Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   P132B - Turbocharger Boost Control A Performance (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1498085-p132b-turbocharger-boost-control-a-performance.html)

sgrol 07-07-2017 09:15 PM

P132B - Turbocharger Boost Control A Performance

I have searched and searched but can't find much on this code as it applies to the 6.7 engine. I first encountered this code when pulling my toyhauler a couple of weeks ago. Leaving the camp site I noticed the truck would not build normal boost or power so I pulled over and pulled the P132b code. I reset codes, drove away under normal power and boost, and was fine until today. Today, I was on trip from S TX with truck (no trailer) and noticed boost was on low end. No noticeable performance issues but, again, I was not pulling. I later noticed engine light was on. I continued driving until home and pulled code P132b again before shutting engine off. When I reset the codes I heard turbo action from exhaust. Sounds like vanes close, build up back pressure, then open releasing the back pressure with a hiss heard from the exhaust. I hear this all the time when I first start up. Am I about to lose my turbo? Anything I can check, clean, or replace before this leaves me on the side of the road? I am siting right at 140,000 miles, regular oil changes at 5k miles, Rotella 15-40, deleted and tuned to lowest setting and drive like a grandpa which I am.

sgrol 07-08-2017 07:29 PM

Nobody has a clue on this? Pretty much what I found searching this code.

EO2SeaBee 07-08-2017 07:37 PM

Looks like it was a common topic of discussion across multiple threads in multiple forums for the 6.0's. I didn't find anything in searching where it was discussed in a 6.7, so it must not be that common these days. I would guess it is caused by similar circumstances though, and remedied similarly as well.

sgrol 07-08-2017 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by EO2SeaBee (Post 17314693)
Looks like it was a common topic of discussion across multiple threads in multiple forums for the 6.0's. I didn't find anything in searching where it was discussed in a 6.7, so it must not be that common these days. I would guess it is caused by similar circumstances though, and remedied similarly as well.

Thanks Doug. I found the same thing re the 6.0. Trying to determine if I have a turbo on its way out or an errant sending unit.

EO2SeaBee 07-08-2017 08:12 PM

Good luck with the repairs Steve. Maybe it is just a gunked up VGT ring, or a fouled sensor that can be inexpensively repaired or replaced, rather than needing a new turbo.

defekticon 07-10-2017 01:01 PM

This happened to me a two months ago. Simply turning the truck off, clearing the code, then back on fixed it. I reached out to a Ford diesel tech on youtube who makes outstanding videos (flmmaz).

He confirmed what I suspected. It can either be a stuck VGT solenoid, VGT ring or the turbo can be on it's way out.

The VGT solenoid is buried in there with the turbo charger and not easy to get to. As I understand it Ford did not issue instructions to clean the VGT Ring as they have on the older 6.0 VGT Turbos. It's a replacement if you take it to a Ford dealer, but they would at least be able to diagnose it.

My p132b code hasn't returned in two months since I first saw it. I've been towing my TH quite a bit since then. I do expect that I'll be replacing the turbo eventually, hopefully on my terms rather than on a flatbed.

sgrol 07-13-2017 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by defekticon (Post 17318254)
He confirmed what I suspected. It can either be a stuck VGT solenoid, VGT ring or the turbo can be on it's way out.

Happened to me again three times this week after a lot of idling and stop and go driving. All I have to do to remedy is erase codes. If it was something stuck I don't see how resetting the codes would fix it. I am going to pull and clean the MAP sensor to see if it helps.

sgrol 07-15-2017 07:00 PM

I pulled the MAP sensor and cleaned it with electronic cleaner spray. It had a good bit of gunk on it. Installed it and the boost read about 38 psi with just the key in the on position. Started it and check engine light was on with the boost reading the same 38 psi. So, I bought a new one and all is fine with the boost gauge and engine light. Only time will tell if this has solved the P132B code. More to come.

sgrol 07-20-2017 08:33 AM

Code and no boost are still occurring with new MAP sensor. Back to the drawing board.

nhoffman94 03-26-2018 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by sgrol (Post 17341012)
Code and no boost are still occurring with new MAP sensor. Back to the drawing board.

Did you ever solve this issue? I have a 2011 with 80,000 miles. Its our shop truck and is doing the same thing although I rarely have a lack of power. Typically its a turbo however my VGT solenoid does work and the truck runs just fine most of the time. That said we mainly haul a single car trailer with it which is fairly light. I've installed a new MAP as well however havent confimred the fix yet. Just curious as to what you ended up doing.

defekticon 03-26-2018 09:00 AM

Not that it's an option for everyone - I went with a DPF delete and a conservative no-smoke tune, never had another problem with it. Truck can idle all day long without any problems with boost performance. Which leads me to believe it's a electronic emissions control issue (EGR/DPF/etc) somewhere and NOT a problem with the turbo charger or VGT solenoid. I'm also 100% certain at this point if you have a 2011 truck, and delete the emissions equipment you don't have to worry about the turbocharger failing as prominently since you're cutting the heat going through the turbo by an order of magnitude. I put a real EGT gauge on my truck and the before/after cruise EGT's went from 800-900 degrees (Measured at the factory Downpipe location) to 400-500 degrees (Measured at the EGR fitting in the passenger Exhaust manifold). As long as you're not running race tunes over-spinning the turbo to get higher boost pressure, reducing the heat alone should extend the life of the ceramic ball bearings in the 2011 turbocharger. The only time I see EGT's over 800-900 degrees is when I'm pulling a trailer.

golfmedik 03-30-2018 05:04 AM

I've just been through the same thing as apparently I've had a stuck VGT for quite a while. My '13 got a new turbo, EGR cooler, MAP sensor, wastegate and solenoid, both coolant flushes, oil change and within 80 miles, the engine light was on and the boost gauge hung at 4. The MAP sensor was the culprit as it had gotten a piece of junk stuck in it. So, the dealer didn't have a new one so they put my old one back in until they could get another. I drove the truck for two days without a problem and the new MAP sensor was put in last Friday morning before going camping. During our trip, the truck basically went into limp mode, no power and no boost. Got it back to the dealer and the tech looked it up and it came down to when I changed the MAP sensor in the truck on Friday morning. With the computer already reading the info supplied by the sensors, it got really confused by installing a new MAP. All the tech did was use the IDS to clear the "specified functions" in the PCM and the power came back at turning the switch on. I've got FORScan now on my phone and have bought the bluetooth dongle to be able to reset the specified functions with my cell phone app if I have to change another MAP sensor.

defekticon 03-30-2018 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by golfmedik (Post 17894495)
I've just been through the same thing as apparently I've had a stuck VGT for quite a while. My '13 got a new turbo, EGR cooler, MAP sensor, wastegate and solenoid, both coolant flushes, oil change and within 80 miles, the engine light was on and the boost gauge hung at 4. The MAP sensor was the culprit as it had gotten a piece of junk stuck in it. So, the dealer didn't have a new one so they put my old one back in until they could get another. I drove the truck for two days without a problem and the new MAP sensor was put in last Friday morning before going camping. During our trip, the truck basically went into limp mode, no power and no boost. Got it back to the dealer and the tech looked it up and it came down to when I changed the MAP sensor in the truck on Friday morning. With the computer already reading the info supplied by the sensors, it got really confused by installing a new MAP. All the tech did was use the IDS to clear the "specified functions" in the PCM and the power came back at turning the switch on. I've got FORScan now on my phone and have bought the bluetooth dongle to be able to reset the specified functions with my cell phone app if I have to change another MAP sensor.

Thanks Golfmedik, that's good info. I'm planning on replacing the turbo in my truck before it leaves me on the side of the road since it's a 2011. I only have 56,000 miles on my truck and haven't had any other issues except for this p132b code which had me afraid I would have been replacing the turbo at 35,000 miles when it first showed up. I wanted to replace it this summer, but I'm moving to FL from MD and closing on a house so it's gonna have to wait. The good news is the weather down there makes replacing the turbo during the winter a good idea! Will make a good "winter" project.

eberflus911 06-24-2018 07:24 PM

Code

Originally Posted by golfmedik (Post 17894495)

hey so did doing this fix your problem and you havent had any more issues with it? Im having same thing going on on a deleted 2015.

eberflus911 06-24-2018 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by sgrol (Post 17341012)

did you ever get your issue fixed?