Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2017+ Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/)
-   -   Long box resale? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1503172-long-box-resale.html)

Ricohman 08-12-2017 10:11 PM

Long box resale?

I am seriously thinking of going back to a long box truck. Seeing as I want to use it for a truck camper in the future I may even buy a dually. I don't live in the city and when I have to go there we use the wife's Pilot or my Focus.
I rarely see the long box on the lots. Would I have trouble reselling a long box when the time comes?
For my needs a long box makes mores sense. I can haul more when camping. I can easily carry a couple of moose, and I can use a real truck camper. When I was a kid, a short box on the prairies was a rare thing.
Anyone else thinking of a long box?

MadeInDade 08-13-2017 12:50 AM

This is the biggest option, I can't decide on myself. I don't need a long box, but it would be nice to have especially becasue I plan on adding a Weatherguard tool box which will take up some room back there. The biggest reason I want the long bed, is for the larger gas tank. I also hear you get a better ride.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the values of used 2016 F-250 Lariats with all options equal, but changed the bed size. KBB valued a short bed $11,445 more than a long bed. I can't believe that quote would be accurate, but that's what it had.

MadeInDade 08-13-2017 12:51 AM

I just did the same KBB search but compared Platinum Long Bed vs. Platinum Short Bed and KBB valued the long bed $732 higher.

I don't know what formula they use, but that Lariat one is obviously off.

DRKBC 08-13-2017 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by MadeInDade (Post 17392690)
This is the biggest option, I can't decide on myself. I don't need a long box, but it would be nice to have especially becasue I plan on adding a Weatherguard tool box which will take up some room back there. The biggest reason I want the long bed, is for the larger gas tank. I also hear you get a better ride.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the values of used 2016 F-250 Lariats with all options equal, but changed the bed size. KBB valued a short bed $11,445 more than a long bed. I can't believe that quote would be accurate, but that's what it had.

I have always owned long box trucks and at least from my experience I haven't found them to be less. They are much harder to find but the people that want them tend to only want them.

Ricohman 08-13-2017 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by MadeInDade (Post 17392691)
I just did the same KBB search but compared Platinum Long Bed vs. Platinum Short Bed and KBB valued the long bed $732 higher.

I don't know what formula they use, but that Lariat one is obviously off.

That makes more sense. I'm really having trouble deciding on which one. I'm getting another F350 6.7 so maybe the LB would not be that odd in my rural location.
Sleeping in the box with a shell would also be more roomy. I've done this on fishing trips up north many times.

shortride 08-13-2017 10:01 AM

For obvious reasons there aren't many long boxes on the road. If you use one for a daily driver they are difficult to park. I would guess that a long box would do well and be handy with a 5th wheels but there doesn't seem to be a lot of demand for them. I friend bought one and hardly got it home before he brought it back to the dealer and traded. Any truck that is not in high demand I would think the dealer would consider that when trading.

Strokin-A-2010 08-13-2017 10:13 AM

I've always had long beds which they do come in handy some times. But on the new super duty the truck looks and is way to long for my taste. It looks stupid (my opinion so don't get butthurt if you like the looks) and I wasn't going to spend that kind of money on something I didn't like the looks.

Ricohman 08-13-2017 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Strokin-A-2010 (Post 17393147)
I've always had long beds which they do come in handy some times. But on the new super duty the truck looks and is way to long for my taste. It looks stupid (my opinion so don't get butthurt if you like the looks) and I wasn't going to spend that kind of money on something I didn't like the looks.

Yes the crew cab looks a bit odd.
But in DRW configuration it looks fine. If I go with a long box I would probably go dually.
Parking is no concern for me.

kry226 08-13-2017 10:31 AM

I think the CCLB looks great. And the 48 gallon tank makes it look all the better.

Strokin-A-2010 08-13-2017 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ricohman (Post 17393165)
Yes the crew cab looks a bit odd.
But in DRW configuration it looks fine. If I go with a long box I would probably go dually.
Parking is no concern for me.

Yes I agree that the DRW looks a lot better with the long bed than the SRW.

DRKBC 08-13-2017 10:45 AM

I don't find the extra 16" of vehicle length between a Crew cab long and short is really that big of a deal, there both larger vehicles. From a work perspective, I see a lot of advantage (and depending what you carry around for recreation, this could also be true) You can fit things in the box and shut the gate which is important as we haul things regularly. I see a lot of short boxes driving with things resting on the gate or with open gates, which on a day in day out basis isn't that safe or practical.

We have both long and short box trucks and I find the long box more convenient most of the time. I notice the length from time to time, parallel parking can be a bit of a pain but it is not that much more effort than with the shorter wheel base trucks. Getting in and around job sites I occasionally notice the extra length but being able to get everything to the job safely and in one trip offsets any issues there. I could see there being less of a market but I can't see paying thousands less, if that was true I would happily buy used but over the last 3 trucks I have not found that there has been any difference price wise between the two.

In the end buying what suits your needs makes the most sense if you wouldn't load up the extra space it makes no sense to go to a LB for the occasional trip but if you use it, its a handy feature.

gbkeith 08-13-2017 10:48 AM

I'm closing in on 1,000,000 miles of long bed super duties. Short beds really aren't useful for much.

Strokin-A-2010 08-13-2017 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by gbkeith (Post 17393217)
I'm closing in on 1,000,000 miles of long bed super duties. Short beds really aren't useful for much.

LMAO yea ok:-X19

Strokin-A-2010 08-13-2017 10:52 AM

Yup, not useful that much. https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f10ff855b2.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...e08a63dcf4.jpg

wfedwar 08-13-2017 10:54 AM

Get what suits your needs the best. You'll get raped on resale regardless. At least I always have. At least while you own the truck, it will be what you need.