Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   High Coolant and Oil Temps- Oil Cooler, Water pump? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1495649-high-coolant-and-oil-temps-oil-cooler-water-pump.html)

xplodn 06-19-2017 09:33 PM

High Coolant and Oil Temps- Oil Cooler, Water pump?

I need some help. New 6.0 owner having some issues.

I have read just about everything I can find on the ECT/EOT problem.

208K on it, its been studded, running a full banks system. Factory size tires. Since buying it I have drained and flushed with distilled 4 times before new ELC coolant (system looks very clean, no debris found at all), T6 oil change and cleaned the air filter.

I am having a large delta on ECT and EOT. Here's some data from today's run. There is a lot of it. Readings from every minute.

Ambient Temp 118 today, took it for a run up the highway cruised north at 65 mph and back south at 75mph. I was driving on Saturday at 75mph and got the wrench light for excessive delta with 232 degree EOT.

45mph on the way to the Freeway- ECT 195.8, EOT 213.5

65mph after accelerating lightly- ECT 197.6, EOT 216.4

10 miles later, flat 65mph cruise set, it maintained a reasonable temp hold and reached max of ECT 199.4, EOT 218.7

After 2 minutes of coasting down off-ramp and sitting at a light- ECT 195.8, EOT 213.5

after reaching 75MPH moderately- ECT 201.2, EOT 216.5

1 mile later, holding 75mph- ECT 204.8, EOT 220.2

2 miles at 75mph- ECT 204.8, EOT 224.6

3 miles at 75mph- ECT 204.8, EOT 225.2

4 miles at 75mph- ECT 204.8, EOT 226.4

5 miles at 75mph- ECT 204.8, EOT 227.3

6 miles at 75mph- ECT 204.8, EOT 228.2

7 miles at 75mph- ECT 206.6, EOT 228.5

8 miles at 75mph - ECT 208.4, EOT 231.0

At this point I dropped cruised and coasted to the next exit, a mile down.

After coasting to exit and sitting for a minute- ECT 201.2, EOT 221.0

After a mile at 45mph- ECT 203.0, EOT 221.6

2 miles at 45mph, lightly on throttle- ECT 204.8, EOT 221.0

After idling stopped for a few minutes- ECT 195.8, EOT 213.8

Driving again lightly at 45mph- ECT 203.0, EOT 211.5

Am I just ignoring the obvious oil cooler issue or is this a water pump, etc? I changed out the thermostat again for another motorcraft unit after Saturdays hot run. I swear it did not run this hot when I got it... but I question if they were running nearly 100% water in the system. I have no idea what EGR cooler there is, if there is a way to tell without disassembly please let me know.

I need some help- calling on those who are more knowledgeable than I!

packagerjr 06-19-2017 09:49 PM

How do your cold soak EOT, ECT, TFT, and IA1 numbers compare? Want to make sure they all agree. 12 hour soak will get you close - 24 is best.

If all sensors are good, sounds like oil cooler time.

I don't think your ECT is bad for 118 ambient. My fan kicks it up at 207, but I've seen others report 210. Did you hear the fan? Fan speed is reported out. Could always give radiator a good washing. It may be due at 200K miles.

I've only seen my 06 cooler installed so not sure how different from the outside the earlier coolers look.

xplodn 06-19-2017 10:47 PM

On a cold soak it does seem they are all the same. I will check again in the am.

As far as fan, I am not convinced that my PID is correct. It seems to say 1500 when it was at EOT 231 but then a screen shot before that showed 500rpm. I did not hear it roaring, but could have just not noticed.

Ugh, I was hoping to avoid the oil cooler but I am thinking it may be time too.

CLARIFICATION- I did not do a chemical flush on the engine coolant was clean of debris when I drained, although not the proper coolant. I removed the thermostat and flushed though 16 gallons of distilled after running a hose to the Degas bottle for 30 minutes first. Today the coolant I drained has zero debris through a coffee filter or visible in a clean bucket.

packagerjr 06-20-2017 09:27 AM

My fan at 1500 RPM isn't loud - if you listen, you can hear it. Now at 2000+ RPMs you can't not hear it.
I thought there was an oil temperature that would kick the fan in as well and I thought it was around 230 F. More folks in the know will chime in soon.
What are you monitoring your parameters with?

xplodn 06-20-2017 09:34 AM

I will have to drive it again this evening. I am using the Torque app to monitor it.

The replacement banks monitor comes in today so I can compare them.

Am I crazy that a 190 degree system shouldn't be running at 205 with flat easy driving at 75? I know that the Ford Modular motors do not run that hot with a 190 in them.

bismic 06-20-2017 09:59 AM

I agree, that is higher than it should be. Seems to me that if it is a failing water pump, you would see it going way higher when under load. Does it?

Have you checked for air flow obstructions in the radiator fins or in front of the radiator?

DarkStarMedia 06-20-2017 10:54 AM

For Phoenix (I assume that is where u are) at that temp your coolant temps are fine. I would say just do an oil cooler and a coolant flush and you are good to go.

Richard

EDT: I think that once you get the oil temps under control the coolant temps will drop a few degrees too.

xplodn 06-20-2017 11:18 AM

Yes I am in Phoenix.

Would the concensus be to do the full chemical flush before the oil cooler even if I am not seeing debris in the system?

Radiator seems fine, without any type of obstructions.

Rusty Axlerod 06-20-2017 11:23 AM

118° ambient could be some of the stress. With the A/C on and dumping heat in front of the radiator, everything is gonna need to be in very good condition. I agree 230+ EOT is too high. I can't imagine not hearing the cooling fan when it hits high speed so I suspect that may not be happening. Did it have green coolant in it? Is EGR valve plugged in? How does it do after dark with lower ambient temp?

xplodn 06-20-2017 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod (Post 17273256)
118° ambient could be some of the stress. With the A/C on and dumping heat in front of the radiator, everything is gonna need to be in very good condition. I agree 230+ EOT is too high. I can't imagine not hearing the cooling fan when it hits high speed so I suspect that may not be happening. Did it have green coolant in it? Is EGR valve plugged in? How does it do after dark with lower ambient temp?

Yeah the AC is certainly on high and will be adding some heat soak. I will.have to drive again and see if the fan is for sure locking up. Between the diesel and exhaust there is already a fair amount of noise.

Had green coolant in it of some sort. Egr is not deleted but an unknown model. I would assume that it would have been replaced when it was studded but you never know.

The first issue was at 110 on Saturday and it was just as bad as yesterday at 118. Until that point I had not seen temps that high on the freeway.

I may get a wild hair to day after work and start tearing into it. I already need a turbo on top of all this due to it leaking and likely facotry at 208k

DarkStarMedia 06-20-2017 11:51 AM

I did notice that with the ac blower on high and ambient road noise it is actually hard to hear the engine fan.

I just replaced my engine and did a new water pump and cooler. When I drove through PHX and Palm desert on Saturday ambient was hitting 105 ish and I was seeing a steady ECT of 203 ish with oil temps maxing around 216 (ECT max 208).

If I kicked off the AC blower I could hear the engine fan going as it cooled back down to 203-304.

Richard

Rusty Axlerod 06-20-2017 03:17 PM

Maybe somthing is wrong with mine but when it kicks up I check my mirror to see what kind of big truck is coming around me. It's not missable even with the tunes cranked up.

bismic 06-20-2017 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod (Post 17273676)
Maybe somthing is wrong with mine but when it kicks up I check my mirror to see what kind of big truck is coming around me. It's not missable even with the tunes cranked up.

Mine can get loud also!

xplodn 06-20-2017 06:30 PM

Well, I have a new Ford oil cooler in hard. Guess I'll start flushing now and go from there. I am certainly hoping this fixes it

xplodn 06-20-2017 08:53 PM

Since it's record breaking heat today I figured what better day to work on the truck. I have had restore in it for about 2 hours, just got back from a drive with distilled water and restore. No thermostat. I got it hot and hot the freeway, ECT 202 and EOT 215 per Ford's test procedure.

As I sit in my driveway after it now I have ECT 196 and EOT 207 after a couple minutes of idle. Still no thermostat.

Am I just wishing and hoping that the oil cooler is not bad? Is this crazy and I should just put it in? I already have one in hand.