Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Can someone give me a quick list of issues? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1499236-can-someone-give-me-a-quick-list-of-issues.html)

Yahiko 07-16-2017 03:05 PM

Can someone give me a quick list of issues?
 
Was looking to see what the issues with the 6.4L are and
what are the options on dealing with them.

Thanks for the help.

DieselDenny 07-16-2017 06:35 PM

Your opening yourself up to everyone elses opinion.

Yes they have known issues. (check fords TSB's). They are in my "opinion" a very nice platform to drive, enjoy and maintain. I'm old school 99 7.3 and with that said..........they are bulletproof trucks but they still have an eyebrow that dips. Face it, they all do.


Common issues are a lack of maintenance and care. Downfalls are emission related, (egr's/DPF) that's an easy get them the hell outta there unless you are tested.

Other than that, with timely fluid/filter changes and taking 20 minutes to degause the fuel/water seperator once a month. They are a blessing for guys that drive TRUCKS.

Best advise I can give, glean this forum, (it's like a ghost town compared to others btw) and pick up what u need to make your decision.

After driving a 7.3, still am for quarter million miles, when I do pry my way into the wifes 08 one ton, I feel like jed clampett shooting the family crude with a musket.

How many lawn mowers do you have to go thru until you just say, frick it, let it grow.

Hard question.

Denny

Copper.Farm 07-16-2017 09:19 PM

Sean,

No issues that Ford has not already addressed. I've put 40k on my 2008 since January, I love the motor.

Copper.Farm 07-16-2017 09:27 PM

I add fuel and drive it with no concerns. Changing oil and fuel filters every 10k.

One thing I do, I add a quart of clean motor oil into the fuel tank like every other tank full.

Delete, MiniMax with Tow.

12mpg at 80mph empty
14mpg at 75mph empty
16mpg at 65mph empty

4:30 rear gears.

Picton 07-17-2017 09:56 AM


Originally Posted by Copper.Farm (Post 17333048)
...One thing I do, I add a quart of clean motor oil into the fuel tank like every other tank full...

Copper can you please explain that one?^^^

speakerfritz 07-17-2017 01:53 PM


Originally Posted by Yahiko (Post 17332218)
Was looking to see what the issues with the 6.4L are and
what are the options on dealing with them.

Thanks for the help.

-early rocker wear
-early lifter wear
-fuel pump fragments metal particles into fuel system
-stuck injectors due to metal fragments
-hole in piston due to stuck injectors
-high fuel in oil contamination due to the regen process, oil level will rise, main bearings will fail, cracks in injector seats, oil leaks thru seals
-seal under turbo will leak
-coolant will enter oil system from water pump due to cavitation
-oring leaks at coolant tubing
-coolant leaks at egr, hydro-locks engine
-DPF clogs and puts the engine into wrench mode leaving you stranded.
-exhaust sensors fail and puts the engine into wrench mode, leaving you stranded
-water separator does not work very well
-engine work require cab off procedure
-oil cooler will leak into coolant system and vs versa
-coolant system clogs
-repairs are expensive
-too many ambiguous error codes


I also like the engine when it runs


the best fix is prevention as in don't buy one.

buy a 6.7 if possible. lifters are bigger, rockers have a new oil jet on them, waterpump no longer leaks into oil system, etc,

Picton 07-17-2017 02:00 PM


Originally Posted by speakerfritz (Post 17334615)
-early rocker wear
-early lifter wear
-fuel pump fragments metal particles into fuel system
-stuck injectors due to metal fragments
-hole in piston due to stuck injectors
-high fuel in oil contamination due to the regen process, oil level will rise, main bearings will fail, cracks in injector seats, oil leaks thru seals
-seal under turbo will leak
-coolant will enter oil system from water pump due to cavitation
-oring leaks at coolant tubing
-coolant leaks at egr, hydro-locks engine
-DPF clogs and puts the engine into wrench mode leaving you stranded.
-exhaust sensors fail and puts the engine into wrench mode, leaving you stranded
-water separator does not work very well
-engine work require cab off procedure
-oil cooler will leak into coolant system and vs versa
-coolant system clogs
-repairs are expensive
-too many ambiguous error codes


I also like the engine when it runs


the best fix is prevention as in don't buy one.

buy a 6.7 if possible. lifters are bigger, rockers have a new oil jet on them, waterpump no longer leaks into oil system, etc,

Dammit Fritz. Every time someone asks this...I wait...because I know your scathing response is incoming. And...every time I read it...I fill my pants with the saddest kind of oatmeal.

It is what it is. I just have to hope that it lasts me taking care of the maintenance the way I do.

DieselDenny 07-17-2017 03:52 PM

I knew Fritz would bite like a perch on a minnow.

Love the slap fight!

BTW, pic did you circumsize the EGR's yet or are you waiting for me to do the nasty first??!!

This weekend I go there!!!


Denny

Picton 07-17-2017 04:14 PM


Originally Posted by DieselDenny (Post 17334834)
I knew Fritz would bite like a perch on a minnow.

Love the slap fight!

BTW, pic did you circumsize the EGR's yet or are you waiting for me to do the nasty first??!!

This weekend I go there!!!


Denny

Ha! Denny...I just finished watching a video on EGR removal. I've definitely got the itch. I'm afraid I don't have the tools...and the work intimidates me a bit. I thought about liquid courage...but that probably wouldn't turn out too well. Passed out on the driveway...work gloves on...with a truck half torn apart...lol...now that would be a sight.

Yahiko 07-17-2017 05:12 PM


Originally Posted by Picton (Post 17334873)
Ha! Denny...I just finished watching a video on EGR removal. I've definitely got the itch. I'm afraid I don't have the tools...and the work intimidates me a bit. I thought about liquid courage...but that probably wouldn't turn out too well. Passed out on the driveway...work gloves on...with a truck half torn apart...lol...now that would be a sight.

That would not be a good place to be if you have someone come home and
find you in that state. and on top of that also find you have drank everything
and none left for others. }>

Picton 07-17-2017 05:22 PM


Originally Posted by Yahiko (Post 17335003)
That would not be a good place to be if you have someone come home and
find you in that state. and on top of that also find you have drank everything
and none left for others. }>

Ha! Indeed...but I already had one too many...and it was too late.

What would be really weird is...they wake me only to ask why my pants are down and the neighbors are watching.

speakerfritz 07-17-2017 06:24 PM

that was what was requested...a quick list....my not so quick list..is in paragraph form.

in all seriousness, the 6.4L truck can be a great truck if operated in a non extreme duty environment (to me city driving is extreme duty due to the drive 4 blocks, wait 3 minutes at a red light, drive 4 more blocks, repeat.) and the original owner did excellent maint with top shelf maint supplies.

we get a lot of folks who buy 6.x trucks and come on board and say this is happening so what can I do...

once the 6.x is neglected...it cant be unneglected...not very forgiving.

mine is going under the knife for hub bearings this weekend. I have a turbo return line leak that will have to wait. and I get fumes in my cab from some unkown source....probally the fuel line that runs thru the vavle cover body....no seal there and a pretty big gap. I have a lot of blow by, but its clean blow by ..,so my crank case vent into the turbo gets most of it....thinking about a vacume pump to pull the rest of if, but cant find a place for a pully driven vacume pump. all my front end linkages have play so Im doing the drive and wander dance on the high way. Id like to back flush the oil cooler / coolant exchange box soon.

wife wants me to just buy a new truck, but for now, id rather deal with the issues then shell out 80K for a new one.



im running B30 for the last 5K miles and I cant even notice when it regens.

I have a second set of exhuast componets for a someday project of going dual everything which will hopefuly get m more DPF capacity.

cant do deletes in my local due to emissions testing.

Picton 07-17-2017 06:34 PM


Originally Posted by speakerfritz (Post 17335129)
...cant do deletes in my local due to emissions testing.

Crap dude...that's really getting you there. Wish you could delete. I appreciate the kind words about the 6.4 Fritz. Usually...you take a dump on them...lol...I know...You're just informing people who are asking the tough questions. I guess I just find it slightly entertaining.

DieselDenny 07-17-2017 07:43 PM

Fritz, first off if this is the OK coral, (Pic is not my doc Holiday). (luv ya but ya know).

I feel your pain and suffering with your unit, but we as a clutch haven't developed into that.............YET. I'm sure we will from your excellant posts and forewarness. Fact is, I have a 2008 6.4 and I will leave no man behind.



I owe and pay on it and you are exactly the person's brain I'm taking a probe to.

I look forward to, and write frivelous notes to run right out and check or do each weekend.


Long story short, I pick my shoulders up like I have sunburn and know someone's going to slap my back.

Luv ya!


Denny (and really, thanx Fritz)

Picton 07-17-2017 07:59 PM


Originally Posted by DieselDenny (Post 17335277)
Fritz, first off if this is the OK coral, (Pic is not my doc Holiday). (luv ya but ya know)...

Hey now...I think we're all on the same page here. :-drink


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands