Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   No air coming through vents really... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1499291-no-air-coming-through-vents-really.html)

dziwei 07-16-2017 09:04 PM

No air coming through vents really...

2003 E350 Club Wagon, pulled apart the evaporator and cleaned it (wasn't really much there, few small leaves & a little dust) but still no airflow, the blower motor is very quiet on low, not much more sound on medium and high you can hear it easily but still nothing coming out any vents on heat or a/c. doesn't seem like replacing the resistor is gonna get air flowing but I ordered one anyway (the one on this van looks a little crusty).

any ideas greatly appreciated!

Wildman25 07-17-2017 08:53 PM

Replacing the resistor is generally done when the fan only works on high, no mater what the switch setting in on.

You could have a blower motor going south? Link.

Next would be the blend door not setting in the proper direction.

Here's a tech write up on that subject - Link.

dziwei 07-18-2017 12:01 AM

thanks for the links, good reading and I have notes and directions to follow tomorrow, much better than me just grasping at straws!

dziwei 07-20-2017 03:20 PM

Minor Update: the rear heater a/c unit is exhibiting the same thing! motor runs but no air coming out of vents... significant?

Wildman25 07-20-2017 06:57 PM

You didn't mention the rear AC unit in the first post.

Kind of changes the game now........

Do you have separate control knobs on the dash for front/rear?

If so, there might be a switching valve in the engine compartment for the 2 units.

dziwei 07-20-2017 09:23 PM

Yes, I had not done a thorough diagnosis, just concentrating on the vents in the dash (its a long way to the back of this rig! hehe).

Yes, 2 controls (one over the other) in the dash and there is another control back above the 2nd row of seats mounted in the head liner (I was guessing that only controls those vents nearby it?)

Do you know the name of the valve?

Wildman25 07-21-2017 09:13 PM

Check this Link out to see it this helps you at all???

dziwei 07-22-2017 11:18 PM

thanks for tracking that down, slow progress here but I am still trying! the diagram in that thread is a little hard to read but was helpful nonetheless... I now know the blue line to the rear heat/ac is a vacuum line!

I plan to examine the air intake on the rear a/c unit to see if it is clogged up, also I don't think I have tried the heat back there (doh! right?) will do that at the same time. I have the upper interior trim panels removed on this van so the lower one should come off easy...

Spaznaut 07-23-2017 12:16 AM

If the blower sounds like it is running at higher speeds then your issue is probably your door that switches from vent to defrost/floor. I'd check for vac at the hose that comes through the firewall at the passenger side floorboard. That is the hose coming to the controls and is a good place to start checking for vac issues. There are quite a few good posts on here about this but the pictures are mostly gone for now since photobucket went pay-to-play. Having a vac gauge and/or vac pump to check the hoses would help tremendously with this.

dziwei 07-23-2017 12:24 PM

With everyone's help I found this red vacuum line (it was just buried unconnected by some other stuff). Anyone know where it should be connected? the red arrow shows the loose end and the blue arrow shows where it originates.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...5e036e556d.jpg

the right angle boot where it connects to then next fitting (about an inch below the red arrow in the pic) is cracked, is that likely big trouble in the future?

dziwei 07-23-2017 08:55 PM

Success, thanks ppl~!

Re-connecting that hose to the backside/passenger's side/intake nipple that had 2 other lines connected to it made all the difference, both front and rear heater/ac unit are blowing out hot/cold air for each setting; low, med, high.

It must have been disconnected for some time because there was no fitting on the nipple (capped/plugged) that would fit what was left on the end of the hose, got something off a donor vehicle. Those vacuum lines wrap from there around the upper back of the engine to meet the EVAP valve, EGR and fuel rail but this one was an orphan with no coupler to meet up with the others.

7pm on Sunday night, I am taking the rest of the weekend off!

Wildman25 07-24-2017 07:04 PM

Glad to hear you got this fixed........with a simple fix at that ;)

Oh, and enjoy your long weekend.........

sounds like some of my weekends......