Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Flatbed, Car, Boat, Utility, Horse & Misc. Trailer Towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum289/)
-   -   Trailer Value (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1502817-trailer-value.html)

SpeedThrills 08-10-2017 12:26 PM

Trailer Value

Anyone familiar with these trailers?
https://southjersey.craigslist.org/t...220388033.html
Price seems high for a 2009.
Also, wouldn't an open trailer cost less than a full trailer? I see dealers selling new full trailers for almost the same money as this 2009 open. https://southjersey.craigslist.org/t...238305894.html

Bugzilla46310 08-10-2017 07:54 PM

Not too hard. Google Bri Mar, find a local dealer from that site and see what new ones cost from the dealer site:-drink.

BCooke 08-11-2017 05:01 PM

Yup.
A decent size manufacturer.
Remember many people are making sell at "Enter name here warehouse/box store" models up to solid trailers. Look at how it is built.

Slowpoke Slim 08-13-2017 08:31 AM

Seems outrageously overpriced to me, but I don't know the economy in your area. I think you could buy a brand new trailer for less than that.

Frame looks a little light to me, especially the tongue and front sub frame. And unless you really need the removable fender option, I would skip that "feature".

FuzzFace2 08-13-2017 02:27 PM

It does look a little light duty compared to mine that has a full frame with the bed ramps on top of the frame.
My ramps pull out but you don't have to lift them on top of the trailer that these look like do.

Now how many axles have elect. brakes?
What ball size does it take 2" or 2 5/16" as that will also tell you how much weight it can haul.
Spare tire & toolbox does add to the trailer.
Dove tail also adds to the trailer.
Also most car trailers I come across are 18' not 20'.
The big thing is you can get this trailer now and not order it.

Car trailer like most trailers do not wear out per say, tires, grease bearings, and check brakes and that's it.
I have had my car trailer for over 30 years and 2 years ago made 3 trips from CT to NC when I moved to haul my projects down here.
http://cars.grantskingdom.com/var/re...Trailer002.jpg
Dave ----

Slowpoke Slim 08-13-2017 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 (Post 17393560)
It does look a little light duty compared to mine that has a full frame with the bed ramps on top of the frame.
My ramps pull out but you don't have to lift them on top of the trailer that these look like do.

Now how many axles have elect. brakes?
What ball size does it take 2" or 2 5/16" as that will also tell you how much weight it can haul.
Spare tire & toolbox does add to the trailer.
Dove tail also adds to the trailer.
Also most car trailers I come across are 18' not 20'.
The big thing is you can get this trailer now and not order it.

Car trailer like most trailers do not wear out per say, tires, grease bearings, and check brakes and that's it.
I have had my car trailer for over 30 years and 2 years ago made 3 trips from CT to NC when I moved to haul my projects down here.
http://cars.grantskingdom.com/var/re...Trailer002.jpg
Dave ----

That must have taken some time... what kind of mpg do you get while towing with that Deere?

:-X04

FuzzFace2 08-13-2017 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim (Post 17393765)
That must have taken some time... what kind of mpg do you get while towing with that Deere?

:-X04

:-X04 don't know as it does not have a trip meter so don't know how far I have gone LOL
It does have power steering & speed control :-jammin
I can do about 4 acres on half a tank, a tank is 6 gal if that helps lol
Dave ----

SpeedThrills 08-15-2017 09:26 AM

Everyone's a comedian, huh Dave? By the way, how does the JD handle when a big rig blows by? Oh, wait, YOU blow by them!

Anyhow, I appreciate all of the replies. This trailer is for occasional use taking a car to the drag strip, or a paint shop, or maybe to a welder. Picking up the occasional breakdown, etc.

I need to go by some dealers when they are closed to start getting a look at these things. I intend to by a used one, and as mentioned, as long as the frame is solid, and the price corresponds to what it may need, I see no reason why not.

I agree, Slowpoke, I think that 2009 is overpriced for it's age, but for all I know that could be the gold standard in trailers.

I have seen differences in strength.
Dave, the 2 5/16 ball indicating towing cap is a good point.
I won't have the need for anything super strong, but I'm considering resale value down the road.
I also have been looking for tool boxes and a spare tire.
Yes, looking for brakes on both axles.

I've read that tires are better in 16". I'm guessing the lower end trailers come with 15", as I haven't seen 16" as this early point in my search? Trailers sure are hard on two axle trailers tires in tight turns.

What is a dove tail?

I schnookered myself earlier this year and bought a homemade 14' that needs everything, but it was "only" $375. The guy immediately took less. No title, and NJ makes it about impossible to get one (as I found out the hard way).
Anyone near South Jersey looking for something for use on a farm or other large property, let me know. :o

Colorado350 08-15-2017 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SpeedThrills (Post 17397618)
Everyone's a comedian, huh Dave? By the way, how does the JD handle when a big rig blows by? Oh, wait, YOU blow by them!

Anyhow, I appreciate all of the replies. This trailer is for occasional use taking a car to the drag strip, or a paint shop, or maybe to a welder. Picking up the occasional breakdown, etc.

I need to go by some dealers when they are closed to start getting a look at these things. I intend to by a used one, and as mentioned, as long as the frame is solid, and the price corresponds to what it may need, I see no reason why not.

I agree, Slowpoke, I think that 2009 is overpriced for it's age, but for all I know that could be the gold standard in trailers.

I have seen differences in strength.
Dave, the 2 5/16 ball indicating towing cap is a good point.
I won't have the need for anything super strong, but I'm considering resale value down the road.
I also have been looking for tool boxes and a spare tire.
Yes, looking for brakes on both axles.

I've read that tires are better in 16". I'm guessing the lower end trailers come with 15", as I haven't seen 16" as this early point in my search? Trailers sure are hard on two axle trailers tires in tight turns.

What is a dove tail?

I schnookered myself earlier this year and bought a homemade 14' that needs everything, but it was "only" $375. The guy immediately took less. No title, and NJ makes it about impossible to get one (as I found out the hard way).
Anyone near South Jersey looking for something for use on a farm or other large property, let me know. :o

A dovetail trailer offers a lower break over angle. A straight tail trailer even with ramps can cause a low car to get high centered. A dovetail creates smaller angles. The cons of a dovetail is lower clearances when going through uneven trails, dips in the road or coming down hill and turning onto a flat road. As the tongue goes up the tail goes down and can cause damage to the trailer if you're not careful.
I bought a Diamond C trailer off CL, used 5x's for $1800. Regarding tires, my trailer came with 205/75/15 Bias ply, Load C, I replaced them with 225/75/15 Radials, Load Range E, so essentially the tires have a higher load capacity than the trailer is rated.

SpeedThrills 08-16-2017 08:50 AM

Thanks, John. I kinda thought that's what a dovetail is. And I agree on the tires; can't have "too much".
I used to drive tractor trailers, and I did some trailer jockeying at the terminal. Amazing watching what the trailer tires would go through when I'd spin a loaded trailer 180*.

brandon_oma#692 08-16-2017 09:12 AM

Highly recommend a trailer with a solid deck. wooden rather than metal. Why? Try loading a riding lawnmower, large roll around toolbox, a, bunch of lumber, boxes of car parts, loose truck parts..... the list goes on. A trailer with a solid deck is just much more versatile. Wooden rather than metal? Metal on metal slides. Stuff stays put much better on wood. Also you can nail or screw blocking to the trailer deck if needed to help secure something.

FuzzFace2 08-17-2017 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Colorado350 (Post 17399300)
A dovetail trailer offers a lower break over angle. A straight tail trailer even with ramps can cause a low car to get high centered. A dovetail creates smaller angles. The cons of a dovetail is lower clearances when going through uneven trails, dips in the road or coming down hill and turning onto a flat road. As the tongue goes up the tail goes down and can cause damage to the trailer if you're not careful.
I bought a Diamond C trailer off CL, used 5x's for $1800. Regarding tires, my trailer came with 205/75/15 Bias ply, Load C, I replaced them with 225/75/15 Radials, Load Range E, so essentially the tires have a higher load capacity than the trailer is rated.

In all the years I have had my trailer only a few times have I had any issues with a low car.
Part of that is my ramps are longer than what came with this trailer. The person I got it from swapped ramps with his buddy to have the longer ones.
The other is the rear cross beam in the center is only half as high just for that reason.
And if I still have issues I can jack up the front of the trailer and/or drive the rear tow car up on a set of ramps to push rear of trailer down.

My car trailer is running H78x15LT (light truck)tires, yes they are old!
http://cars.grantskingdom.com/var/re...o/DSCF0032.jpg

Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692 (Post 17400015)
Highly recommend a trailer with a solid deck. wooden rather than metal. Why? Try loading a riding lawnmower, large roll around toolbox, a, bunch of lumber, boxes of car parts, loose truck parts..... the list goes on. A trailer with a solid deck is just much more versatile. Wooden rather than metal? Metal on metal slides. Stuff stays put much better on wood. Also you can nail or screw blocking to the trailer deck if needed to help secure something.

I will say a solid deck does make it easier for some of them but that tractor was brought home on that trailer.
Many times had 4 or 5 quads on it loaded side ways, wheel fit on the bed ramps just nicely.
I have moved a lot of lumber and it fits nice on my open deck also.

That tire rack is an old hospital bed frame I cut down to fit the front of the trailer. It is bolted in place so if I have something long & high I can unbolt it, top rails are also bolted together, and what I am moving most likely will fit over the front tool box. I have yet needed to remove the rack other than for painting the trailer.

That tool box is an old factory electrical switch box bolted to the A frame of the trailer. It can hold a lot of stuff.

I also have a 2sp. hand winch on the front of the trailer and enough cable to go 2x the trailer bed & ramps. Never know when the car/truck you are getting does not run.

They make all types of trailers because not everyone uses/needs it for the same thing.
Dave ----

82_F100_300Six 08-19-2017 01:16 PM

That AMC brings back a lot of memories going to the drag strip back in 79 or so and seeing those cars with blowers and big blocks tubbed out with slicks.

SpeedThrills 08-21-2017 08:19 PM

Very good ideas from everyone! I've learned a lot on this one... I'm in no hurry to buy, I'm putting together some learnin', as I know very little about car trailers.