Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   My Future F5 project (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1495964-my-future-f5-project.html)

ravenclaws 06-22-2017 09:16 AM

My Future F5 project

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...f8db048dec.jpg
My future F5 project
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...732efa61c9.jpg
F5 Interior

Hey guys. I retired from the military last March. After giving it a lot of thought I have decided to get this F5 from my uncle and put it on the road as a 'rustoration' project. I don't know a lot about it other than the Ford dealership he purchased it from in the local area is still in operation today. They used it as a wrecker for MANY years. The last service sticker from them in the door opening is from 1982.

I am thinking a farm truck look with a low wood bed and a couple of whiskey barrels in the back. (I recently took a job as the taproom manager for a local distillery)

I have enough mechanical skills to be dangerous, do my own brake jobs, wheels bearings, alternators, starters etc. Have my own shop to work on it in, engine crane, cutting torch welder etc etc etc. But most of my experience is in Mustangs (2000, 2007 currently a 2014 is the DD) and old 944 Porsches.

Constructive advise welcome. I also have a DD of a 1998 F150 with 280k plus miles. Love the 4.6 Triton in it. Considering putting the same engine in the F5. I am not a purist, I am not going to sink 25k into this project. If you have issues with that please keep your comments to yourself. This is a very cool old truck, not a holy relic. Don't mean to be a @$$ just had a rough time on the old gas pump site when I was rebuilding my 1922 Fry May West with a couple of guys who took the stuff WAY more serious than I.

Again any and all constructive comments welcome and thank you for looking.

michael

Thisguy65 06-22-2017 09:33 AM

Looks to be a great start! Great thing is you can do whatever you want. I'm putting a cummins in mine.

ravenclaws 06-22-2017 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Thisguy65 (Post 17277612)
Looks to be a great start! Great thing is you can do whatever you want. I'm putting a cummins in mine.

Thanks ThisGuy,

It is mostly all there, except for the rear dually wheel on driver side, but I am hoping we may still find that laying around the old shop.

Original engine is in it, and while I hate to see it go, I may sell it to help fund a donor engine. I need it to be drivable, not feel like a modern truck.
I grew up on a cotton farm, nothing wrong with the way a old truck drives to me. However, my research shows the original motor made maybe 100 HP, but a 4.6 will make 200 plus stock. A little extra HP and a steering that doesn't feel like it is wandering are my main goals.

The distillery is about 40 miles away, would love to see this parked out in front of it some day.

raytasch 06-22-2017 11:12 AM

Welcome to the forum. I do like to see the larger trucks put to use. I would suspect you are aware of the "widowmaker" wheels which you probably have.
The 4.6 and OD transmission should make the old truck a viable road vehicle.

ravenclaws 06-22-2017 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by raytasch (Post 17277865)
Welcome to the forum. I do like to see the larger trucks put to use. I would suspect you are aware of the "widowmaker" wheels which you probably have.
The 4.6 and OD transmission should make the old truck a viable road vehicle.

raytasch,

thank you for the reply, I will be honest, I have heard the term but have not looked up the meaning on these trucks...sounds like the wheels will have to be replaced if the nickname 'widowmaker' is any indication correct?

michael

49f3dls 06-22-2017 12:03 PM

Welcome and good luck on the project. Remember it's suppose to be fun so when it's not walk away for a day then get back to it. Post more pics and you will get more answers to questions. It's good to put your location in the profile so members near you can help easier. Have fun.

ben73058 06-22-2017 12:07 PM

Hey Ravenclaw
Welcome Aboard! I don't think you have to be too sensitive here. We have all kinds of builds going on....
get it running & it will let you know what path to take. Does it still have the tow set up in the back?

The big trucks are a bit harder to get parts for as most of the aftermarket is for the F1/F100 size trucks.
You'll probably want to spend some time figuring out how to get the safer wheels/axle - search for Stu.
A replacement bed might be a challenge.. may have to get creative there.

If you don't need to get the Cab pretty - that will save you a ton of time. I like the current 2 tone retro look.

Good luck over there in the Mississippi!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)

truckdog62563 06-22-2017 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ravenclaws (Post 17277895)
raytasch,

thank you for the reply, I will be honest, I have heard the term but have not looked up the meaning on these trucks...sounds like the wheels will have to be replaced if the nickname 'widowmaker' is any indication correct?

michael

Yeah, you might do a Google search for the trade name of the outer rims used on all these trucks. It is Firestone RH-5°. Few tire shops will touch them anymore for insurance/lawyer/ and training reasons. A 1970s NHTSA/IIHS recall effort failed, so those of us in the old truck hobby are still dealing with them today.

But good replacement options exist. I see from your profile that you live in MS. Probably the easiest to find replacements are tubeless 19.5" wheels from 1970s/1980s era Ford and Dodge Class A motor home derelicts. I would expect a fair number have gone to MS to die. These wheels (Budd #89340s) use 8R19.5" tires that will be a few inches shorter in diameter than your 20s, but generally that isn't a deal breaker for guys. Also other safer 20s and 22.5s are options we can go in to.

Welcome to the group, and thank you for your service to the country. Stu

Moe Craig 06-22-2017 07:49 PM

welcome to FTE! Nice truck looking forward to see more pics

abe 06-22-2017 08:44 PM

Welcome to FTE the best Ford Truck Forum on the world wide Web! We are not a mean nor sarcastic bunch here. We have purists, stockers, restomod guys, and wild custom guys and anything in between. We like big trucks and pictures of progress. It's ok to show us your work. It's not bragging.

I too like that two tone color and the door art. Good luck!

ravenclaws 06-22-2017 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by 49f3dls (Post 17277955)
Welcome and good luck on the project. Remember it's suppose to be fun so when it's not walk away for a day then get back to it. Post more pics and you will get more answers to questions. It's good to put your location in the profile so members near you can help easier. Have fun.

Thank you for the reply 49f3dls,

I will certainly post more pics as I go. I am a firm believer in that 'the only stupid question is the one you are afraid to ask'. Don't get me wrong, I will ask stupids questions, but as long as someone gives some advise after they have a good laugh I am completely cool with it.:-X22

ravenclaws 06-22-2017 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Moe Craig (Post 17278804)
welcome to FTE! Nice truck looking forward to see more pics

Yep more pics coming Moe. Thank you for the welcome.

ravenclaws 06-22-2017 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by abe (Post 17278940)
Welcome to FTE the best Ford Truck Forum on the world wide Web! We are not a mean nor sarcastic bunch here. We have purists, stockers, restomod guys, and wild custom guys and anything in between. We like big trucks and pictures of progress. It's ok to show us your work. It's not bragging.

I too like that two tone color and the door art. Good luck!

Thanks abe,

Ialso like the 2 tone paint job. Although I wish (hope) to change the door art, IF I can do so without ruining the antique patina look of the truck. Hand Motor company is now Hammond Ford in Durant MS. Have purchased several cars from them over the years. So if the door art can't be changed without messing up the look I can do it up a little and live with it. I like the shadow style lettering better on some old trucks I have seen. Sorry don't know the official name for it.

ravenclaws 06-22-2017 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by truckdog62563 (Post 17277992)
Yeah, you might do a Google search for the trade name of the outer rims used on all these trucks. It is Firestone RH-5°. Few tire shops will touch them anymore for insurance/lawyer/ and training reasons. A 1970s NHTSA/IIHS recall effort failed, so those of us in the old truck hobby are still dealing with them today.

But good replacement options exist. I see from your profile that you live in MS. Probably the easiest to find replacements are tubeless 19.5" wheels from 1970s/1980s era Ford and Dodge Class A motor home derelicts. I would expect a fair number have gone to MS to die. These wheels (Budd #89340s) use 8R19.5" tires that will be a few inches shorter in diameter than your 20s, but generally that isn't a deal breaker for guys. Also other safer 20s and 22.5s are options we can go in to.

Welcome to the group, and thank you for your service to the country. Stu

Thank you for the info truck dog. The sad part is 10 years ago that was true, I could ride the dirt road and find almost anything you could think of car/truck wise in about an hour.

Then about 5 years ago everything was cathered up for scrap, i.e went to China. Now it is much more of a challenge. I will find what I need eventually, heck I make home made wine; you would be surprised how many leads some good muscadine wine can get me.

:-drink

ravenclaws 04-29-2018 10:10 AM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...b6f40a89fb.jpg