Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   no engine brake in 1 st gear (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/150160-no-engine-brake-in-1-st-gear.html)

Jlee125 09-06-2003 11:50 PM

no engine brake in 1 st gear

After a trip to the Mountains, I found I don't have any engine braking in 1st gear. This is on a 2000 ranger with a 3.0 engine and 4 speed automatic with 82000 miles on it. The 2nd and 3rd gear seem to brake ok and all seem to shift normal. The transmission was serviced 12000 miles ago. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem. :-wow

seagull369 09-07-2003 12:36 AM

Are you talking about transmission downshifting?

Ken00 09-07-2003 03:14 PM

Welcome to FTE!!!

I don't have my manual with me right now but I believe you need to have the OD off, could be wrong.

Jlee125 09-07-2003 10:28 PM

Thanks Ken, I will try it again next week. John

amp17757 09-10-2003 11:24 AM

I'm assumming you mean that you can't feel the compression of the engine slowing you down upon decelleration?? (as if in neutral). I have an 85 with the A4LD, and it does the same thing, in ALL gears. When I lift off the throttle, the engine drops to idle, and truck coasts as if in neutral. It was like that when I bought it in Dec 1999 ... still does it, but STILL GOING! I have learned a few things about these trannies, but still don't know enough to accurately diagnose the problem. I know that MINE needs rebuilt (or replaced). Yours could be simpler, like maybe just the vacuum modulator (if you have one). They were apparently still using modulators when MINE was built, but I don't know if they were still doing things that way into the 90's and later. Check to see if you have a modulator (maybe someone in this forum knows for sure). If you do, check it out before you drop any big bucks.

Jlee125 09-11-2003 07:55 PM

I haven't looked for a modulator yet and i have not been back to the mountins to try it there. Here in town on flat ground when you put it in 2nd gear and let off the gas. You can feel the engine slowing you down. When you put it in 1st gear and try the same thing. The truck feels like it is in nutral and coasting.

Ken00 09-11-2003 09:12 PM

Got some more information for you from my Ford manual.

The coast clutch is a multi-disc clutch made up of steel and friction plates.

The coast clutch is applied with hydraulic pressure and disengaged by return springs and the exhaust of the hydraulic pressure.
The coast clutch is housed in the front brake and coast clutch drum.
The coast clutch is applied when the TCS switch is on, and 4th gear is inhibited.
The coast clutch is hydraulically applied when the transmission is in 2nd and 1st position.
When applied, the coast clutch locks the input shaft to the front planetary carrier, thus preventing the one-way clutch from overrunning when the vehicle is coasting.
This allows the use of engine compression to help slow the vehicle and provide engine braking.