Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Value of 2005 F350 - needs engine (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1495484-value-of-2005-f350-needs-engine.html)

Riversedge100 06-18-2017 08:32 PM

Value of 2005 F350 - needs engine

I have a 2005 F350 crew cab, brand new tires, XLT package, black, gooseneck turnover ball. Needs new engine after an injector went out and cracked the engine. Any one have any idea what I might get for it. Thought I had it bulletproofed:-roll ugh!!!

brandonrr 06-19-2017 06:34 AM

How is the condition of the rest of the truck? Body damage, Rust, Suspension, Miles, etc.

Does the engine still run? I've seen diesel trucks for sale on craigslist and shady used car lots that needed engines. There's a lot of 6.4s and common rail 5.9s with dead cylinders out there, just waiting for some poor uninformed buyer to make a huge mistake. I've come across a few that seemed to run fine, but with a little white smoke and A LOT of blowby. The average joe would probably not know any better and think it just needs a tune-up. Of course, i would never recommend screwing someone over like that.

A few years ago, i bought a dusted 7.3 with lots of mechanical issues and a rolled-back/swapped odometer. It seemed to run good, but lacked power. 142k miles was actually 300k+. I sold the truck for half of what i paid for it, disclosing the known issues and moved on knowing i learned an expensive, hard lesson.

If the rest of the truck is good, i would try to get something like 5-6k out of it and sell it with full disclosure of the problems. I'm sure there's someone out there that would love to throw a 12v cummins in it or rebuild the 6.0 to their specs.

Riversedge100 06-19-2017 07:24 AM

Rust on the back bumper and small amount on bed floor....otherwise the body is in good shape....110000 miles. Still driveable but blowing smoke and a little rough. I won't screw someone over, had that happen to me several times..just want to get something for it and move on.....already purchased another truck/ but fear we have been lied to about this one....already having transmission problems on the drive home......ugh....

TooManyToys. 06-19-2017 07:59 AM

If you can find a similar running trucks in your area see what they are selling for. First deduct what you feel other consumers would pay, then deduct the cost of having someone install a rebuilt engine. Guys who are capable of installing motor are going to bargain hunt so they are not going to be willing to pay more, they are looking for profit.

Riversedge100 06-20-2017 07:54 AM

Thanks for the responses! I have had this truck since new and hate to give it up but just can't put any more money in it....thanks again

TooManyToys. 06-20-2017 08:06 AM

It's a tough situation with a bad motor in a truck. Been there twice now with a 6.0.