunately that will take time and money. I've not been too harsh on the go pedal as I need a driveline refresh (still on the original u-joints and carrier bearing) and I have a stock 4R100 with almost 170K miles on it. I've got traction bars and new rear leafs waiting in the garage to go in so that will add peace of mind that I won't snap or pretzel anything in the future. Once I eventually get the tranny beefed up I can stop worrying about the slushbox. Even though John Wood is 2 hours from me an HD4R100 is currently at the top of my list. Having warranty work done at a Ford dealership (I'm within 20 miles of three) is just too convenient.

My power options are very limited in CA if I want to pass smog. A T4 would be great but not an option. Mechanical wastegate controller: works great, passed last time, had to go back to stock-ish to pass this time (red/green lines, solenoid, diaphragm actuator, AND the lines hooked up). Stations continue to get trained on older diesels and key in on more stuff each time. I also learned that shops need a minimum number of fails to keep their license.

I've tried to mitigate some of the variables out of the transition to make sure I make good power (permagrin), pass smog, and still have some longevity. Hopefully my research yields some good results. I'm getting used to the single shots and am developing a comfortable driving style that the truck and I both like.

ZachinCO 05-10-2018 11:14 AM

Spring is in the air in Colorado! Any other turkey hunters out there?

Filled my Spring tag last night.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...60922208ff.jpg

Sous 05-10-2018 12:49 PM

Not a hunter, but a little while back there were 60+ turkeys (I lost count) walking by the window I was sitting next to at our home.

Walleye Hunter 05-10-2018 01:05 PM

Are those wild turkeys as good as a good Shady Brook turkey?