Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Hugh Altitude, hot day, towing... DPF problem who has experienced it?? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1501772-hugh-altitude-hot-day-towing-dpf-problem-who-has-experienced-it.html)

StanleyZ 08-02-2017 10:48 PM

Hugh Altitude, hot day, towing... DPF problem who has experienced it??

I recently towed from Billings MT to Cody WY. It was hot. The next day I experienced a "DPF FULL DRIVE TO CLEAN" message, the only one I've ever gotten. The regen was not normal but I did get it cleared. In trying to learn what was going on I found 3 other posters on this forum who had the same experience under the same conditions.

So. if you've had a similar experience tell us about it please. Maybe we can learn something about our trucks that Ford doesn't know.

Mike189677 08-03-2017 01:41 AM

The op of this thread did as well as the last poster I linked the op to the old thread about the 15's having the issue and gave him some tsb #'s but I think he may have disappeared.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...verloaded.html

StanleyZ 08-03-2017 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mike189677 (Post 17371840)
The op of this thread did as well as the last poster I linked the op to the old thread about the 15's having the issue and gave him some tsb #'s but I think he may have disappeared.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...verloaded.html

Thanks, that is an interesting thread and leaves me with a lot of concerns about my next tow over the rockies and back. I'm trying to call the Cody dealer but not getting to service so far. I'm thinking this is a problem that needs attention. My truck is a late 14 and has not as yet shut down but has done everything else described.

Pocket 08-03-2017 07:08 PM

There's a calibration update that needs to be performed. Trucks affected are 11-15's built on or before 3/26/15.

Have the dealer in Cody perform TSB 15-0057.

If the message is cleared from your instrument cluster, it might be a bit more difficult for some dealers to play ball in getting calibration updates done under warranty. Some dealers want to see a code or an active warning. If you mention the TSB maybe they'll look closer. Worth a shot. If not, the symptoms will get progressively worse until the warning won't go away, then the TSB will have to be performed.

My truck tows all the time at altitude during the summer, as in almost a weekly basis it's towing. It was built in January 2015, but I've had several calibration updates since then and have never had that message come up during or after towing.

Good luck and let us know what the dealer ends up doing.

StanleyZ 08-03-2017 07:26 PM

My trucks a 14 but its a late 14. I called the dealer today and spoke with the moron there. She couldnt find the TSB or the other message and kept repesting that since I had gotten a completed cleaning everything was OK. I explained the problem 3 times and got that same answer. Im slow but after the 3rd time I realized that she had been told to say that and nothing else.

Also ive been thinking and that truck has towed over the rockies and through the mountains by Yosemite and back over the rockies without a similar incident. If i have another problem ill probably delete the DPF. Thats what i did with my 6.4 and it was worth evvery penny.

Pocket 08-03-2017 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by StanleyZ (Post 17373562)
My trucks a 14 but its a late 14. I called the dealer today and spoke with the moron there. She couldnt find the TSB or the other message and kept repesting that since I had gotten a completed cleaning everything was OK. I explained the problem 3 times and got that same answer. Im slow but after the 3rd time I realized that she had been told to say that and nothing else.

Also ive been thinking and that truck has towed over the rockies and through the mountains by Yosemite and back over the rockies without a similar incident. If i have another problem ill probably delete the DPF. Thats what i did with my 6.4 and it was worth evvery penny.

Like I said, trucks affected were 11-15, built up to 3/26/15. Yours being a 2014, most certainly falls into that range.

But again, if a dealer doesn't see it on the truck at the time you bring it in, at times it's almost impossible to get the service done under warranty.

It all depends on the dealer. Sorry but it's a fact of life. Try the dealer near your home town to see if you get different results.

Just Strokin 08-04-2017 05:31 AM

If you can get the dealer to flash your PCM/ECU with the latest calibration if will include any changes the TSB 15-0057 would have made. The latest calibration should also include the latest regen strategy Ford incorporated to for the jack hammering issue.

djousma 08-04-2017 07:41 AM

Yea, I agree. My dealer charges .5 hr labor to flash the new calibration. While I don't like paying it, its much easier than trying to get them to do it under warranty. If Im not having any problems, I'll have my dealer do it as a preventative thing about every other year. I look at it like my computer, they always make improvements. Some things just aren't worth arguing over.

StanleyZ 08-04-2017 09:53 AM

OK, thanks. After yesterdays conversation I have low confidence that the dealer in Cody is up to date. Besides, I'm about out of time here. I'm gonna hitch up monday and head for the tetons. An early morning trip so should be cool. Later this month when I get to Colorado springs I can take it in for service and buy a re-flash. If it strands me in the boonies of BFE as someone above said I'll just deal with it. My back up plan in the event I get the FULL DRIVE TO CLEAN message is to unhook and clean. I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

In closing I believe there is something amiss in the programming. Hopefully the re-flash will correct it.

Thanks to all who responded/

senix 08-05-2017 08:17 PM

Subscribing. Mine is a 2013 build and I have only had the reflash for the EGT sensors.

No issues but wonder if this will show up for me?

StanleyZ 09-05-2017 05:49 PM

I am now back home. Since I left Cody I have towed over a number of mountains Including Monarch pass which is 11,400 feet. All the trips were normal and I have not experienced another clean issue. However, I have not been in any heat when crossing mountains. It has all been cool weather. While I am not likely to cross a high enough mountain in hot enough weather to cause a repeat of the issue I will get a flash update anyway.

senix 09-06-2017 05:16 AM

My daughter lives in Montrose. Hope you waived as you drove by.

It was much cooler this summer there. When I went over Monarch this year it was in the 50's.

SkiSmuggs 09-06-2017 12:04 PM

My truck was built about a week prior to the TSB date. I towed my fiver out west and in the Tetons 2 years ago without incident, however, I was using both Opti-Lube Summer Plus and AR6200, both of which reduce soot. Better living through chemistry.

gwg42 09-06-2017 08:59 PM

Had significant issues with regens on the last 3 days driving from Canmore, AB; to Billings, Mt; to Fountain,CO (south side of Colorado Springs,CO); to home in Central Texas. Have hand written notes, pics of screens from truck. Every error msg. (Filter Full,Overloaded, Filter at Limit, Clean Now,Wrench Lite, Eng Ck Lite). Engine never shut down. Some of this occured in the Denver area and Raton Pass Area. After a rather long conversation with local Ford truck personnel, met with them. They pulled several error codes and installed a TSB 17-0021 for my truck. Never had any extra regens during the preceeding 2 months on road in driving to Alaska and the return trip, except for the last 3 days. Over 11,000 miles driven. PM if you like details.

senix 09-07-2017 05:13 AM

Can you post the TSB if they gave it to you?