Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   01' V10 Heads upgrades? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1491991-01-v10-heads-upgrades.html)

Sinntax 05-25-2017 02:25 PM

01' V10 Heads upgrades?

Had my 2001 v10 superduty in the shop for a blown plug repair.

The shop screwed up this repair and burnt a valve.

They are now paying for a bigger shop to remove the cab and pull BOTH heads and send them in.

I just curious if anyone had any recommendations on any upgrades that would be best to do now while the cab is off and while the heads are in the shop.

Truck is 6" lift on 35's, king cab long bed.
Has K&N filter.

future ups are SC Tuner and Exhaust.

Thanks!
:oval :-drink :oval

Sinntax 05-25-2017 11:56 PM

Edit, the are paying for the heads to be pulled, just curious if there is anything I need to watch out for or I can have done in addition to.

thanks

Im50fast 05-26-2017 05:56 AM

Definitely have the exhaust manifold studs replace or upgraded. I read on this forum about a guy that had larger diameter studs installed. I can't vouch for the results. But it's intriguing. At the very least you should have them ALL replaced with new.

Along the same thoughts- get your exhaust manifolds checked with a straight edge, and lightly machined if they're out of spec. I suppose it can't hurt to get the straight edge on the head port surface also.

All these suggestions are obviously related to the problem with the studs. As far as other improvements- you could check into the "usual" performance improvements like machining the heads for increased compression, replacing camshafts for better breathing, increasing the port size, etc.
but honestly in my years on this forum I haven't seen anyone actually DO those things.

krewat 05-26-2017 09:22 AM

If they are replacing at least one of the heads, try to go for the longer-thread head from 2003+ model year.

Other than that, there is no real "upgrade" for those heads. Porting, whatever.

HOWEVER, a set of headers would really wake that thing up }>

Sinntax 05-28-2017 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Im50fast (Post 17217515)
Definitely have the exhaust manifold studs replace or upgraded. I read on this forum about a guy that had larger diameter studs installed. I can't vouch for the results. But it's intriguing. At the very least you should have them ALL replaced with new.

Along the same thoughts- get your exhaust manifolds checked with a straight edge,.

Great suggestion....

Though I was meaning more about power ups, exhaust bolts are a issue on these things so I've read.

Thanks!

Sinntax 05-28-2017 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Krewat (Post 17217969)
If they are replacing at least one of the heads, try to go for the longer-thread head from 2003+ model year.

Other than that, there is no real "upgrade" for those heads. Porting, whatever.

HOWEVER, a set of headers would really wake that thing up }>

I C in your description that you have/had the same truck as I have. What all have you done to is and what kind of net gains you get? Headers? Gears? Intake? Programmer?

THANKS!

CPaulsen 05-29-2017 06:15 PM

Why lift the cab off to pull the heads. When I had a shop do my heads..........it took them about 3 hours to pull them both without pulling the motor or lifting the cab. Had all valves replaced in my heads plus all steel inserts for the spark plugs....plus ne valve springd and both heads resurfaced.

Sinntax 05-31-2017 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by CPaulsen (Post 17224746)
Why lift the cab off to pull the heads. When I had a shop do my heads..........it took them about 3 hours to pull them both without pulling the motor or lifting the cab. Had all valves replaced in my heads plus all steel inserts for the spark plugs....plus ne valve springd and both heads resurfaced.

That is "the standard" i guess...

No clue, it is on the other shops dime.

hodge5 05-31-2017 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sinntax (Post 17221601)
Great suggestion....

Though I was meaning more about power ups, exhaust bolts are a issue on these things so I've read.

Thanks!

You read correctly. It will be 10,000 time easier to replace, even upgrade, the exhaust manifold studs while the heads are on a bench.

truckfella 05-31-2017 08:11 PM

With the cab off, should have plenty of room to install new gears! :)

Especially with 35's on a 6 inch lift.

Im50fast 06-02-2017 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by truckfella (Post 17230388)
With the cab off, should have plenty of room to install new gears! :)

Especially with 35's on a 6 inch lift.

hahahahah!

dkf 06-02-2017 10:33 PM

If I had to pull mine I'd at least smooth and polish up the combustion chambers on the heads. Maybe even try a heat barrier coating. Goal is to help prevent detonation and carbon buildup in the future.

rock2610d 06-02-2017 11:22 PM

UPGRADES, yes there are some upgrades you can do.

Valves are the same as in a 2V V8 modular motor. So you can put 1 or 2 mm larger valves in it. That will make it breath a little better.

You could put custom cams in it. Comp cams will custom grind them I think as they sell V10 cam cores.

I would put premium valve guides in it and enlarge and radius oil return holes.

Im50fast 06-03-2017 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by rock2610d (Post 17235837)
UPGRADES, yes there are some upgrades you can do.

Valves are the same as in a 2V V8 modular motor. So you can put 1 or 2 mm larger valves in it. That will make it breath a little better.

You could put custom cams in it. Comp cams will custom grind them I think as they sell V10 cam cores.

I would put premium valve guides in it and enlarge and radius oil return holes.

why would you want larger valves in the same size holes? The point of larger valves breathing better is due to the larger holes they plug up.

And id be very leery of changing the oil return holes. Unless there is a known issue I haven't heard of. It's a great idea for racing, where rpm is constantly high, but changing a street vehicle lubrication design is risky.

rock2610d 06-03-2017 12:52 PM

Sorry I thought it's a given that if you put larger valves in the seats would need enlarged too.

Anytime you can get oil back to oil pan faster it's better.