Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Dragging brakes (not slide pins). (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1495475-dragging-brakes-not-slide-pins.html)

Oldanvilyoungsmith 06-18-2017 07:53 PM

Dragging brakes (not slide pins).

So, several weeks ago when I was having tires put on my truck, the guy at my shop told me my front brakes were starting to drag, and I needed to replace my front calipers. After that, I began to notice it get worse, but only on occasion (sometimes I get out of the truck to the smell of hot brakes, and sometimes they're all normal).

Upon some research I read much about the siezed slide pins, so I pulled apart the calipers on the front. Pins on the left side were somewhat locked up, so I freed them, cleaned and greased them (I do intend to reply them asap, but couldn't do it right then). The right caliper however did not have siezed pins. I went ahead and pulled them out, cleaned and greased them, but I know that's not my problem.

I do know that my right front brakes are the current problem child, when they do drag bad, I can feel the wheel hub of all 4 tires, and the other three are normally warm, but this one is bad hot.

Anything else I should check out before just replacing the caliper and bracket? I'm hoping to do that soon before they get worse.

I would like to do a full brake job, pads, rotors, calipers, etc all around the truck, but can't afford to do that right now. So for now I intend to replace the bad caliper.

Thanks ya'll. Stephen.

schlepprock250 06-18-2017 08:27 PM

The front brake lines are known to collapse and cause this. If your slide pins aren't frozen, my guess would be lines.

Oldanvilyoungsmith 06-18-2017 09:27 PM

Is that something you can see visually, or do you just have to replace them and find out? And does that cause intermittent dragging, or constant?

Thanks, Stephen.

Rikster-7700 06-18-2017 11:30 PM

It's more of an internal thing. This can be due to the hose collapsing internally causing a kind of "check valve" effect in the line. As it is due to a hose collapsing internally, then I would guess it could be either intermittent or constantly happening depending on how badly and where the hose is failing (not being a jerk, I promise! 😀 ).

Most replace these lines with a braided brake line (if due to the age of the hoses than nothing else, if you're looking for justification) for which there have been several threads associated. If you were to do a quick search if this forum, then I am sure you will glean all the necessary answers to any questions you may have on this....

JJFIVEOH 06-19-2017 12:04 AM

Glad I came across this thread, good timing. My front right caliper seized up yesterday, or a slide pin, or a hose. Either way, I was stuck for a while. Took the wheel off in the parking lot, gave everything a few taps (desperate attempt to free it up so I didn't have to be flatbedded home). After I let it cool, I limped home gingerly trying my best not to do any damage. Well, it barely got warm so it became un-seized or at the very least is much less than it was. Odd part about it is, this all happened suddenly, it hasn't been gradual over time.

Sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.

I originally thought it was the caliper but am beginning to wonder if it is the slide pins and/or brake lines. I keep seeing this link thrown around for braided lines but they're for 4WD trucks. Any recommendations for 2WD braided lines?

Also, any recommendations for calipers? Whether my calipers are bad or not, I have a long trip coming up in two weeks so I don't have the time to use process of elimination to determine what caused it. They are all original 15 year old so it wouldn't hurt to replace them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Again, sorry to the OP for dragging my sob story into it. I hope this helps answer your questions too. ;)

Walleye Hunter 06-19-2017 05:45 AM

I got my rebuilt calipers at Advance Auto and am happy so far. One thing though...when I got them one was rebuilt Ford with logo on the casting. One was brand new Chi Nee and it was defective. So...moral of the story is make sure you get remanned Ford calipers. And the word is do not go with the phenolic pistons, they seem to expand or something.

F250_ 06-19-2017 12:30 PM

I generally use Napa Ultra Premium brake parts. They've never let me down (yet).

JJFIVEOH 06-19-2017 01:22 PM

Who makes calipers with metal pistons, seems all the ones I've come across are phenolic.

No Advanced Auto even stocks calipers around here. I haven't checked NAPA yet.

Rock Auto has Cardones, but it's over $100 to ship them here in two days. Amazon has Power Stops in stock and can be here in two days for free.

If NAPA doesn't have anything locally, are Cardones worth the extra $100 in shipping over Power Stops?

Sorry for all the questions, I did do a search and there are varying opinions all over, most of them are threads.

Walleye Hunter 06-19-2017 03:17 PM

Since the ones on page 3 state that they are phenolic I would expect that those on pages 1 and 2 are metal pistons. I guess once again I have access to much more stuff than other regions do.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...hedFrom=header

AllaboutMPG 06-19-2017 03:18 PM

just bought a rear caliper from oriellys the other day and it had metal pistons and ford stamps.
also installed stainless brake hoses. brakes feel really solid.

F250_ 06-22-2017 07:48 AM

Now that I think about it, when I replaced my rear calipers last fall with the fully loaded Napa UP's, they also had the metal slide pins.

Oldanvilyoungsmith 06-22-2017 10:20 PM

That right front brake hasn't acted up since I posted this question, but as I get paid tomorrow, I'm gonna be picking up the stuff to replace the calipers and brake lines on the front axle next week.

Anyone have advice on preventing all the brake fluid from pouring​ out whilst swapping lines?

AllaboutMPG 06-22-2017 10:59 PM

Just make sure the reservoir is topped off with Dot3 and let it dribble as you swap over. The amount you lose from gravity won't be a lot. Just don't want the reservoir to drain down enough to get air in it. Have the new caliper at hand and pre fill it with fluid the best you can. Pull the line off the old, put new washers on the through bolt and thread it into the new. Will need to bleed obviously. It's a messy process so put a piece of cardboard under the rotor if working in your garage or driveway.

Nicmike 06-22-2017 11:24 PM

The 4x4 stainless line kit from Russell works fine on 4x2 trucks. You have a little extra length left over, but it does not get in the way of anything. Just zip tie them well.

schlepprock250 06-23-2017 07:03 AM

I went with Napa front brake lines about 5 or 6 years ago, so far so good. If funds allow it it would be a good idea to flush and replace the brake fluid if you never have.