Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   E350 Frame cross member - relocate? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1497531-e350-frame-cross-member-relocate.html)

dziwei 07-03-2017 09:36 PM

E350 Frame cross member - relocate?

This extended van didn't have the spare stored underneath and the cross member that boxes that area in is further back; with spare below the cross member is in front of the leaf spring rear bolt/bracket, this one is well behind, under-spare won't fit.

So, the frame has holes for the other position and the bottom is bolted, good so far, but the top is riveted with heavy steel pins, if it is not otherwise affixed (welded?) could I move it on up? I have seen some off road shops on youtube who have modified the E350 frame in this area...

thanks to anyone who has experience with this!

OldBlackCat 07-04-2017 10:03 AM

pictures would be helpful

dziwei 07-04-2017 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In this diagram the frame member is in position for the spare tire to be mounted underneath (where we want it), the red arrows show its position on the van now:

Attachment 190914

Rick1025 07-04-2017 06:10 PM

You can do whatever you want. The crossmember was there to provide lateral stability to the rear of the frame.Whatever you do,dont weld anything to the frame/ bolt or rivit it. The heat of welding will take the temper out of the steel. rick

EagleFreek 07-04-2017 07:56 PM

Grind the head of the rivets, knock them out with a punch, move cross-member and install Grade 8 SAE or 10.9 or 12.9 metric bolts.

annaleigh 07-04-2017 07:59 PM

Since it is connected right at the spring mount, does anyone think it could be in there to support the frame to keep it from flexing?

dziwei 07-04-2017 08:51 PM

thanks ya'll!

great details, even I can follow...

annaleigh, the diagram is actually what I want at the end so your concern is covered, right?

when I looked at the underneath spare tire cradle I found it is mounted with rivets as well, so I will get good with grinding and punching those, it has 8 or more holding it to the frame rails.

annaleigh 07-04-2017 09:48 PM

Ok I re read and got it now! Yes that was my concern. You probably have a inch or more between the frame and body of the van. If for some special reason the cross member was engineered to go where it is now,, you might think about at least bolting a brace of some kind across the top once you relocate the cross member.

EagleFreek 07-05-2017 08:50 AM

If you have a right angel drill, you might be able to drill the underside head of the rivets and then use an air hammer with a chisel to knock the heads off. I did this years ago on an F150 when I removed the leaf spring hangers. However, you will need a good air hammer. I had a cheap one and was struggling and cursing. A buddy lent me a brand name one and it did the job in no time.

vettex2 07-05-2017 01:25 PM

would installing another cross member be feasible?

dziwei 07-05-2017 03:24 PM

Eagle, tnx for your input, I have never had good luck with drill bits (mine are all generic/cheap) on anything but thin steel, I end up going too fast or too hot or too dry so with a dozen of more to do I better work that out. I usually put used motor oil on for fluid, will real cutting fluid make a difference? I would hate to buy a decent drill bit then just trash it before the job is even done!

Vettex, tnx for stopping in here! the pic is actually the end result I am looking for with the cross member further forward making room for the spare tire underneath, were you thinking just add one where the red arrows are? that would def. be a smart way if only I needed it there, it would keep the solid factory installed cross member in place, like your thinking!

good brainstorming~!

vettex2 07-05-2017 06:13 PM

get good bits if that is what you are going to do

Need some better drill bits - The Garage Journal Board

jeffreyclay 07-05-2017 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by EagleFreek (Post 17306743)
I did this years ago on an F150 when I removed the leaf spring hangers. However, you will need a good air hammer. I had a cheap one and was struggling and cursing. A buddy lent me a brand name one and it did the job in no time.

Would you say the tool made the difference or the chisel?

dziwei 10-26-2017 04:10 PM

Getting back to this project, I tried salvaging a spare tire carrier from a donor van first: grinding the head off of the rivets? that hold the carrier's frame to the van's frame was tough and never really gave me a rivet shaft to punch against, I got it below the surface of the van frame's metal (head of the rivet completely gone) and still don't see a circular rivet hole. beating on it's center with a punch got nowhere, it doesn't budge or show any sign of being two parts. I also tried at the opposite side of the rivet with a cold chisel to pry it up or over or anywhere and it doesn't budge either. could these be 'hot rivets' that melt into the hole/frame/carrier when they are installed? the top and bottom of the rivets look like non-slip nail heads...

fordman75 10-27-2017 04:03 PM

I know most people like to grind or cut/chisel the rivots heads off. But I like to drill them. It's more work, but I have had good luck doing that. On all my projects I've probably drilled out 200-300 rivots.

I'm going to have the fun job of doing this on the rear of my 89 E350. I'm changing out the rear springs and spring hangers next spring. I just can't wait.:-roll:-X04