Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2009 - 2014 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum193/)
-   -   Paint matched door handles and tailgate handle (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1498165-paint-matched-door-handles-and-tailgate-handle.html)

the_auto_tech 07-08-2017 03:00 PM

Paint matched door handles and tailgate handle

What did you guys do for this? I know some trucks came with them but my Limited has chrome door handles and tailgate handle. I'd like to paint match them but wasn't sure if they could be removed and painted or if I would need to buy new door handles and tailgate handle that then would be painted. It's pretty much the last exterior upgrade I wanna do besides painting the chrome strip on the running boards. Thanks guys!

zxwut? 07-08-2017 07:12 PM

I don't have experience with performing this myself but since no one else has chipped in, I'll give it a go.

Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes. I would visit 2-3 reputable body shops in person to receive quotes to paint them for me. I would also go to Google and search "painting plastic door handles." The Google part isn't meant to be sarcastic or an ass; it's what I would do to see if it was something I'd want to try tackling myself. Due to the cost of quality paint and material, plus my lack of experience painting, I would then probably pick the most reasonable bid. That doesn't mean the cheapest; it means the shop that seems like they know what they are doing and aren't trying to rip me off.

the_auto_tech 07-09-2017 12:30 AM

One of the body shops I asked about doing it wouldn't paint the chrome ones, they said they would do it with paint to match handles. I would try and paint them myself but the truck is tri-coat while metallic.

zxwut? 07-09-2017 12:36 AM

If more than one shop told me that, I would believe it. LMC and others sell the bare plastic replacements. I suppose it just depends on how much you're willing to spend.

paintballdude05 07-11-2017 08:59 PM

I just went through a similar ordeal with my XLT. From the factory it came with textured black cups but chrome handles like your Limited. I disassembled the handles and sanded down the textured finish on the cups in order to prep those to PTM. I got an extra set of chrome handles that were in good shape and used those in the new PTM cups. I also wanted a set of painted handles in case I ever changed my mind in the future so I took my old chrome ones and stripped the chrome off the handles. To do this I tore them down to just the chrome plated parts (this is very important for the next step), no other plastic of metal parts. Next, I dunked the plated parts in Muriatic/Hydrochloric acid until the platings dissolved (insert cautionary and liability statement here). After this I cleaned the parts really well and gave them a quick scuff and they were ready for paint.

the_auto_tech 07-12-2017 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by paintballdude05 (Post 17321832)
I just went through a similar ordeal with my XLT. From the factory it came with textured black cups but chrome handles like your Limited. I disassembled the handles and sanded down the textured finish on the cups in order to prep those to PTM. I got an extra set of chrome handles that were in good shape and used those in the new PTM cups. I also wanted a set of painted handles in case I ever changed my mind in the future so I took my old chrome ones and stripped the chrome off the handles. To do this I tore them down to just the chrome plated parts (this is very important for the next step), no other plastic of metal parts. Next, I dunked the plated parts in Muriatic/Hydrochloric acid until the platings dissolved (insert cautionary and liability statement here). After this I cleaned the parts really well and gave them a quick scuff and they were ready for paint.

Yea, I figured the chrome ones would need stripped. Most likely I'll just order a set of 4 door handle assemblies, take the handles out of them, have them painted, then disassemble mine, and install the painted handles. That way I don't have to worry so much about the paint not matching and then they won't need to paint the cups at all. Here's a set of 4 PTM door handles for 60 bucks shipped:

Front & Rear Right+Left Side New Set of 4 Door Handles Black LH RH Ford F-150 | eBay

Then I'd just have to get a tailgate handle. As much as I'd like to just paint my stock chrome ones I have a feeling it'll be worth it just to forgo trying to strip them and mess around with them and just order PTM ones.

johnday 07-12-2017 12:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Lost the link, but I bought covers off fleabay, and them PTMed. Cost me more for the paint than the covers. Think they came out decent.

the_auto_tech 07-14-2017 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by johnday (Post 17323317)
Lost the link, but I bought covers off fleabay, and them PTMed. Cost me more for the paint than the covers. Think they came out decent.

Can you get me pictures with the handles pulled out? I was curious to see how much the covers actually cover. If they cover a lot then I may go that route instead of completely new handles.

the_auto_tech 08-13-2017 10:44 AM

Bumping this up! Thinking of just buying some covers from eBay and having them painted instead of buying full new handles.