Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   76 Highboy (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1493862-76-highboy.html)

applebaggins 06-07-2017 07:29 AM

76 Highboy

Howdy, folks - I'm getting ready to buy my first truck and wanted to reach out to the community here for some advice and feedback on the purchase.

https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/6145478209.html

I could pick up an 87 F250 XLT with a 460 for about $2500, but I'm in love with this Highboy. Is it worth the extra money?

Thanks!

Nerdy 06-07-2017 07:50 AM

Not a bad looking truck, though expensive. She'll clean up nicely. Might wanna check the floorpans for rust, though. It's a common problem.

If you have the extra money, I'd say go for the Highboy.

jakeharp 06-07-2017 10:36 AM

Truck

I gotta a 76' and have a bad habit of looking at the trucks for sale out west on almost a daily basis :-roll:-roll..... I would say unless your so excited about that particular truck that you cant control yourself, its a little pricey for what im seeing in those pics :-X06..... Dosent appear as tho any drivetrain work has been done recently, so for all you know your buying a complete project, which is fine, most of us around here have done that, but not for $6,500... That's a $2000-$3000 mystery truck in my area...... Granted the market out East could call for more $$, but at the end of the day, you could be looking at a serious project where the lower you can start the better............:-X22

applebaggins 06-07-2017 11:01 AM

I'm told that the truck runs great once it's running, but it needs a little carburetor love to get moving. I'm trying to line up an inspection in the area before I pull the trigger on it. I'll ask the garage to take a look for any project-related items. :D

Thanks!

F350moneypit 06-07-2017 11:07 AM

A truck from out west being sold back east may go for a premium, but here in the west that would be about a $1800-2200 truck.

The 76 is by far superior to that 1987 option.

fe390pc 06-07-2017 11:07 AM

The real scary thing is the FULLTIME 4X4. Yes these are pricey on the east coast but that truck is just overpriced. Also do not understand the 90% original comment as that is not the original bed for the truck.

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/6146037032.html

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/6163629010.html

Here are two trucks you could make one nice rig out of and have enough parts to sell and recoup some money.

PA74F250 06-07-2017 11:07 AM

Waaaay too expensive for that thing. That's like a $1800 truck in my opinion.

applebaggins 06-07-2017 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by fe390pc (Post 17245367)
The real scary thing is the FULLTIME 4X4. Yes these are pricey on the east coast but that truck is just overpriced. Also do not understand the 90% original comment as that is not the original bed for the truck.

https://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/6146037032.html

https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/6163629010.html

Here are two trucks you could make one nice rig out of and have enough parts to sell and recoup some money.

I've got a wife and two kiddos, so finding time for big projects is near impossible these days, but thanks for the links! While the purist in me would love all original equipment, it's not a sticking point for me.

As for fulltime 4wd, would that wear out quickly on dry pavement? Mostly built for off-road?

EDIT: I have enough auto repair experience under my belt to keep cars running, but much of the discussion I see on this forum is well over my head. Thanks for your patience while I try to keep up!

jakeharp 06-07-2017 12:19 PM

NP203

Well the full time 4wd isn't dirt only, but adds another dynamic to the maintenance, repair and wear factor for other components like u-joints and hubs and all the parts in-between... The preferred transfer case is the part time np205, I have the 203 like your looking at and have the time and other vehicles to drive so its not a big deal...... :-X0A6, but if this is a daily driver or your going to depend on this truck for a family member, the less worries the better.......

LeviD 06-07-2017 12:39 PM

There's lots of questions that get raised when looking at that. Definitely not worth 6,500. Says comes with rust free doors so I'm thinking there's rust on the ones on the truck, not to mention on the extra doors there's surface rust that will turn into more if you don't take care of it. Those rubber floor mats I feel like are hiding floor pan rust since the rubber would still be a more solid foot rest than carpet. You can see the rust creeping up the front of them. Rear bumper looks bent on the right side a little. Like previously mentioned that's a different bed unless they removed the trim and it has a second tank in the rear since it appears to have a small gas door, I don't think that originally had dual tanks? Look for rust at the back of the cab corners and the back. Even though bed was replaced almost looks like rust in the wheel well. That rattle can spray job is hiding a lot I feel like. They were to lazy to even do the rocker panel inside the door. The passenger side of the bed has damage and looks like possible rust under the hide everything paint job, passenger front fender was replaced, I could almost gues the hood has probably been replaced.the wheels on each side of the truck are different..... just looking at the add if i was looking to buy i honestly wouldnt even look at that truck. Theres absolutely nothing special to justify asking price or close to it and seems like the seller is hiding a lot. The mileage is most likely 172,000 not 72,000. Granted I'm on the west side, but pay ide $1500 max for that truck. Old fords are everywhere where I live though, but for 6500 I could find a real real nice truck and has had some restoring done. Hope this helps.

applebaggins 06-07-2017 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by LeviD (Post 17245582)
There's lots of questions that get raised when looking at that. Definitely not worth 6,500. Says comes with rust free doors so I'm thinking there's rust on the ones on the truck, not to mention on the extra doors there's surface rust that will turn into more if you don't take care of it. Those rubber floor mats I feel like are hiding floor pan rust since the rubber would still be a more solid foot rest than carpet. You can see the rust creeping up the front of them. Rear bumper looks bent on the right side a little. Like previously mentioned that's a different bed unless they removed the trim and it has a second tank in the rear since it appears to have a small gas door, I don't think that originally had dual tanks? Look for rust at the back of the cab corners and the back. Even though bed was replaced almost looks like rust in the wheel well. That rattle can spray job is hiding a lot I feel like. They were to lazy to even do the rocker panel inside the door. The passenger side of the bed has damage and looks like possible rust under the hide everything paint job, passenger front fender was replaced, I could almost gues the hood has probably been replaced.the wheels on each side of the truck are different..... just looking at the add if i was looking to buy i honestly wouldnt even look at that truck. Theres absolutely nothing special to justify asking price or close to it and seems like the seller is hiding a lot. The mileage is most likely 172,000 not 72,000. Granted I'm on the west side, but pay ide $1500 max for that truck. Old fords are everywhere where I live though, but for 6500 I could find a real real nice truck and has had some restoring done. Hope this helps.

This all helps tremendously. So glad I reached out to you guys! It's slim pickins where I live for almost everything, but I have to travel to Virginia for work often, so I might start looking at the market down there for something a little more turn-key.

LeviD 06-07-2017 12:48 PM

If your willing to have a truck shipped it might be worth it. Granted I have never done that but I know some people who have when buying old vehicles. The kid who bought my old 79 bronco that I regret selling flew from Georgia and drove it back (to wa) because I had barely any surface rust even on it with original paint, interior, and body. Here's an add I just literally looked up ha. Not many pics but looks way nicer than that one by far and could probably get it for 4k

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/6159754261.html

applebaggins 06-07-2017 12:55 PM

If driving one back from across the country were an option, I'd be pretty pumped! But I'll have to settle for New England to Virginia. :) Looking at some listings now.

Coleton_henry 06-07-2017 01:59 PM

Not worth 6500. Even half or 75% restored ones require work before they are perfect, but I'd take a 76 highboy over an 87 any day IMO.

burnthelight88 06-07-2017 05:36 PM

Dude says its rot free but includes extra doors and a fender? Lies! It's worth more than these guys are telling you based on the east coast factor, but still not $6500. Maybe more like $3k or under. Turbine wheels are somewhat hard to come by in good condition, rot free is hard to come by where we're from (still don't believe the guy), cap is a nice addition if you'd actually use it. The NP203 (full time 4x4) would be a little scary to me. You figure driveline wear plus gas mileage decrease, not that these get stellar mileage anyhow. The interior in this thing though, its in poor condition. The 360 is a decent engine, but the 390 would be better.

My vote, if you travel to VA, that's where to look. They don't use much salt and you should be able to find something in better condition, cheaper.